Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

2016 BMW 7 Series Will Park Itself With No One in the Car

BMW has released new details on its upcoming next-generation 7 Series sedan including one particularly amazing feature.

The German automaker wants to set a new benchmark for luxury and technology with the 2016 BMW 7 Series model and has revealed that the new sedan will weigh up to 287 lbs lighter than the current model.

The weight savings is made possible thanks to the Carbon Core at the heart of the 7 Series’ body structure and is based on technology developed by the company’s i sub-brand. According to BMW, the carbon fiber material also helps increase torsional rigidity and strength on the sedan.

SEE ALSO: 2016 BMW 7 Series Spied in Aggressive Trim

BMW also revealed that the new 7 Series will benefit from a turbocharged six-cylinder engine offering while its handling performance will be enhanced with the first electromechanically-driven Dynamic Drive roll stabilization system.

But the biggest news is that the 2016 BMW 7 Series will be the first production car to be able to park itself using a remote control. The remote control option will allow owners to get out of their vehicles and have the 7 Series park itself in extremely tight parking spaces and can tell the vehicle to enter or exit a parking space fully automatically through the BMW Display Key. The technology is still being discussed with regulators in some countries as BMW works on getting it approved in all markets.

Another first for the 2016 BMW 7 Series will be gesture control, the ability for the car’s infotainment system to understand gestures and the automaker believes it’ll be an industry first. The system uses a 3D sensor to detect hand movements and the gestures can be used for numerous functions including controlling the radio’s volume and accepting or rejecting phone calls.

Source:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/the-2016-bmw-7-series-will-park-itself.html

I like that presenter.

But I can't help but find that remote control feature far too gimicky. Purely a party trick so you can pretend to be James Bond in Tomorrow Never dies with 007 Motorolla controlled E38, except not as fancy :P

When would one actually use it in reality?

When the car is too big for the garage, and the fat driver can't get out of the car when it's parked.

I kid you not, this has happened and people have asked to "return" their new car once they have realised that they can't actually park it in their garage... :wacko::blink::huh:

• Like 1

pretty amazing technology if you ask me. People probably said the same thing about never finding the need to use it when Ipads etc came out. Now everyone and their 2 year old son has this technology...pretty innovative and could definitely help in certain situations.

Edited by EUROHO

Ah but will it do skids on 2nd-3rd gear change?

• Like 6

When the car is too big for the garage, and the fat driver can't get out of the car when it's parked.

I kid you not, this has happened and people have asked to "return" their new car once they have realised that they can't actually park it in their garage... :wacko::blink::huh:

I thought such.

But on the contrary, if you can afford such a large expensive car, your garage and house should be able to accommodate it.

Then again, I could see how this would be useful for tight spaces in concrete parking blocks under offices etc - although Im sure such tolerances would be too small and the program wont allow it to park automatically.. hopefully BMW did it properly.

Awesome, are they filming things in NZ again?

Definitely look like it.

I'm sure that home is the 'II Viaggio' on the Shotover won best home over 300sq meters last year.

• Like 1

I like that presenter.

But I can't help but find that remote control feature far too gimicky. Purely a party trick so you can pretend to be James Bond in Tomorrow Never dies with 007 Motorolla controlled E38, except not as fancy :P

Funny. I was thinking that. What you want, is all that to be controlled via an app on your smart phone, who wants to carry around a big key?

Also. My $20,000 Clio daily driver has a large touch screen nav and entertainment system powered by LG that is fantastic, much better than I-Drive on cars costing 10x that. About time they ditched this I-Drive sh*t and go full touch screen, we all use touch screen, it is mainstream. I-Drive is possibly the second dumbest thing BMW have done after SMG... I love how they take years to phase out their mistakes, bangle, smg.. now lets kill I-Drive please.

Keen to see is this new 7 brings anything truly innovative to the segment, seems they are always way off compared to the S Class in innovation.

Self park is nothing new either, Audi have been doing it for new 10 years in concept, its only lawyers that are holding it back, hell, Audi will have self driving cars available to the public in under 5 years.

Cmon BMW.

#hater.

• Like 1

Clever filming. Showing the car without actually showing the car.

• Like 1

Self park is nothing new either, Audi have been doing it for new 10 years in concept, its only lawyers that are holding it back, hell, Audi will have self driving cars available to the public in under 5 years.

Actually... it was available on the VW Touran in 2006, for the 2007 model year - so VW had it close to 10 years ago... but you sat in the car to do it.

I think sitting in the car is better, because you don't have to stand in the rain watching your new 7 fail to park itself, because one parking sensor is faulty.

again :lol:

• Like 1

Actually... it was available on the VW Touran in 2006, for the 2007 model year - so VW had it close to 10 years ago... but you sat in the car to do it.

I think sitting in the car is better, because you don't have to stand in the rain watching your new 7 fail to park itself, because one parking sensor is faulty.

again :lol:

What's the point of sitting in the car you might as well drive it, isn't the purpose to park in tight spots and avoid those big arse doors getting scratched when you get out?

This becomes commen we might have narrow real estate to park for car parks, jam them in

Well its definitely Queenstown looking back to queenstown from the Kingston Road.
They seem to like it here as people dont know what it is round here and 0 real motoring paparazzi

Yes. Because your average kiwi will think its just another BMW. Because, well, it will just be another BMW! Im so lost that there are actually new BMW's that I didn't know existed. I spotted a 435i 4-door the other day, I didn't even know they made a 4-door version of a two door version of a four door! So many models.

But. I did spot a nice new X5 yesterday. Now that was an impressive looking car.

Self park, as in a car that "valets" it self would be handy. I was reading that Mercedes already have self driving cars but they are not allowed to release them yet. Would be handy in morning traffic. Think of all the Facebooking/work you could get done on the way to work.

• Like 3

Would be handy in morning traffic. Think of all the Facebooking/work you could get done on the way to work.

I would estimate that it would be about the same amount as half the people seem to do already, using the "nodding dog" technique of holding the phone down low to avoid being spotted by the Police and looking up every 5 seconds or so.

I like to gently touch my brake pedal just as they look up - so they sh*t themselves as the sight of brake lights, makes the morning commute much more fun.

• Like 3

I like that presenter.

A lot of places in the US have valet parking and I know for a lot of people over there with nice cars it's a constant battle with parking and the types of people who will be driving your car. So probably not a bad idea when it comes to untrustworthy valets who ding up the car if they don't get enough of a tip.

We're really lucky living in New Zealand I feel.

I would estimate that it would be about the same amount as half the people seem to do already, using the "nodding dog" technique of holding the phone down low to avoid being spotted by the Police and looking up every 5 seconds or so.

I like to gently touch my brake pedal just as they look up - so they sh*t themselves as the sight of brake lights, makes the morning commute much more fun.

hahaha awesome. I love the ones that sit at the green lights even though the traffic has well and truley left. Or honking at them juuuuuuuuuuust before the light youre on turns green by the time they look up (and sh*t themselves) its green, and they think theyve been there for ages.

• Like 1

That guy is doing well for a 30 year old!

I love the S-Class "starring assist" hack.

hahaha awesome. I love the ones that sit at the green lights even though the traffic has well and truley left. Or honking at them juuuuuuuuuuust before the light youre on turns green by the time they look up (and sh*t themselves) its green, and they think theyve been there for ages.

I pull up next to them and slowly creep forward, then I'll rev the engine like I'm taking off and then watch them take off into the intersection thinking the light is green.

• Like 1