Sign in to follow this  
Polish_Boy

Tuning stock 135i HP gains? Advice?

Hi Guys,

First time in years ive actually gone on a forum so hi there !

Thers a guy that works for High Velocity or something or rather that can dyno tune my car for $1000 Bux, and he says expect 50hp gain at the flywheel at least... also alot mid-range torque... sounds tempting, this is on a fullt stock 135i

Have you guys had any expirence with this??

As looks like I will be going aheadf once I free up some more cash...

Interested in your throughts or perhaps light-mod suggestions, I was thinkg maybe exhause and intercooler then take it to the tuner?

Keen to hear thoughts !

Thanks !

Have a talk to Ross at BM Workshop first regarding the mods (09) 2716636. Then get Gavin @ High Velocity to do the remap

$1000 for 50hp is about as good bang for buck as your going to find

• Like 1

Claims sound about right. just double check that they can dyno 135i. At a recent dyno day we saw issues trying to dyno a 335i wagon. The traction control wouldn't disengage regardless of settings. It limited the rpm to around 4000 rpm from memory.

We did however see a 1M in the mid 400's and 550 nm of torque at the crank so the 3.0 turbo has tonnes of potential.

Yeh +50 HP and +100NM of torque is easy on the N54 engines.

Would recommend you get a walnut blast done before any mods/tuning

(http://blog.modbargains.com/get-nuts-feed-bmw-n55-walnuts-get-clean-tune/)

Used the Hi-Velocity and Torque Peformance dyno without any issues , had issues with the dyno at MCR

+100HP on my 98 Map

+140HP on my E50+ map

But my 335i is FBO (full bolt on) - Tune, Intercooler, downpipes, intake, exhaust,

misfire's are the common issue once power etc has been dialled up - would check on spark plugs life etc (I just replaced them all before the tune/mods)

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

I heard flared arches get you the same power too? might be trying too hard though

• Like 2

Yeh +50 HP and +100NM of torque is easy on the N54 engines.

Yup, the power delivery is controlled through the mapping in standard tune. Hence the long, flat line in the torque curve.

The design engineers did put that in there for a reason though, it's not as if anyone says "that's too much power, turn it down" without a good reason....

The design engineers did put that in there for a reason though, it's not as if anyone says "that's too much power, turn it down" without a good reason....

maybe they turned down the power as so not to compete with their M3 flagship model.........

Guest MP0wer

Hi Guys,

First time in years for $1000 Bux he says expect 50hp gain at the flywheel at least.

Listen friend, Gavin is a decent bloke, had a lot of friends with BMW's recommend me to him, even here hes got a good rep.

But if I were you, I would offer him 2K. Double the power, and add some flared arches like Josh suggested, it gives the car more room to crash into, and take damage it also improves handling, aero, and gives better fuel economy.

Let me know what Gavin can do for 2K. I am going to try real hard to get him in a month.

Edited by MP0wer

Listen friend, Gavin is a decent bloke, had a lot of friends with BMW's recommend me to him, even here hes got a good rep.

But if I were you, I would offer him 2K. Double the power, and add some flared arches like Josh suggested, it gives the car more room to crash into, and take damage it also improves handling, aero, and gives better fuel economy.

Let me know what Gavin can do for 2K. I am going to try real hard to get him in a month.

Gavin Dyno tunes ,hes not a magician if you want bigger numbers you will need bolt ons. Downpipes, intercooler , intake etc . And a lot more than 2K

I am in the same boat as you - have a stock 135i and still considering my options for upgrades - one question John how long have you owned your 135?

When I bought my car 2mths ago I was very close to buying exhaust, downpipes, charge pipe, intake etc + Cobb Accessport V3 online from US within a week, however I spoke to a number of owners, mechanics (incl Ross), and tuners and eventually settled on no upgrades at all (apart from replacing run-flats). Rather I was advised just to enjoy the car for what it is for the time being.

It is a smoking good car from factory and you need to understand how you car is suited to your driving style before throwing money at it. For some it may be more power to keep those JDM's at bay, others it may be suspension, mounts, tyres etc to maximise the stock power through the hills in the weekend. Or if you're Suresh it is all the above!

By all means take your car and make it yours, just ensure you are doing it because you feel it will enhance the your driving experience, not because the internet said so

• Like 1

If you get the opportunity drive a modded N54 then you can make that choice. Its a big difference and hard to go back from. If I run the stock map it feels like i'm jumping into a 318

• Like 1

I know that's why I'm taking my time! It is like you pick up a new game and straight away input the cheat for all weapons instead of playing through it first - kinda spoils the fun! It is inevitable in the end but the more you own it the more you appreciate the changes.

That is why I asked how long he had owned it for - if it has been a while then I would entirely be in support of a tune!

Yip I had a stock 135i for a few minutes, thankfully now stage2+FMIC with Accessport.

Couldnt possibly go back to stock. Bloody MAD