Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 750i refresh/resto log.

Rust-oleum paints are generally excellent. Though some of the 'innovative' nozzles leave a bit to be desired. The wheel looks good though... Love style 32s.

• Like 1

Oil and filter change today.

post-17205-0-46663700-1447990582_thumb.j

This is what was left of the oil filter canister mounts compared to the new ones going in.

post-17205-0-85324000-1447990659_thumb.j

Also swapped on some new chrome. The old chrome was past it's used by date.

Old.

post-17205-0-23202100-1447990741_thumb.j

New.

post-17205-0-31267900-1447990775_thumb.j

• Like 6

looks good , I have some new genuine chrome in stock also of the plastic moldings if you need

cheers brent

• Like 1

looks good , I have some new genuine chrome in stock also of the plastic moldings if you need

cheers brent

May look at some plastic molding a bit later. Cheers Brent.

Awesome! Keeping the towbar?

I've got a towbar on the 740i so I thought I'd delete the one on the 750i and give it that clean look. I just need to find a unmolested rear bumper at some stage and when bills allow..lol

• Like 2

Spent the day trying to get the stereo in the 750i going. All I get is static through the speakers. So I swapped amps and radio modules. Putting other amps in removes the static but gives me no sound. In the end I thought it might be in the display unit so I bit the bullet and installed the 16:9 display unit from the parts car.

post-17205-0-44459200-1448429631_thumb.j

I'm unconvinced. I kinda miss the wood around the 4:3 display.

post-17205-0-54049300-1448429718_thumb.j

Anyway. Still no go with the stereo. So I started pulling all the modules and Amp from the 750i and tried them one by one in the 740i. And as soon as I put the amp in I had static. So I now know the Amp is bad. Question now is why wont any of my good Amp's work in the 750i?

99% of the time i would say go widescreen but in this case its clearly the 1% for me. The 4:3 wood frame unit is the winner

• Like 2

I think the 4:3 suits the E38 and the 16:9 suits the E39, more in flavour with the E38's style :)

Not sure what's up with it though Dave, coding issue maybe but I thought the E38/E39 where all modular and interchangeable. be interested to see what the root cause works out as

• Like 1

What about this style?Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What about this style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one of those but I dont think they're for the DSP sound system or OBC.

I think the 4:3 suits the E38 and the 16:9 suits the E39, more in flavour with the E38's style :)

Not sure what's up with it though Dave, coding issue maybe but I thought the E38/E39 where all modular and interchangeable. be interested to see what the root cause works out as

I was led to believe that they're all interchangeable and would all work though with varying degrees of sound quality which is where the coding comes in. I've had all 3 working amps in the 740i and 2 give great sound and one works but sounds like your listening to a transistor through a tin can..lol

I have one of those but I dont think they're for the DSP sound system or OBC.

Just check behind the flap - mine has a version of dsp and obc.......not sure if it is the same.

• Like 1

Open some of the audio modules up, take pics, I'd be keen to see what they look like inside.

• Like 1

With the E39 the audio runs through the main control unit, i.e. The Ibus / k-bus. I had something similar when I installed the aftermarket stereo in the E39, was static with almost no sound. Replaced the general control module with the donor car and it started working perfectly, even on the M3 steering wheel

• Like 1

With the E39 the audio runs through the main control unit, i.e. The Ibus / k-bus. I had something similar when I installed the aftermarket stereo in the E39, was static with almost no sound. Replaced the general control module with the donor car and it started working perfectly, even on the M3 steering wheel

Thanks for that Much appreciated but I've definitely narrowed it down to the Amp. When I put that Amp into the 740i I had the same static as when it was in the 750i. I just need to either get it fixed or find another that will work in the 750i.

It's back. I just couldn't live without the wood in the 750i.

Much better I think.

post-17205-0-85697900-1448610392_thumb.j

• Like 4

Do you have a pic of the AMP? I have 2 that were about to get thrown away this weekend. You're more then welcome to have them

• Like 1