Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Scary for the independent repairers ......

http://ifixit.org/blog/7192/john-deere-mess/?utm_content=buffer90823&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I've seen this sort of thing mooted by car manufacturers too - basically if you plug into the car for diagnosis etc they say you are breaking copyright !!

Sort of kills the aftermarket tuner business ??

• Like 1

But I can modify my own copy of the book if I want? It's not going to be redistributed in that state. Same goes for any computer I buy, modified every single one, sure it voids warranty if you're still in that period but that's it.
I'd be curious to see something like this go through the courts.

• Like 1

I think at this point in time Car manufactures are only interesting in what you do with it while its under warranty. Which is totally fair enough.

However, there are parts of ECUs that record what a driver does at what time.. this has been going on since 1996 in BMW ECUs.

I think at this point in time Car manufactures are only interesting in what you do with it while its under warranty. Which is totally fair enough.

You would be surprised how many people F@#k about with their cars after buying a lead and some software off eBay, manage to cock things up following the YouTube tutorial, and then try and claim it has developed a fault and want it fixed under warranty.

• Like 2

Conversely to sell cars and trucks into the USA market the diagnostic systems must be an open standard with the various ODB software standards so the indie can work on it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

Guessing they don't want to sell tractors in the USA

Edited by Neal

You would be surprised how many people F@#k about with their cars after buying a lead and some software off eBay, manage to cock things up following the YouTube tutorial, and then try and claim it has developed a fault and want it fixed under warranty.

I love this !!! 100% correct!

The amount of customers that we have who play with settings and then come in to tell us that there "autopilot" etc just stopped working i didn't touch a thing only to go and view it to find out that every setting has been changed !