Apex

Life is choice bro thread.

20 hours ago, polley said:

Depends how long you've been riding i guess. Im still on my learners... and ride a litre bike ?

Only 12 years, 10 of which I've been on my restricted so not too long :P

15 hours ago, Olaf said:

what about the KTM390?  That's a cool bike, without going straight to eyeballs-wired R1's or similar.

PS - congrats on your licence, Paul!

While they look awesome, I currently have an SV400S which is probably just as good, if not better! Right at the top end of what LAMS allows :D

The litre bike comment was a bit of a joke haha, I'm not that keen to die just yet. Although the SV1000S does look tempting.... or perhaps a TL?

About the same here then, just never bothered moving on from my learners.. You'll be fine on a litre bike, after the first few accidental wheelies through town and out of corners you'll quickly learn what you can and cant get away with. 

What about a modern 600 or 750... these days more power than the 1100's of 30 years ago (100bhp)

38 minutes ago, Olaf said:

What about a modern 600 or 750... these days more power than the 1100's of 30 years ago (100bhp)

Very tempting to be honest, quite like the idea of a GSXR600. Especially as it tucks under the 600cc limit for higher rego ;)

I was looking at SV650S as a nice upgrade from the 400, but for the rego price and the purchase price I may as well get the SV1000S!

Moved to a brand new house this weekend - my old E39 did a Stirling job hauling the furniture trailer.

IMG_0482.JPG

Also picked up my parts car... what should I swap across first?B)FullSizeRender.jpg 

Edited by HardBall66
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HardBall66 said:

Also picked up my parts car... what should I swap across first?B)

Wheels.

On 6/16/2017 at 2:41 PM, MD13 said:

Wheels.

Yeah baby.  You know what?  Life is choice, bro.

IMG_0651.JPG

• Like 2

Picked up two new tires for the e46, overheard another customer looking for tires for their Pulsar or Primera... $270 each for Ecopias :lol: . Made me feel good about my $200 RE003s.

• Like 2

watching an episode of Wheeler Dealers that I haven't seen before:  BMW Z1!  

I still like the Z1, those door mechs are awesome.  You don't hear much about them these days, and they're pretty  low-tech with M20 running gear.

Anyone got one in NZ?

1472521771155120810.jpg

• Like 1

Had a fun weekend cruising in my E34 about Auckland, the traffic is getting worse every time I visit!  Any reservations I had about the intelligence of the purchase are slowly disapating, it's an awesome cruiser with plenty of poke for over taking, running, like a pig, but it's running, it looks great now IMO, I'm going to try spend the time to restore as much of it as I can.  Can't wait to open the exhaust up and remove the ugliest god damn exhaust tips I've seen outside of a Supercheap store.  Need to have a look under the back, but I'd love left and right double tips, maybe square upswept dtm type.IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.c3663fbf1d287e93d37d124484344340.JPG

IMG_2498.thumb.JPG.9b9caad5c150bc3761400e6fbeb18095.JPG

• Like 2

146 miles an hour when it was new, and you can get 4 pallets in the back.  Tourings are such great all-rounders. I guess a few horses must have escaped in the past 20 years, but she still goes well enough for me.

I worked in a bakery when I was a student and the boss was fairly wealthy.  Someone asked him why he hadn't bought a sports car - his reply was, "You can't get many pies in the back."   

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

• Like 1

First longish drive for about 5/6 years when I had the first of two big ops... was a wee bit nervous as to how it'd affect me but I needn't have worried... bluddy awesome!

