Sign in to follow this  
rowans17

Autosure Mechanical Insurance

Hey guys,

Not BMW related post unfortunately, but recently bought a car through Turners that was repossessed by a finance company and sold as is. Car has a few issues like noisey diff, oil light and airbag light which i had budgeted repairs into.

However, while vacuuming the car tonight i found a booklet for Autosure Extreme cover mechanical insurance valid until 2017. It's still in the previous owners name it says in the booklet he needs to sign something to change name and i'm unsure how he would feel about having a phone call from me after having his car repossessed.

Interested to know if anyone has any experiance with these guys? Would it be possible to claim for my diff etc under the prev owners name? Or transfer it without contacting him?

Any advice appreciated

Hey guys,

Not BMW related post unfortunately, but recently bought a car through Turners that was repossessed by a finance company and sold as is. Car has a few issues like noisey diff, oil light and airbag light which i had budgeted repairs into.

However, while vacuuming the car tonight i found a booklet for Autosure Extreme cover mechanical insurance valid until 2017. It's still in the previous owners name it says in the booklet he needs to sign something to change name and i'm unsure how he would feel about having a phone call from me after having his car repossessed.

Interested to know if anyone has any experiance with these guys? Would it be possible to claim for my diff etc under the prev owners name? Or transfer it without contacting him?

Any advice appreciated

I'm not a lawyer but I'm pretty sure making a claim under somebody else's name without their knowledge would fall into the "against the law" category.

I also think that whilst Autosure has been great to deal with (for me) if there is any reason for them to not have to pay out i.e. change of ownership hasn't been completed I doubt they'd side with you

Best course of action. Give the fellow a call (even though he probably wouldn't be too impressed) and offer him $100 and a box of brews to change the name over to you. If he got a car repo-ed he'd probably (stab in the dark) be keen on some cash his way.

^sounds like good advice.

hope all goes well and let us know how it goes :)

• Like 1

What's the chances of the last owner having met his servicing obligations under the warranty?

If it's not been serviced, they might tell you to jog on anyway.

What's the chances of the last owner having met his servicing obligations under the warranty?

If it's not been serviced, they might tell you to jog on anyway.

It says in the policy documents that it must be serviced every 12 months / 15000kms . And it was last serviced 11months ago / 14,000kms. :D

Thanks TJ and Qube, have sent him a text offering some beer money to sign the transfer form. Fingers crossed.

Have you spoken with Autosure? Assuming you can provide them with enough documentation to support the car now being legally in your possession, they may just change the name over?