Sign in to follow this  
HSB

Buying advice: Mini Cooper 2005 - 2008

Hey all need some advice...

Had a bunch of things done on my bimmer in the last 3 months and she's tidiest she has ever been - so am in two minds about continuing to try sell it to let someone else enjoy my work. If I was to sell I was looking to downsize to a spiffy little mini.

My mechanic in Welly let me know that a mini has to be under 150,000km to be approved for Autosure warranty - so this is my only real criterion. Other than that, would prefer black, prefer leather, prefer tiptronic, prefer tidy etc.

Found this little guy listed overnight: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=885729572

Like the new shape, like the interior, colour etc.

I did a basic carjam on it it was border checked on 22 Jan 2015, registered 21 March, now being sold 10 May.... this two month turn around...some one trying to do a fast one by importing and then selling as a private seller?

Red flags? Thoughts?

Ahemmm Minis are ladies :0p we have been over this brah hahaha

Thanks E.HO always helpful :ph34r:

Does no one else have any thoughts on Minis '05 - '08 in general?

Whittled my list to three I could be partial to - however one has a busted sunroof. I've researched this and once your get over peoples hyper inflated mark-ups looks like it could be a $500-$600 job. Auto sparkies ?

• Like 1

Mate had one (a chick) and it was okay, kinda lame, uncomfortable, small and kinda clunky to drive.

If I ever bought one it would have to be extremely hotted up, I kinda of see them like a better version of the Beetle, a quirky ladies car.

• Like 1

Simple answer is,... Ask them about their history with the car... If the tell you porkies then walk away...

I've driven quite a number of the new Minis (although my preference is the Classics/GTs etc , having owned quite a few)... The only thing I could recommend is, unless it's absolutely necessary to do otherwise, buy yourself a manual... its a much better car and far more engaging to drive...

• Like 1

Walk away from the CVT auto in the R50 - it truly destroys the car to drive & your wallet when the orange light comes on. I heard somewhere (not sure) that the newer models used the same Aisin 6 spd auto as the non-DSG mk5 Golfs (09G gearbox) which are 100x better than the CVT but still not stellar reliability wise.

Like someone else said - buy a manual.

• Like 1