Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

BMW E30 iS Lip Splitter install

Okay so you guys will have seen Johns thread selling the iS lips.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/52437-is-mtech2-e30-front-splitters/

I was in the very first batch, and got mine yesterday. had had a few cans so thought it was better to wait till today to install.

Today couldnt have gone any longer at work, just couldnt wait to get home!!!!!!

Anyways, lets get into it

Open the box and take it out at least a few hours before you want to install it, and lay it out flat, probably want something on it to make it flat

The screws that come supplied are woefully inadequate, these come with them from the USA, and not johns fault! chuck these in the bin.

Go to Mitre10 Mega, and pick up the following:

13682188-9F4E-4F29-9A87-E2C43F5BDDEB_zps

- 10x M4 bolts, at least 15mm long, i found a packet was cheapest

- 10x M4 nuts, you could use regular ones, i used Nyloc type, dont want it coming loose, and there is no way you would know. Mitre10 part number is 198006

- 20x washers, they are called Fender washers, a suitable size in M4 they didnt have, but they had M5/3/16" type which have worked very well. Mitre10 part number is 901484. these washers are probably not compulsory, and at a dollar a piece, you make your own decision. the lip and the splitter are acrylic and either plastic or fibreglass, so might as well. will take one knock and the heads will pull through. washers are good idea

okay once back in the shed, first step is to put on the Mighty Car Mods album on. you should only need it once

59F6EFDD-9896-4761-8D6E-83991E9CF844_zps

with the lip on the car already, sit the splitter underneath, and decide how far out you want the splitter. if you use the manufacturer holes, it sticks out a hell of a long way. Personal preferance i guess, but i didnt want a snow plow, or trip over the car every time i walked around the front.

take the lip off, put it on the bench upside down, and site the splitter on it, at the same spot. measure out where you will be wanting your holes, they need to be in the center of the lip itself

I decided they needed to be 20mm forward of the predrilled holes

FB19B33D-07A9-4411-A6B6-23C3D75C0457_zps

can be drilled roughly 20mm, doesnt need to be toooooo accurate.

drill some pilot holes with a 2mm bit. remember you are working with acrylic, you want to be carefull or it may crack.

you are drilling only into the splitter at the moment. then use a 4mm bit and open them up to the size you need for your bolts. M4 = 4mm if you didnt already know. Do this for all the holes that you want to use 27BDA2AE-7D06-4A7E-AC4E-C443B04C194B_zps

then upside down with the lip again, and clamp it in place. i used a normal g clamp and a vice grips, just what i had available.

make sure the lip is on straight, and sticking out the amount that you want.

412CB903-4628-4713-A82E-8D8FBCD7C5B0_zps

once you got that sussed, drill your first hole, through the splitter and into the lip with your 4mm bit. the one you want to start with is the very middle one, to lock in your decision how far out you want the splitter.

Then put a bolt through with a washer, and put another washer and a nylock on. it it isnt clear, you will want the head of the bolt pointing at the ground after the splitter is on the car.

57FDF925-6536-4A2C-8550-2C24DB01CAD7_zps

D72E3BA7-DBF2-4974-AD9C-C4197A866CEC_zps

Cool! nearly done! easy eh! should be onto the 4th song in the album about now!

make sure your splitter is still lined up correctly on the lip and straight!!

next drill the holes on either side of the middle one, and then bolt it in, working your way to the outside. dont work from the other side and come in, because you dont want a warp/wave in the acrylic.

at this point, hopefully you are just about done, and, needent do this next step. you may choose to do it anyay..

on mine the very edges (by where the tyres will be), it wasnt sitting against the lip, and had a bit of a wave here too.

42091D81-7015-42C4-A055-CCA9CA92424E_zps

drill a pilot hole with your 2mm, and then with your 4mm.

for this nut and bolt, you do not want a washer of course. this bolt is really only to keep it tight up, will do nothing to contribute to strength because of location.

29C3D3EC-B8B0-427D-BB1D-2A480AA3528F_zps

now the last step may or may not need to be done. if you have it mounted all the way out, you should have no excess splitter back here.if you mounted it further back, you will need to trim this, either with a hack saw, or get the grinder out like i do.

4D4CFF57-1BBE-445E-B984-76FE910510D5_zps

all nicely trimmed!

there, you are done!!

should look something like this

0BC93473-CA4F-4466-A8DA-76C16D6F6934_zps

and a couple of pictures on my cabby.

3B1AC287-75BD-42C3-8F7E-25C3B4ECDCD8_zps

0F5FDE41-8070-4FB1-8CC5-098D51555BAE_zps

you will have to wait for some better ones at hard park on sunday. its raining here so dont want to put the car outside

• Like 6

Great guide and looking good. I like how you decided to push it back slightly. Definitely less snow plow like

yeah cheers guys!

i guess those of you that have got the tech2 ones, install will be pretty similar. however you wont have so much material on the bottom of your tech2 valence.

Was thinking about this today, and i suspect what you will want to do is mount it onto a standard facelift lip (which should be mounted underneath the valance anyway, hidden from view). just dont know how it will hold up hard against the tech2. the tech2 valance comes down about the same amount as a standard lip, iS lip hangs much lower.

one of you guys that is doing the tech2 install could note any variations, or make another thread if totally different, would be great!

Andy

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Great thread, but if I can point out one thing?

Use stainless bolts and nuts. Zinc wont last very long at all as it is designed for indoor use only.

The last thing you want is your bolts rusting through and you driving over your splitter.

And there is a reason the washers were expensive - they are stainless and not zinc.

The stainless washers are compulsory imo.

I see you are selling your v12 wagon on trade me - sad times :(

Great thread, but if I can point out one thing?

Use stainless bolts and nuts. Zinc wont last very long at all as it is designed for indoor use only.

The last thing you want is your bolts rusting through and you driving over your splitter.

And there is a reason the washers were expensive - they are stainless and not zinc.

The stainless washers are compulsory imo.

I see you are selling your v12 wagon on trade me - sad times :(

nuts will be stainless too, but hey thanks for that, will keep an eye on it!

yeah mixed feelings, but for now its still here. doesnt get used much

Looking good Andy.

Amazing how something so small and simple can drastically alter the way a car looks.

I likee.

yeah it works so well because of the design how E30 bumpers come out from the front of the car etc.

• Like 1

looks really good andy

• Like 1