Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Low Battery E46

So I bought this 330ci cheap and all in all its pretty good but it did some weird things. The mirrors would flip up into their parking setting whenever the car was turned off for more than an hour, the climate control would go berserk, hot then cold and mirrors would point in all directions when they felt like it. I did a battery test and lo and behold only 11.8 volts. (See this video if you're unfamiliar) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AajTPsJyPI

Batteries are expensive $285 via Repco and even more from Marshall. In the end I got one directly from Century batteries for $175. All issues fixed.

• Like 2

You might want to look into replacing the final stage resistor for your heater aka hedgehawk. Simple DIY. This component is notorious to go bad and will do exactly what you described.

sent from my android

^^^^^^ Yep.

Also, batteries - are you comparing apples with apples? I suspect not. You get what you pay for with them.

Check out agm batteries first in terms of price. 285 is not bad ! Paid closer to $500 for mine.

Car has over 50 electronic modules for the car to run well. Cheap batteries are a false enconomy in my opinion.

That's not expensive for a battery try getting the correct size, amp hr for your car from a dealer, have a chair handy. Most owners have no idea what goes on in the back ground with the vehicles electrics and the demands that are placed on the battery. A BMW just twists that up a notch or two with so many electrical components in them all demanding correct voltage or current it is only a matter of time that one day it fails and if not looked after ( as most aren't ) that will occur sooner than later.

Cheap, also won't do it for later model vehicles with "smart" battery systems, electric water pumps, electric fans & valvetronic motors

In my experience cheap batteries are a false economy. Just replaced a Century battery that was in my wife's Impreza, it had failed after just 2 years (bad cells). Whereas the genuine BMW battery in my E30 is still going strong 6 years after it was installed.

• Like 1

Genuine OEM BMW (Varta) generally last to 10yrs, often 12 & more. I changed an E36 one recently @ 16yrs

As others above have said - the demands of modern vehicles on their batteries is very high, & short cutting doesn't work.

Genuine OEM BMW (Varta) generally last to 10yrs, often 12 & more. I changed an E36 one recently @ 16yrs

As others above have said - the demands of modern vehicles on their batteries is very high, & short cutting doesn't work.

12.25 years in the E39 B)

I'd normally change it, just to be safe, but I'm really keen to see how long it goes for! Plus manual means I can probably roll start it if required ;)

• Like 1

The battery I installed was a Century. It came with a warranty its the correct amp/hour and it holds the correct voltage.

Edited by Herbmiester

All good it will depend on the battery it's self quality how it is used and maintained. What time span would you expect from it and what conditions for the warranty to be valid?.

The battery I installed was a Century. It came with a warranty its the correct amp/hour and it holds the correct voltage.

Hope it was a Din65ZLMF (correct battery for a 330i) which I doubt as I can't even buy it for $175 including Gst

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

^^^^^ My thoughts exactly

Well you guys scared me into replacing the battery. I took the original 66 and put it in my 93 E36 when the original lost a cell. I fitted a Din65ZLMF to the E46 as recommended. Price was $290. Now I have to say I had no issues with the 66 but when the 65 went in everything started playing up even my trans shut down and threw a fault code.I took it too my BMW guy and he cleared the fault codes and registered the battery; he will check the trans out tomorrow to see if it was an electrical fault or something else. Getting a better battery has caused me more issues that just staying with the cheapy.

So the mechanic cleared the fault codes but found the shifter had a loose bolt on the bottom? and was not fully engaging drive? I got him to do a transmission service as I overheated the trans fluid when it had a fault code, he said it's no longer throwing codes and shifts smoothly. I will pick it up tomorrow. He is adamant that batteries need to be registered especially if they are different to what was in previously, the fact that the older battery had low voltage likely didn't help my situation. next up is Ohlins, Eibach, Vanos, oil leaks, PCV and new plugs for good measure, but I guess that's another post.