Sign in to follow this  
Apex

What cars would Kiwi enthusiasts want?

So I am off to Europe on a OE for a while, but will have money to buy a few cars with the hope of importing them to NZ and on selling at some point when I need too, investments if you like.

What, in your opinion, should I be looking at?

After a day on the internet, I have discovered there is next to no money in most mainstream models, M3's, RS4's etc.. And I would need to have a 10k profit buffer in each car to make it worth while.

Looking at 997 911 Carrera S's in Manual, there seems to be a lack of them here but are quite popular in the UK.

What else should I look at that could be sold here, perhaps cars we don't get or don't have a lot of.

What sort of millage would turn people away? IE, over 100,000km seems to turn people off.

Feedback appreciated.

• Like 1

The moment you put up a post about making a profit on an OE car you intend on bringing back is the moment that profit margin disappears.

• Like 4

E30 325tds IX touring :)

• Like 4

+ 85

+325i

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 2

Do you want an OE or do you want to spend all your time trying to get cars out of the country.

Expect to waste weeks doing this unless you are paying someone else who does it for a living.

Guest MP0wer

+325i

+328ISupercharged\

Hire me, I think I want to change my life & future profession and would be the perfect sales man and rip people sorry "kiwi enthusiasts" (lol) out of their money.

Edited by MP0wer

Not getting much love from the peanut gallery are you.

You should export an early Porsche 911 to the UK. Prices for them are crazy there.

• Like 2

Very hard to call that one, the market for "enthusiast" vehicles in NZ is very limited. You could have a great car, but end up holding it for a long time waiting for the right buyer.

I would suggest you buy yourself a nice "toy" to enjoy while you are over there and then bring that back, if you flick it for a few $$$s afterwards then that's a bonus.

Very hard to call that one, the market for "enthusiast" vehicles in NZ is very limited. You could have a great car, but end up holding it for a long time waiting for the right buyer.

I would suggest you buy yourself a nice "toy" to enjoy while you are over there and then bring that back, if you flick it for a few $$$s afterwards then that's a bonus.

...and good luck with that unless you buy a low volume 2006+ vehicle or intend to own it for 21 months or more in the UK. If any earlier be prepared to spend many hours writing up your SIV application. Once you get that sorted the export process takes 5 minutes to organise.

930 - Bronze Metallic with Tan interior, 2 seater. Original wheels .....

And an interest free lifetime loan to go with it.

• Like 1

To go with the earlier post - I would be interested in a well presented 524td, e28, opalgreen or bronzit. Unobtanium here, I keep dreaming...

Everyone always hankers after a nice E31 4.4 6 speed manual at some stage, ...and there are none!

Or getting serious an Alpina B12 5.7 of the same would be nice.

Actually Alpina anything would be nice...

Most on here want manuals as they are rarer here for sure.

It's a fun exercise.

Thanks for the input.

I knew I would get some "outside the square" ideas.

Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G wagons. Mainly to sell to the ponsy "celebs" and the wannabe rich kids.

Dylan if you are reading this, you are one of only probably a few exceptions ;)

• Like 1

Alpina, or Ruf, or classic Audi quattro. Not that i am in the market but a boy can dream...

• Like 1

It's just a ideas exercise. Would not be buying for us. Just looked at what is on the market and was surprised that we have comparable used prices in NZ.

A lot of people have mentioned diesel wagons. Like the E60 535d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G wagons. Mainly to sell to the ponsy "celebs" and the wannabe rich kids.

Dylan if you are reading this, you are one of only probably a few exceptions ;)

A military one or the amg 6x6, they are the only ones worth having

alpina B10 Bi-Turbo :)

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i
  • Like 2

hard top for my cabby since we doing a shopping list.

Bimmersport group buy to the max, paying for your holiday to the UK, not bad.

• Like 1

Tatra V8

Ooooooooooooooooh!

I was thinking Unimog, or trabant, right up until you said that!

Local collector up here has one, that was smuggled through switzerland to the UK and then shipped over here.

Any one of them is a great idea. If you can't shift it, you can give it to me.

...and good luck with that unless you buy a low volume 2006+ vehicle or intend to own it for 21 months or more in the UK. If any earlier be prepared to spend many hours writing up your SIV application. Once you get that sorted the export process takes 5 minutes to organise.

Or you could read the actual requirements on the www.nzta.govt.nz web-site and work out what vehicles fit into what category, and how long you have to own a vehicle overseas.

gwagen....could be some coin in one of them.Do you know an ordinary 3 l diesel g wagen is 175 000 here!