Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Angel eyes & black lenses - WoF legal?

Not for the E46!!!

I was having a chat with a guy earlier today who had a very nice-looking E36 coupe. He was picking up some bits'n'pieces before heading home to fit angel eyes and black-tinted indicator lenses.

Got me thinking... Are these actually legal for a WoF? The black lenses show orange when the indicators are used, of course.

no and no.

any kind of angel eyes that dont come factory fitted are illegal (this also includes retro fitting it to e46's that done actually have it even though the newer e46's do come with it factory)

and kind of modification done to the lenses of any lights are also illegal (tints, spray tints etc)

people still do it and most wont get caught even at some wof stations!

Guest MP0wer

I have angle eyes, never had wof issues, have had black lences done too on a silvia, never had issues. might depend where you go actually.

no and no.

any kind of angel eyes that dont come factory fitted are illegal (this also includes retro fitting it to e46's that done actually have it even though the newer e46's do come with it factory)

and kind of modification done to the lenses of any lights are also illegal (tints, spray tints etc)

people still do it and most wont get caught even at some wof stations!

This is pretty much what I thought.

I have angle eyes, never had wof issues, have had black lences done too on a silvia, never had issues. might depend where you go actually.

And this is where a tester is prepared to differentiate between a safe and roadworthy car, and one which complies with the letter of the testing manual.

Thanks guys. :)

basically no one really cares about your aftermarket angel eyes or tinted tail lights and ive done both on my previous cars.

have been pulled over by a cop for having completely black taillights on a black car (when in use all the lights light up fine though) but he told me to remove the black tint or get new taillights and let me off with a warning.

never bothered to do the black taillights thing after that. what i think is really stupid are those holdens and ford suv's with blacked out front headlights that basically renders the headlights useless. its quite common now and dealers do that for you if you want when you buy a car! its crazy..

never bothered to do the black taillights thing after that. what i think is really stupid are those holdens and ford suv's with blacked out front headlights that basically renders the headlights useless. its quite common now and dealers do that for you if you want when you buy a car! its crazy..

Agree this is the dumbest thing you can do on a car and I can't for the life of me understand it, maybe I need to drink Fosters or xxxx to get it

Don't think fitting angel eyes is illegal as they are not considered a 'cosmetic' rather than functional light but fitting tinted lenses will be, although it is okay to buy a complete light assembly that came with tinted lenses from the factory.

Fyi the angel eyes are not illegal so long as they are used as park lamps for the front. I have never also never had a problem with my tinted rear tail lights because they look like they left the factory that way and do not effect the light emitted from them whatsoever. Further more they have adequate reflectors showing

Posted Image

• Like 1

www.vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/lighting

nothing specific here :/ might be in the wof mans bible

Fyi the angel eyes are not illegal so long as they are used as park lamps for the front. I have never also never had a problem with my tinted rear tail lights because they look like they left the factory that way and do not effect the light emitted from them whatsoever. Further more they have adequate reflectors showing

Where did you get yours done? I still want to get mine done along with the glass tints

Where did you get yours done? I still want to get mine done along with the glass tints 

the same guy that did my rim painting did the lights ages ago. Unfortunately he is gone away from NZ for a year or so and its hard to find anyone with his level of competency to be honest :(

Are they acute or obtuse?

Guest MP0wer

Are they acute or obtuse?

red eyes mate. I have red acute angle eyes.

my car has white angle eyes. both driver and car passed wof fine.

Passing a WOF isn't the issue. Plenty of places will pass them, the issue will arise if you have to make an insurance claim. The tinted lens will void your insurance. Angel eyes won't.

• Like 1

I thought those blacked out headlights were just clip on covers that get removed? Well the ones I have seen have been.