Looking forward to a few more roadies in the coming years :)

• Like 2

@SmithyInWelly That's excellent news!, I too was concerned my (hip) op would make driving of getting in and out of low cars suck, but so far so good, just have to take it easy.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2017 at 8:07 PM, EURO V12 said:

Had a fun weekend cruising in my E34 about Auckland, the traffic is getting worse every time I visit!  Any reservations I had about the intelligence of the purchase are slowly disapating, it's an awesome cruiser with plenty of poke for over taking, running, like a pig, but it's running, it looks great now IMO, I'm going to try spend the time to restore as much of it as I can.  Can't wait to open the exhaust up and remove the ugliest god damn exhaust tips I've seen outside of a Supercheap store.  Need to have a look under the back, but I'd love left and right double tips, maybe square upswept dtm type.IMG_2497.thumb.JPG.c3663fbf1d287e93d37d124484344340.JPG

IMG_2498.thumb.JPG.9b9caad5c150bc3761400e6fbeb18095.JPG

good to see it back in the fold

bbq weather coming, 'spring'

• Like 1

After saying I'd never ever move to Auckland, I'm actually looking forward to it at the end of this year :o

• Like 2

On 8/13/2017 at 2:21 AM, huff3r said:

After saying I'd never ever move to Auckland, I'm actually looking forward to it at the end of this year :o

So i shouldn't say moving out of Auckland was the best thing I could have done?  Haha.  There is so much to do an see there.  Make the most of the coast.

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

So i shouldn't say moving out of Auckland was the best thing I could have done?  Haha.  There is so much to do an see there.  Make the most of the coast.

Well my travel time to work will be negligible so that should take most of the negatives away. And when I do come across traffic I have a motorbike ?

19 hours ago, huff3r said:

Well my travel time to work will be negligible so that should take most of the negatives away. And when I do come across traffic I have a motorbike ?

Traffic was bad but never really bothered me all that much.  I moved from Auckland to Washington DC.  One of Americas most expensive cities.  I find it cheap here...  My living costs are a fraction of what they use to be.  Auckland is crazy expensive.

@Driftit What part of DC did you end up in? I spent a bit of time in DC on a work assignment years ago, will never forget the night I got lost near the Wallmart around Landover...  I don't think that was one of the nicer parts of town.

But near the main part, the Mall and such, the architecture just kept flooring me, so gothic, i didn't expect that at all.

• Like 1

I visited D.C. A couple of times back in the 90's, and being a good car enthusiast (and running a VW GTi at the time), was looking to pick up car parts.  Asking in the office 'hey is such and such place far from here' I was lead to a wall map, they showed the the destination, then devided the map into quadrants.  "Nope, you don't want to go there.  These two zones, they're safe. These two zones, you're likely to get shot.  Don't go there.  Clear?".  Back then it was the murder capital.

Our local groups of enthusiastic and mischievous youths and adults like to identify with certain shades of red and blue pioneered in the USA... I had an experience with one such group in America...  very f**king different over there...  feels like a pantomime here.

9 hours ago, Driftit said:

Traffic was bad but never really bothered me all that much.  I moved from Auckland to Washington DC.  One of Americas most expensive cities.  I find it cheap here...  My living costs are a fraction of what they use to be.  Auckland is crazy expensive.

Rent and food won't change from here, it's all based off Manawatu anyway :D

So I think I'll actually be ok. Maybe even more than ok, I might even enjoy it :blink:

@EURO V12 I'm in the North West.  I pretty much live over the road from the National Cathedral which you can see no matter where you are in DC.

The only area you don't visit as a white man now is the South East.  Anacostia and surroundings.
The navy Yard area was once bad but is now full of brand new apartments and of course the Nationals Stadium.  Most areas are transforming and the bad areas are being pushed out.

There are four separate police forces between work and home.  Which is 7 mins away.

If the Mrs wasn't so home sick for her family I would be happy to stay here.  But I also have a 5 year limit on my visa (new rules to stop a number of countries abusing the system (Most African and Arabic countries)).  E.g. The Embassy Gardner for a small African nation was recently caught driving for Uber and had been for years.  Turns out he is the brother of the ambassador and the embassy doesn't have a garden...  It is rife with these abuses here.

If anyone is ever in DC drop me a message.  Will get you out to a Saturday morning cars and covfefe that will blow your mind.
BTW DC is worth visiting as much as NYC is when coming to the East Coast.  The Smithsonian's alone are worth it.  Who doesn't like Space Shuttles and Blackbirds..

• Like 3