Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

316ti Race Car

nice work

I like your airbag :)

looks like you could do with a quicker rack ?

What are you using for a lap timer ...

Andriod phone + Racechrono pro + bluetooth 10hz GPS

• Like 1

Andriod phone + Racechrono pro + bluetooth 10hz GPS

Sweet, I'll have to do that sometime.

avcilypn.1xm.jpg

What an awesome first weekend out. The car is now safely home and in one piece, not even a scratch on what is one of the few cars that drove to and from the track, running flawlessly the whole time.

The entire weekend people kept coming up to me and cracking jokes about my little hatchback, name likes "shopping wagon", "little girls car" and "hairdresser's car" were thrown around, but after people had a look at in on the track the names changed to "it's pretty f**king quick", "What the hell is it" and "that's not a 316ti".

Race 3 was a good race with me setting my best lap time of the weekend, but also managing to gain .3 of a second on sector 1 by adding 2psi to the front tyres which made it a lot more stable in high speed corner entry.

My best lap ended up being a 1:13.301 but going off best sectors for race 3 the car is capable of a 1:13.081, then if you take the best sectors from all 3 races, the car is capable of a 1:13.037, but with 2psi extra the car was loosing a few hundredths in the slower corners. Still stoked I was able to get pretty close to my goal of a 1:13.0 by weekends end.

Here is a video of my best lap, a bit of drizzle in this

Now its time to cut out 100kg+ of weight, get a swirl pot so I don't have to run a full tank to avoid surge(-40kg), get a tune to add some HP (+30rwhp) and add a rear wing so I can keep the rear end under control. New goal will be 1:11.0 around Hampton Downs.

• Like 7

Race 2 - Handicap Start

Race 3 - Grid Start - Drying track

• Like 2

Nice driving in the handicap race, especially overtaking two cars on the final turn.

I think brent is right though - you need a quicker rack.

• Like 1

Nice driving on the weekend, also good on you for putting your vids up here.

Can I ask you some questions on your front sway bar set up..........

1) what size diameter is it and

2) is it attached to the control arm as in a standard e36 or to the shock like a M3.

3) do you use M3 king pins.

Edited by rich

Nice driving on the weekend, also good on you for putting your vids up here.

Can I ask you some questions on your front sway bar set up..........

1) what size diameter is it and

2) is it attached to the control arm as in a standard e36 or to the shock like a M3.

3) do you use M3 king pins.

1) E36 6 cylinder M Sport Bars front and rear, I think the front is 25.5mm

2) Attached to the control arm

3) Front spindles are E36 M3 Evo

It's no secret what I am using as the everything is pretty much OEM E36, kind of makes the whole thing quite comical when the cars I am racing around all have AP racing brakes, dry sumps, carbon airbox's, adjustable sway bars, modified motors etc etc, I think I was the only car there still running carpet :)

• Like 4

glad to hear there's still some common sense in the open class.

Not everyone's got $250k to burn.

glad to hear there's still some common sense in the open class.

Not often the words "common sense" get mentioned in a post about James and racing!!

But, seriously, it is a damn, damn good car and still has heaps of potential. Not going to trouble the $$$$ machines at the very pointy end, but that was not the objective. A reliable (hence stock parts) and low(ish) cost to run in the enduros was the aim.. Can't wait for the first round, will be grouse!!

• Like 1

Tried out some tunes on the Revolution Dyno Centre dyno. I still need to dial in the tune but have already got massive gains in the midrange.

post-3670-0-79460200-1455569439_thumb.jppost-3670-0-67627500-1455569447_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Spent some time on the dyno yesterday fixing the fuel and trying to smooth out the power with Bredon and Josh. Some good gains over stock for what ended up being a pretty safe map.

Doing a trackday on Friday to see what difference the gains make.

post-3670-0-03760100-1457492029.png

• Like 2

I finished 5th in the 1 hour, but was 3rd in the pitstop at 30min. Due to the stock fuel system and no pit crew I had to jump out to put 24L of fuel in, which cost enough time to drop the 2 positions. Managed to get maximum value from the slicks. Now to loose some weight, add a wing and turn it into a proper race car.

Having a glance over the data, turns out more horsepower really helps, who would have guessed?

OEM ECU

Best Sectors:

S1 - 22.94

S2 - 24.45

S3 - 25.69

Total - 1:13.08

Top Speed into last turn - 172kmh

Top Speed into first turn - 211kmh

Tuned ECU with +5rwhp peak and +30rwhp midrange.

Best Sectors:

S1 - 22.82

S2 - 24.35

S3 - 25.04

Total - 1:12:21

Top Speed into last turn - 180kmh

Top Speed into first turn - 218kmh

S1 is from the start line to just after turn 3

S2 is from just after turn 3 to the hairpin.

S3 is from the exit of the hairpin and is basically all open throttle.

post-3670-0-21304500-1457766319.jpg

• Like 1

Pity he didn't do a 1.12.21, eh James, optimum doesn't count...

Pity he didn't do a 1.12.21, eh James, optimum doesn't count...

I did two full laps at 1.12.5 pace but because I had to pass a car round the outside at the final corner both times ended up doing 1.12.9

Then when the canvas came through, well stringing a perfect lap together was never going to happen.

My new goal will be 1.10.5 when I put my car on a diet, get new tyres and fit a rear wing.

Nice James, I'll get there one day to play.

You know you're good when you can do your optimum, 2 tenths is my closest, normally about 4 or 5 tenths off tho.

Can you detail what you did to the motor when you rebuilt it?

Is it stock m3 cams etc?

Nice work. I had a few people comment to me since you where out there on Friday about this "little fast white BMW" hahaha

If you decide to do another enduro and need service crew just let me know and will do my best to get down there.

Can you detail what you did to the motor when you rebuilt it?

Is it stock m3 cams etc?

It's almost 100% OEM S50b32 except I added uprated valve springs so that if I ever choose to upgrade the cams I don't have to pull the head apart. Since I have vanos, all the trickery is in getting the ecu tuning right.

Nice work. I had a few people comment to me since you where out there on Friday about this "little fast white BMW" hahaha

If you decide to do another enduro and need service crew just let me know and will do my best to get down there.

It was part of the doing everything, but will keep you mind for next time.

• Like 1