Sign in to follow this  
kulgan

E38 750i refresh/resto log.

It's the little things that make projects so arrgghhhhhhh.

This sounds...well actually this sounds exactly why I like owning cars with not soo many electrical things to go wrong. Every E38 secondhand/buyers guide I have ever read mentions this, and that is the only thing, well other than size that puts me off. But a perfect running one must be just mint!

If I was better at computer stuff I guess that wouldn't bother me at all, but I am mudd. The E38 used to be considered big, and I guess it aint small, but parked next to an E65 its much nicer I think.

Keep going, its going to be real nice. I love that leather console.

• Like 2

If you're up in Auckland any time soon, I have INPA and DIS v44 on a laptop that i can help you reset the sensor with.

Edited by BreakMyWindow
  • Like 1

It's the little things that make projects so arrgghhhhhhh.

This sounds...well actually this sounds exactly why I like owning cars with not soo many electrical things to go wrong. Every E38 secondhand/buyers guide I have ever read mentions this, and that is the only thing, well other than size that puts me off. But a perfect running one must be just mint!

If I was better at computer stuff I guess that wouldn't bother me at all, but I am mudd. The E38 used to be considered big, and I guess it aint small, but parked next to an E65 its much nicer I think.

Keep going, its going to be real nice. I love that leather console.

In all honesty I dont think it unreasonable to expect a little maininance on a vehicle of this age. And thats all this is. It's not that I cant fix it simply its that I'm being told is that my cars to old to be scanned. So thats going to be the same story for any pre 2001 car. Not just the e38. Your right about size though. E65's and up are huge. But by todays standards if you park a E38 next to a F10 it's not going to look big.

I got curious so I checked this out for a size comparison.

2014 328i Gran Turismo.

Length 4824mm 189.9inch's Width 1828mm 72inch's

Curb weight 1645kg's.

POWER 245 PS (180 kW; 242 hp) TORQUE 350 N·m (258 lb·ft)

2001 E38 740i.

Length 4984mm 196.2inch"s Width1862mm 73.3inch's

Curb Weight 1710kg's.

POWER 286 PS (210 kW: 282 hp) TORQUE 440 N·m (325 lb·ft)

So by todays standards it's really not a whole lot bigger than a 3 series but with a bit more power, a nice V8 rumble and with all the luxuary you'd expect from the flagship model.

If you're up in Auckland any time soon, I have INPA and DIS v44 on a laptop that i can help you reset the sensor with.

Cheers. Much appreciated. Though thats a long drive without a WOF or Reg...lol

Edited by kulgan

Guest MP0wer

You make me want to buy an E38 some day. :D

I got one, for real cheap you know. I'll sell it for peanuts really :rolleyes:

My e38 is ex Singapore so should be troublesome but I have done over 120,000km on it (I got it at 50,0000) and it's been pretty good. Cooling gear needed replacement and normal suspension wear. That is why I still have it. Stick with the 750... The niggles will be long forgotten when fixed.

• Like 3

Similar story with my 740i. Ex Singapore. Has just about clocked over 240,000km and I've done 40k of those over the last 3 years. 3 oil and filter changes and 2 suspension links are all I've had to do to it.

I'll be holding on to the 750i for a LONG time..lol

The car that the LS400 aspired to be...

shots fired. :-P

Hehe. The LS400 is out their on its own though. I like a lot of it, but they are exceptionally boring. I have great respect for them engineering wise, all the history back in 1989 and beyond. I wouldn't bother buying an early one though, been there and done that. The 1999 models are much better, but to be honest Lexus/Toyota have far more interesting offers in the 2008+ era that are tumbling in price. IS-F, LS460s, GS460s, IS350s, The latest Toyota Crown Athletes and others. Mmmmm

While in a similar class the E38 is so vastly different, aesthetically there no doubt its a more handsome car, in fact I think its one of the most handsome 4 door cars of its type, to date! I know I like a car deep down when I can't help but stare at one each time I see a good clean example parked or driving by.

Given that they are dirt cheap it wouldnt be surprised if I cave in an buy one to replace my fairly iffy daily 3L red Soarer. :P

• Like 1

Took the car for a 45 min drive to Palmerston North today and went to Lee European motors. Great guys and friendly service.

I cant say enough about how much I enjoy driving this car. I always luved my 740i but this is on a whole other level. It's effortless to drive and doesn't even notice the hills.

Anyway. I now have no DSC light on. Took them 15 mins to reset the steering angle sensor for me.

Next job will be to pull the instrument cluster and fix the pixels.

post-17205-0-56509400-1433398758_thumb.j

Edited by kulgan

Result.

Loving the 500 rpm idle, engine must be in good nick!

must be the later model, my M70 is about 650, still lower than most cars.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Conidering it just ticked over 246k it runs sweet. Doesn't miss a beat. Other than the steering angle sensor it had no other codes come up.

Still in a bit of disbelief about how lucky I've been with this considering I bought it without viewing and it was sold to me as a non runner.

• Like 3

I can now legally drive my car. WOF and REG today. Wooo Hooo.

Interesting that when I went to insure it they didn't have it listed on their books so the person serving me had to ring someone in Auckland. Took a while but they came back with a recommended insurance value of 12-17k and called it a special interest vehicle. My 740i has a recommended value of 2500 to 3500.

• Like 3

I can now legally drive my car. WOF and REG today. Wooo Hooo.

Interesting that when I went to insure it they didn't have it listed on their books so the person serving me had to ring someone in Auckland. Took a while but they came back with a recommended insurance value of 12-17k and called it a special interest vehicle. My 740i has a recommended value of 2500 to 3500.

is that agreed value???????

make sure you definately get it in writing that the payout amount

and then go write it off lol

• Like 1

Wheel swap?

is that agreed value???????

make sure you definately get it in writing that the payout amount

and then go write it off lol

Thats what they have on their books as recommended value. I insured it for 10k

I might wait a couple of years before I go down that road..Or ff it as the case my be..lol

Wheel swap?

If you have some nice wheels to swap I'd be interested... ha ha

Your meaning between the 740 and 750? It's on the cards. I've been seriously thinking about it while at the same time keeping my eys open for another set. Possibly M6 rims. they look good and have the same offset.

M6 rims, Alpinas or swap.

3301166303_480d1a2376_o.jpg

• Like 1

ooo, i like that one on the M6 wheels more than i thought i would. Not keen on the BBS on the 740 tbh.

• Like 2

Yep between cars just to see what you like more. But it's always good to have options....... Alpinas are the hero wheel for me......

• Like 1

I still like mine....style 32? Dish suits the car. I don't have a better pic at hand - nice gunmetal grey when clean.....post-2431-0-59046200-1433495117_thumb.jp

Edited by NUSTAD
  • Like 1

I've gotta say I like the look of the BBS's on the 740i so I might just leave them there. Unless I sell the car which is also a possibility at the moment in which case I'll do the swap and get another set of rims later.

For me I think the choice is narrowed down to the M6 rims or some Alpina Softlines. Given the price of genuine Alpinas and the fact that many guys in 740's with Alpina replicas complain of them bending out of shape when introduced to potholes(extra weight of the 750i) I might just look for those M6 rims.

• Like 2

I reckon the standard split 5 spokes on later E38s would suit it best

bmw_garage.jpg

• Like 2

ha ha. I know that car. The owner posts on another forum I'm on. It's immaculate inside and out.

I do like the M-Pars. But I like a bit more rubber than can be fit on those..lol

• Like 1