Sign in to follow this  
Family Wagon

WTB: E36 M3 1995 S50B30 Vanos Solenoid

Hi there,

Looking for a Vanos Solenoid for E36 M3 1995 NZ New S50B30.

Existing one seems to be failing intermittently, everything else in the Vanos has been rebuilt.

Hoping to find one quickly and not too crazy $ - track day on Monday! :(

post-51498-0-21098500-1429660136_thumb.j

Thanks Dave, I know, it's weird to fail that way. I quizzed my mech and they say they've cleaned and tested it umpteen times, they think it's shorting within the actual solenoid. There's a second hand one available from down the line, but you are right I need to be 100% sure my current one can't be recovered. Even second hand they are pricey.

have you tried re-soldering the circuit board contacts? Fairly common point of failure there and can cause intermittent failure.

Hi Kelvin, yes, that's a good suggestion about the circuit board, and I'm aware the wires themselves can dry and break but they seemed to think it is shorting inside the solenoid.

I'll do more quizzing in the morning and see.

Hey Dave

That's an awesome offer to test the solenoid at your place. Where are you based? If nothing else I'd just love to see your car! :)

We can PM about the details.

Second hand part seems to run about six hundy or so. New was $1k +

had a look for a whole vanos unit on ebay from the Uk or something? Probably not a hell of a lot more expensive and will have spares.

True, I think rebuilt units could be found for the new price of the solenoid.

I've got a number of track days lined up (already paid for) so the timeframe to source a whole unit from offshore would be a bit of a problem.

I've got a the second hand solenoid coming up from down the line tomorrow, but before we install it I have to ensure there's no chance of resurrecting the existing solenoid or tracing the problem elsewhere.

I'm certainly blowing my vanos rebuild budget. I bought the beisan kit and thought it'd be more straight forward...

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!!