Sign in to follow this  
actletpone

2k cup bmw's?

Mostly asking about e30's, but would be interested to hear about e36's too. Has anyone here ran an e30 in the 2k cup?, just interested to know how they hold up against the other cars?

dont have factual evidence, however BMWs both in 1600cc class and 2000cc class well down in power (and up in weight) compared to japanese vehicles

• Like 1

IMO and only my opinion, from what I saw on the track some of the drivers have proably had a bit of help getting in.. there's no way some of those cars cost $2000 or less.

• Like 3

You would do well to get a manual E30

For under 2 grand I would have thought..

Considering the manual conversion in it would go for $1200 on its own.

You would do well to get a manual E30

For under 2 grand I would have thought..

Maybe? Was thinking an older + rougher 320 could probably still be picked up for that.

There is an E30 320i racing in the series, goes hard but came 3rd to last out of 70 cars at Taupo. I never questioned it on price because the driver has a cool livery and it was never going to do well, I am pretty sure he still bought it for $2k though.

• Like 1

I think for fun factor they would be great, but if you wanted to be properly competitive you'd need to go Japanese.

When you can pick up a 4age Levin with the best part of 150hp per tonne as a 2k cup car, it's going to be too hard to compete with those in such racing.

I seriously considered entering an E36 320i because it would be a lot of fun. Sadly the power to weight ratio would be no where near competitive with b18c Integras and 4AGE Levins. I think the BMW race series needs to introduce a new class for E36s with the same stock type rules for 2k Cup cars. 328i's out there tearing it up!

• Like 2

I seriously considered entering an E36 320i because it would be a lot of fun. Sadly the power to weight ratio would be no where near competitive with b18c Integras and 4AGE Levins. I think the BMW race series needs to introduce a new class for E36s with the same stock type rules for 2k Cup cars. 328i's out there tearing it up!

It's the only downside to a series like the 2k cup - it can tend to become dominated by specific models.

Regardless, it is 'budget' racing, as far as the word 'budget' can be applied!

Can someone please tell me how they regulate the vehicles to be equal in the 2K cup ? We get numerous calls a week at work from drivers building cars that are not really "factory" spec.

Can someone please tell me how they regulate the vehicles to be equal in the 2K cup ? We get numerous calls a week at work from drivers building cars that are not really "factory" spec.

If a car isn't on the approved list, it can be admitted at the discretion of the organisers. List here.

At the end of the season, the rules state the organiser can purchase any participants 2k cup racecar for $2500. So, pile $10k into your car, and you could lose it. Anyone exhibiting a distinct advantage will be inspected and either handicapped, or withdrawn from the series.

The main factor is one of power-to-weight ratio, but with a maximum engine power output quoted in the rules. (I don't know how they invigilate this.)

There's more. Rules here.

Obviously not, that's why they have over 90 cars racing at each meeting.

A lot of the rules are being broken by people who seem to miss the point, but at least we get epic cars like this entering, sure it comes 3rd to last but at least he's having a blast and taking the piss while doing it:

h1fegtut.054.jpg

• Like 2

A lot of the rules are being broken by people who seem to miss the point, but at least we get epic cars like this entering, sure it comes 3rd to last but at least he's having a blast and taking the piss while doing it:

For me, that's what it is about. A (relatively) cheap way to get on to the track, race and have fun.

What engine is he running?

God yes. I would be all over that.

would have thought the E30 series days are numbered too, with a new car costing 4k before you get in to tarting it up.

lord knows its put E30 parts pricing through the roof.

I wouldn't put it quite like that - there are still a few years left in the E30s yet, with literally 100s of eligible race cars around, but yes there are fewer cars left to build up into a race car now.

The planning process is already underway in terms of where to go next with the control series, looking at possibly E46 or E90 as the new base cars.

• Like 1

I have to seriously question the 2k thing cost wise, i was there weekend just gone and watched a manual Silvia rotating in the field,i could be wrong but when do you ever see one of them under 2k?

Did see the E30 cruzin home after the meeting followed him for a while up the motor way

• Like 1

The Silvia was a genuine $2k purchase that needed a few things tidied up, in saying that we give a bit of slack for people who are racing in the series for the fun of it. We take great pride in our integrity and we were not swayed by the fact his family also catered the last round free of charge, we are not suckers for free food so make sure if you ever need a food truck you contact https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hungri-Hunter-Ltd/299962780017228 because it was a damn fine feed.

Ok, maybe our integrity goes out the window when you put on catering at the final round :)

• Like 3

Ill have to take your word on that, standing watching with some of my nissan customers they too struggled to believe it was only 2k

Just read the bit about the family who owned the silvia supplied the catering free, swayed or not some wouldnt look upon that well just saying as it leaves the door wide open for finger pointing

Edited by crunchy

Everyone seems to have forgotten about the Integra that ran a type R gearbox in season one and got away with it, he did also provide catering for the final round. Starting to see a theme here....

The majority of the people in 2KCUP will take free food over integrity of the rules(this is proven when we vote for penalties), because everyone knows what a real $2k car is, who have spent mega bucks and who is just having a bit of cheap fun.

• Like 2