Sign in to follow this  
Arron

running e85 in a s50b32

hi guys

what do you think about running e85 in a s50b32??

the engines are in our race cars so dont get driven lightly

is it a good idea to run e85? or would we have to have the dme remapped and put bigger injectors and or fuel pumps in them??

any thoughts are appreciated

I know a lot of us Rally guys are having issues with it, mostly problems with it clogging injectors.. For it to work, the top teams will drain the tank after an even and run through 20 litres of 98 on a different map.

General consensus is that it is a PITA.

It could work better in a track racing situation as you are essentially doing sprints with the ability to service injectors in between races if needed be.

And yes, you will need new fuel injectors and a custom map made for it to work.

The reason it clogs/ rusts shut your injectors is because ethanol is hygroscopic. So just like your brake fluid, it will absorb water.

You can get e85 compatible parts for the fuel system.

Everyone knows the benefits of e85 so i don't need to rant on too much

To make the most of it you'll want an aftermarket ecu that will handle a flex fuel sensor. Some ecu's are a lot better than others in this area.

e85 from the pump might not really be e85

It also cleans the years of varnish and sh*t out of your fuel system left behind from petrol, which also clogs filters and injectors

It is also good at eating rubber seals, etc. in the fuel system. Plus it eats the foam in race fuel cells. Again this crap then get sucked through your fuel system and clogs and jams things up.

Funny how Gull don't mention any of this on their fuel pumps...

Been running it for close to 2 years in my car at the track sessions or weekend drives - haven't had any issues running it ( I only needed to get a in-line LPFP or replace the factory LPFP with a aftermarket one) to run above E40 map

Love the 45HP+ and 95+Nm TQ it gives me over my 98 map

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

Newer engines and fuel systems are designed with ethanol blends (and other fuels) in mind, so have different materials in the seals, etc. Plus you will have less crap build up in the lines tank, etc. being a newer car - so there is less stuff for the ethanol to attack and therefore clog things up with it.

Certainly its good for power and torque increases (on pretty much any engine) but unfortunately there are draw backs for those running older systems.

• Like 1