Apex

Life is choice bro thread.

I Concur that DC is well worth a visit, My trip was a fail as it coincided somehow with apparently a dozen different school trips that created insane queues at most of the attractions that featured engines or aircraft of any description, thankfully i'm just as happy with artsy stuff and those attractions were all but abandoned (stumbled apon a gallery with Ansell Adams works and was happier than a pig in mud for a few hours there).

The Embassy Gardner for a small African nation was recently caught driving for Uber and had been for years.  Turns out he is the brother of the ambassador and the embassy doesn't have a garden...

That kind of thing must go on all over the show, that's pretty hilarious.

1 hour ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I recently read Sled Driver by Brian Shul, seeing a Blackbird would be very cool

Where'd you manage to find a copy? I'd like to buy one.

And having seen a couple of blackbirds IRL they are an awesome piece of machinery 

9 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

I recently read Sled Driver by Brian Shul, seeing a Blackbird would be very cool

I just added that to my reading list, cheers!

11 hours ago, eliongater said:

Where'd you manage to find a copy? I'd like to buy one.

Me too! I downloaded it. I felt guilty as it was such an awesome read so I made a donation to The Missing Wingman trust.

He is a motivational speaker amongst other things now, there are videos of him speaking on Youtube which are also pretty incredible

12 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Ah nice.  I will also add that to my list.  Stuka Pilot is another good one.  Is all about Hans Ulrich Rudel.  Dude was shot down 24 times.  Destroyed over 500 tanks.

I have also seen a few Blackbirds now.  The two best ones are here in DC and the Pima Air Museum in Arizona.  Pima one you can touch whilst being yelled at by someone telling you not to touch it.  There is the A12 on the flight deck of the Intrepid in NYC too (the weather has murdered this aircraft).  The others are all in perfect condition.

I have two more Shuttles to strike off my list too.  Endeavour and Atlantis.  These are a sight to behold.  So much bigger than you think.

Edit:  I should say.  Stuka Pilot gets a little Germlish (German + English) in places but reads really well.

https://books.google.com/books?id=xZiDCAAAQBAJ&pg=PA83&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

Stuka Pilot is on the "to read" list, I am slowly working my way through all the books by wartime pilots I can find. I wish my eyes had been good enough to do something like it for a job!

8 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Stuka Pilot is on the "to read" list, I am slowly working my way through all the books by wartime pilots I can find. I wish my eyes had been good enough to do something like it for a job!

really? do you know what the life expectancy was as a fighter pilot was when stukas were flown in anger.My dads eyesight wasnt as good as most of his mates,they were all in the RNZAF.He came back from WW2.Most of his mates didnt.He learnt to fly and maintain radar instead

• Like 1

The life expectancy of a fighter pilot was greater than any Stuka pilot, that's for sure. As for life expectancy... there was a war on. If you were going to die it may as well be in some cutting edge contraption like a stressed skin low wing monoplane!

Dude gets a mint e30 company car in episode 2 of "white gold" on netflix.

funny bit on "dogging"

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

The life expectancy of a fighter pilot was greater than any Stuka pilot, that's for sure. As for life expectancy... there was a war on. If you were going to die it may as well be in some cutting edge contraption like a stressed skin low wing monoplane!

well thats a positive way of looking at it! :)

if you guys haven't seen it, Chickenhawk is very well worth the read.   

^ +1, especially the part about chopping up through the trees using the rotor blades....

• Like 2

my family has just given me father's day present early.  I've enjoyed a glass of Rockburn pinot noir, and watched Ghost in the Shell on Blu Ray with my family.  life is grand.

May not be everyone's cup of tea, I really buzzed out on the movie.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Olaf said:

my family has just given me father's day present early.  I've enjoyed a glass of Rockburn pinot noir, and watched Ghost in the Shell on Blu Ray with my family.  life is grand.

May not be everyone's cup of tea, I really buzzed out on the movie.   

That sounds like a great day mate 

I got to sleep in and got cards from each kid. Best day in a long time. ?

• Like 1

I also dropped by RPM records in Wellington - 20% off all weekend - while I was out running errands with #1 Son.  Treated myself to two new albums.  The new LCD Soundsystem alb, and Villains by Queens of the Stone Age.  Fizzing :)

11 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

I got to sleep in and got cards from each kid. Best day in a long time. ?

that's what it's all about.  :):)

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1

The gym up here is so much quieter than Linton. So much better! 

• Like 1

Spent a couple of hours at the annual 'hot rod' show held locally here. Lots of chrome and V8 muscle! There was even a late model AM V8 Vantage on display.

The car park was just as interesting as the show. I think I've found my next goal - how is this for a special edition 'Hotwheels' ;)

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

• Like 4

Got put to work in Scott Dixon's garage on Sunday at Watkins Glenn.  Was picked out as a kiwi and they know we don't refuse.

received_10155654432770477.jpeg

DSC_0110.JPG

Parked next to this clown shoe.  I used to love these.  But for some reason I have fallen out of love with them.  Maybe it's just not dating well?

DSC_0107.JPG

• Like 5

Shoes are still great.  Looks like a good time.

3 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Are you finding your morning coffee doesn't wake you up any more? Want more punch from your cup of joe? Switch to drinking it on an empty stomach before 5am... yeeowww!!!

For anyone with this problem, I recommend kids. They never fail to wake you!

• Like 1

Just now, Young Thrash Driver said:

Ugh kids is why coffee stopped being effective

Is that a new version of the chicken or the egg? ?

Got my V2 Monaro back today after having some of the interior redone. It took a while but I am stoked!

For example the drivers seat has gone from this:

IMG_0857.thumb.JPG.5ab6e659b42e408284aa09b12a8144bd.JPG

To this:

IMG_0979.thumb.JPG.68ae7be7565e13f4aaa3a39a9ba8029e.JPG

Also reinstalled the rear seats today and I do have to say I'm impressed on just how good it looks!

• Like 4