Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

Sport Evo - E30 M3

Why didn't they keep it stock...?

Whilst it's basically half price compared to an original EVO3, you'd have to be mental to pay $90k.

Personally I would say $90k for a good condition, well maintained and looked after (as this one is) E30 M3 Evo Sport is a very, very good price even if it has the steering wheel on the "wrong" side, you won't get near any other Sport Evo for the money. Especially if you can get the original parts included as part of the deal.

Easy enough to convert back to LHD, provided the original conversion has been done properly. This car would have been converted as it was brought into NZ when it was not possible to put LHD on the road.

When people are asking $55k for just off the boat from Japan on a run-of-the-mill 2.3ltr that is not totally original, this stacks up very well indeed.

• Like 1

I don't recall ever seeing a evo on trade me so would think the guy can ask whatever he wants!

Beautiful (drools a little)!

Personally I would say $90k for a good condition, well maintained and looked after (as this one is) E30 M3 Evo Sport is a very, very good price even if it has the steering wheel on the "wrong" side, you won't get near any other Sport Evo for the money. Especially if you can get the original parts included as part of the deal.

Easy enough to convert back to LHD, provided the original conversion has been done properly. This car would have been converted as it was brought into NZ when it was not possible to put LHD on the road.

When people are asking $55k for just off the boat from Japan on a run-of-the-mill 2.3ltr that is not totally original, this stacks up very well indeed.

It's a muddy area, as surely their value is in their originality and molestation free condition? Although as I said, this is half the price of an unmolested example.

Are the off the boat M3's selling for $55k?

I don't recall ever seeing a evo on trade me so would think the guy can ask whatever he wants!

Beautiful (drools a little)!

This car was for sale about 8 years ago, by I think the same owner ( a rel estate agent? ). Was asking about $70k if I remember.

Meh. Spend double the money and get a proper E30.

http://racecarsdirect.com/listing/56656/bmw_e30_m3_dtm.html

Who wants to put around the street in something that should be screaming on track.

Or spend less and have just as much fun.

http://racecarsdirect.com/listing/56975/bmw_e30_m3_evo_race_car.html

Edited by driftit
  • Like 1

A bit of back ground on this car.

Was landed in NZ about 10 years ago by Keven Mosen in Hamilton. He sold it and it was converted to RHD in Christchurch, I stand to be corrected.

Current owner bought it a few years ago and has brought it up to it's present standard. If it was completely original this car would command an asking price of 85 to 100 thousand quid in the UK. I kid you not. Check E30M3's for sale on Piston Heads.

He sold it and it was converted to RHD in Christchurch, I stand to be corrected.

Do you know who has done the conversion? Graeme at GAC?

No I don't know who did it - sorry.

In theory converting back is not to difficult mechanically and electrics but trying to get it legally registered back on the road in l/h drive that would take some doing.

Only in NZ, a Sport Evo is a world wide collectors car with different rules in many countries.

Pretty sure the rules in NZ are not so tough now, compared to when it was brought in, quite a few old and new LHD vehicles around on the roads now.

It's a muddy area, as surely their value is in their originality and molestation free condition? Although as I said, this is half the price of an unmolested example.

Are the off the boat M3's selling for $55k?

This car was for sale about 8 years ago, by I think the same owner ( a rel estate agent? ). Was asking about $70k if I remember.

Yes, correct, originality is a big factory in the market price. However, the changes are not that hard to convert back to stock. The cost of doing that would be much, much less than the potential increase in market value IMHO. As Ashmill has mentioned, E3 prices are off the chart right now, there is one on Piston Heads for GBP110k, work that out in NZDs...

The last recent import 2.3 M3 I saw that popped up on TradeMe was listed at $55k, not sure if it sold though, it hasn't re-appeared.

Different owner from 8 years ago. I know he has spent a lot of time, effort (and $$$s) on the car while it has been in his ownership.

As for the M3 "DTM" race car that Dan has linked, what is the current market value for two small children, a wife, a kidney and possibly one arm and one leg?? Am I getting close to the 130k Euro yet??

