Sign in to follow this  
Sleepyjk

I want to learn how to Tune Standalone ECU's (EFI Controllers)

"Reluctance" is a characteristic of some electric motors and magnetic circuits , the name "reluctor" provides some insight in to what the device actually is.

It is an electro-magnetic inductive device.

If we know and understand what the device actually is we can model and apply it effectively.

Come on, that's pretty trivial isn't it?

Do you call the toilet a ' white porcelain excrement collector' so you can get a better understanding of what it is so you can model your poo properly in it?

Let's get back to talking about learning how to tune.

• Like 5

"Reluctance" is a characteristic of some electric motors and magnetic circuits , the name "reluctor" provides some insight in to what the device actually is.

It is an electro-magnetic inductive device.

If we know and understand what the device actually is we can model and apply it effectively.

Your sort of making it tad more complicated dude, in ref to using them on the Haltech ecu a clamp is required based on their high output voltage lets not complicate life for the guy im sure he'll get the idea in due course

nope i had it right as per the ecu instructions , to change a reluctor signal to square wave requires a converter to which the sprint 500 doesn't do they do however allow you to select inductive or hall effect IF they were the same then it wouldn't have selection for.

And non of this is helping the poster in anyway he hasn't got a ecu to start with let alone needing to know the finer details, if at all they become a issue so rather than trying to show how big your wang is let the guy progress

I quite like the look of the new Haltec systems ... Seems very well put together / supported. One day I might even run the s50 off the new elite.

• Like 1

I just had a look at the Haltech Elite for the first time. I eyeballed the stats vs what I've been focused on (Link) and other than having CAN which can talk to the car they look really similar. And the Haltech is $$$ compared to the Link (G4+ Xtreme), especially with the looms ... but ...

... I get the feeling my view reflects my limited knowledge. I guess what I am saying is that choosing an ECU for a complicated engine must be complicated. And that's before you even try and tune it. Arriving at an optimal tune for variable cams must take ages.

• Like 1

What sort of budget do you have for an ecu? If learning is the most important part about the ecu get a megasquirt. To be more specific get a ms1v3. They are cheap, you will run into problems that'll take you to distant parts of the internet. It'll really help your problem solving ability as well. And finally you can upgrade it to a ms2 or ms3.

Another cheaper and more challenging option is speeduino. It is an arduino based ecu that uses the same tuning soft ware as ms(tunerstudio).

A link g4 atom is a pretty cheap locally supported option (or I've got a link g4 extreme for sale for a little bit more).

If your looking at a haltech ecu you should also check out life ecus. But at this stage you're looking at quite a good chunk of money. If you want to spend more I can continue.

I've only had experience with early and g4 links and megasquirt ecus, everything else is just going off features and online reputation

• Like 2

What sort of budget do you have for an ecu? If learning is the most important part about the ecu get a megasquirt. To be more specific get a ms1v3. They are cheap, you will run into problems that'll take you to distant parts of the internet. It'll really help your problem solving ability as well. And finally you can upgrade it to a ms2 or ms3.

Another cheaper and more challenging option is speeduino. It is an arduino based ecu that uses the same tuning soft ware as ms(tunerstudio).

A link g4 atom is a pretty cheap locally supported option (or I've got a link g4 extreme for sale for a little bit more).

If your looking at a haltech ecu you should also check out life ecus. But at this stage you're looking at quite a good chunk of money. If you want to spend more I can continue.

I've only had experience with early and g4 links and megasquirt ecus, everything else is just going off features and online reputation

I have a $1500.00 budget, but nothing is set in stone.

So far it looks like main deciding factor is user preference (aftercare, software, and etc).

Bottom Line, still on the fence.

Edited by Sleepyjk

You should try downloading the software and having a play. That's totally free and you can learn a fair bit about how the ECU works.

In fact, that's all I have done (so take anything I say with a grain of salt). That and connect a rotary switch and verify I can run through boost targets.

Edited by CamB