Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Diesel

Typically ill-informed decision making. "CO2 is killing the planet we must reduce CO2", "NO2 is killing the planet , we must reduce NO2" are they dyslexic or just stupid?

Not only are they trying to address the issue by targeting the third highest contributor - lets just ignore the electricity generating power stations and old heating equipment and go for an easy target, but they are also only focussing on one particular emissions gas, what about the HC emissions, and CO2 (oh, sorry that was last week's new) and particulates, and the other NOx, etc....

And as for alternatives for HT... there is a reason there aren't any non-diesel trucks out there.

Looks and sounds very much like a bit of Tory-graph spin to have a go at the previous Labour Government and their transport policies.

• Like 4

In the eighties it was ban the diesels they are causing acid rain, then it was ban lead in petrol because it is damaging our brains.

Now ? ban the most fuel efficient low polluting cars so we can continue with a fleet of shitty old diesel trucks and other large polluters.

The acid rain has gone and so has the lead in the petrol, now we only have the brain damaged left or should that be 'right'.

are you implying lead is harmless?

Is it just me or does the whole Eurozone thing seem like a complete cock up?

• Like 2

I agree...ban all diesel cars. Modern diesels have a chemical factory bolted to the back of the engine as the crap in diesel has to be filtered out to make it burn cleanly. These particulate filters self clean during a controlled high temperature regeneration cycle - the invisible chemical crap is a major pollutant. It's irresponsible to own a diesel these days.

It's funny how the Governments of the world do a LOT of talking and spending about reducing polution, but the policies don't actually do it... like the "smoke tests" they introduced in NZ years ago!

In reality, there is a simple solution to reducing vehicles emmisions - use them less. If they actually made cycling, walking, running, scootering etc feasible it would reduce emmisions. Instead, the alternatives are compromised, to ensure vehicular traffic remains more popular.

gee i wonder what will happen when there 11 million more petrol cars on the road to replace the diesels?

• Like 1

I thought the poms were in the process of banning cars over a certain age and engine capacity from inner cities?

Go on about cycle ways and public transport all you want, if you choose to take that instead of a 200km/week commute in your 10l/100km car, the reduced carbon foot print is laughable. I understand some people get the warm and fuzzies over thoughts like that though.

Either way diesel passenger cars are a fad that is soon to die out, hopefully along with the OTT resale prices.

As for carbon footprint, I'm in a workshop with 50 of these. I went driving last month as we were short of drivers and we'd caught up on maintenance. 620hp and 170 tonne. Full noise up hill she sucks one litre every 200m. Or 500l/100km. More fun than public transport.

post-51851-0-24439700-1430561917_thumb.j

Edited by coop
  • Like 2

I agree...ban all diesel cars. Modern diesels have a chemical factory bolted to the back of the engine as the crap in diesel has to be filtered out to make it burn cleanly. These particulate filters self clean during a controlled high temperature regeneration cycle - the invisible chemical crap is a major pollutant. It's irresponsible to own a diesel these days.

Yeh well...I repeat what I said back in May.

The arguments are all out of kilter.

As some others have mentioned here, look how far petrol and diesel cars have come in recent decades, theres been a year by year improvement.

Yet cars are still attacked relentlessly.

Where is the mass focus on manufacturing, agricultural and power/heating where the bulk of the issue lies?

I guess its "easier" to regulate the car industry rather than pester core economic sectors the governments have investment in.

If we could get all the old early 90s diesels off our roads it would be a small help, those things are terrible and even though they smoke like buggery they are still on the road. Its certainly not the bulk of the issue, as already mentioned, but its one thing that bugs the sh*t out of me. Old Hiluxes or Hiaces, light commercial trucks etc.

• Like 4

And Auckland now has electric trains running on 80% green electricity , what about all those dirty old diesel trucks roaming around the country doing between 50 and 200 litres / 100k depositing a kilo of contaminants per 500 metres ?

Maybe you could take the lead and refuse to purchase anything these 50-200l/100km trucks carry....

• Like 1

Maybe you could take the lead and refuse to purchase anything these 50-200l/100km trucks carry....

We do have electric trains that could part of that job...

We do have electric trains that could part of that job...

... that generate electricity from Diesel.

Diesel (and petrol for that matter) is very good an maintaining a constant engine speed, they become very efficient.

get a 1000cc engine or even less to drive an electricity generator that drives the motors for the wheels.

Why the worlds manufacturers havent worked this out yet i dont know... The railways have done it for 50 years, and the technology has been around for over 100 years...

Diesel (and petrol for that matter) is very good an maintaining a constant engine speed, they become very efficient.

get a 1000cc engine or even less to drive an electricity generator that drives the motors for the wheels.

Why the worlds manufacturers havent worked this out yet i dont know... The railways have done it for 50 years, and the technology has been around for over 100 years...

I was meaning the fully electric ones between palmy and Hamilton

Thought this might be relevant to this discussion. Turbo diesel twin trainer that parks outside work. Never mind the trucks, think how much Jet A1 is burnt every day in commercial aviation.Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could "electrify" the network,we will have to do it one day.

think how much Jet A1 is burnt every day in commercial aviation.b22084999faa9237a80c744c58b72a75.jpg

And dumped.

I love a big dirty Detroit diesel screaming it's tits off.

Check out this badass peterbilt lifting a wheel off the ground!

peterbilt-truck.jpg

Edited by polley
  • Like 1

And dumped.

I love a big dirty Detroit diesel screaming it's tits off.

Don't we all! This thing has 4 cylinder turbo diesel Merc engines though

Thought this might be relevant to this discussion. Turbo diesel twin trainer that parks outside work. Never mind the trucks, think how much Jet A1 is burnt every day in commercial aviation.

These are awesome. I did my Multi/IFR on them through CTC. Far more economical and better range than the petrol equivalent (they make them with a standard lycoming avgas engine too). And the noise they make. And the smell. Heaven.

These are awesome. I did my Multi/IFR on them through CTC. Far more economical and better range than the petrol equivalent (they make them with a standard lycoming avgas engine too). And the noise they make. And the smell. Heaven.

I worked on one at CTC just over a month ago, went up for the check flight too. Very nice aircraft! Turbo sounds good at idle, and generally way better than the DA20s. CTC have a 172 with the diesel conversion and Garmin 1000 etc, supposedly way more efficient than the old Lycomings, but that's not hard!

• Like 1