Only in NZ, a Sport Evo is a world wide collectors car with different rules in many countries.

Pretty sure the rules in NZ are not so tough now, compared to when it was brought in, quite a few old and new LHD vehicles around on the roads now.

Yes, correct, originality is a big factory in the market price. However, the changes are not that hard to convert back to stock. The cost of doing that would be much, much less than the potential increase in market value IMHO. As Ashmill has mentioned, E3 prices are off the chart right now, there is one on Piston Heads for GBP110k, work that out in NZDs...

The last recent import 2.3 M3 I saw that popped up on TradeMe was listed at $55k, not sure if it sold though, it hasn't re-appeared.

Different owner from 8 years ago. I know he has spent a lot of time, effort (and $$$s) on the car while it has been in his ownership.

As for the M3 "DTM" race car that Dan has linked, what is the current market value for two small children, a wife, a kidney and possibly one arm and one leg?? Am I getting close to the 130k Euro yet??

You need 2 arms and legs to drive a manual properly... :P

Retrospect is golden. The key is to know what to buy now and put in a shed.

I like the car in the OP, very nice.

You have to laugh some times...

I could have purchased an E30 M3 for about $20k less than I paid for my E36 M3 some 12 years ago...

There was one for sale on Bimmersport for $18K only 5 years back before the hype.

It resold a few years ago for $30K.

There was one bought in NZ for the same money just a year back as well Dan, you have to be in the right place at the right time (and very, very lucky). Granted it needed a bit of work, but it was all there and solid.

Rusty project cars, with the original engine, are selling for about $15k USD at the moment so it looks like I will never get to have a genuine shell so will have to convert my current car into a replica, unless the bubble bursts big time (and doesn't take me with it!). Although I could just re-mortgage the house, apparently that is going up $1,000 per month...

As Graham said spotting what to buy now and keep is the knack, but buying cars as an investment is boring, the fun is in driving the damn things. Bloody speculators pushing prices up, grr!!

• Like 1

I could have bought this Sport Evo for $21k 10 years ago - cry!!!

Who me, a speculator!! Really Jon -:) Have had mine since 2009 and has been on the road for 2 years after a 4 year rebuild which was 2 years longer than it should have been. The rise in value has been spectacular, now triple what I paid for it. Just don't ask me what I spent.

Target now is a genuine 320is ex Italy - could be a pipe dream though.

Not you Bruce, I know you got your car to restore and drive, not park in a shed and hope the price goes up. Plus I know you put heaps if time and effort into your car (and the $$$s), for your love of the car not to turn a buck or two.

Unfortunately lots of dealers are listing (and selling) E30s at high prices and promoting them as an investment.

There have been a couple of cars that I have been close to buying over the years, not going to happen any time soon unless I am very, very lucky.

There is a bare shell with cage for sale on that race car website Jon.

• Like 1

Who me, a speculator!! Really Jon - :) Have had mine since 2009 and has been on the road for 2 years after a 4 year rebuild which was 2 years longer than it should have been. The rise in value has been spectacular, now triple what I paid for it. Just don't ask me what I spent.

Target now is a genuine 320is ex Italy - could be a pipe dream though.

A 320is would be pretty sweet. More power than a 325i and presumably less weight.

• Like 2

There is a bare shell with cage for sale on that race car website Jon.

Yeah, but it is 15,000 Euro (about NZ$22.5k) and it is a VERY bare shell, with next to nothing on it. Plus shipping, and it would probably get damaged on the way here as it's not a "roller" and the cage would be a PITA to re-certify in NZ.

That UK race car at GBP 29k would be a much better proposition, and is very reasonably priced if the spec all checks out. Well, I can always dream. Maybe my UK bank account has been earning silly amounts of interest while I have been away...

Yeah they are very understated, they even made a 4 door version - the M3 is around 1200kg so imagine the 320is would about the same.

Thanks Jon, you are too kind.

Back on the subject - this car of 'Dr Abbo' will still appreciate despite the mods and RHD. Someone from Aussie or Hong Kong will be in to it.