Sign in to follow this  
jin108

MHD flash app. Anyone tried this yet?

41 minutes ago, digitalashley said:

Okay so must be a voltage thing then I think the app showed 11.7 volts

Also is there anyone using mhd tunes that has a Japan import with nz maps loaded on? I'm just a little worried if I flash a tune I might lose the nz maps or the ability to use them..

Yeah, 11.7 is too low to do a flash, especially the first full flash which takes about 37 minutes. But if your battery is in the circa mid 12s and you're still loosing comms to the DME, even when not flashing, then the issue probably lies elsewhere. I had mine dropping on and off when connecting the other night for some reason...not sure if it was the car, phone, app, OTG or OBD cable...took a bit of fiddling before I got a stable connection and could proceed to flash.

But boy, sure is good to have a flash on it again after almost 2 years without!

25 minutes ago, NakiTouring said:

Yeah, 11.7 is too low to do a flash, especially the first full flash which takes about 37 minutes. But if your battery is in the circa mid 12s and you're still loosing comms to the DME, even when not flashing, then the issue probably lies elsewhere. I had mine dropping on and off when connecting the other night for some reason...not sure if it was the car, phone, app, OTG or OBD cable...took a bit of fiddling before I got a stable connection and could proceed to flash.

But boy, sure is good to have a flash on it again after almost 2 years without!

Okay so I'll have to connect up the charger and test it again. I'm tempted to do a trans flash via xhp as well at some stage . I'm just worried about my NZ maps ..

28 minutes ago, digitalashley said:

Okay so I'll have to connect up the charger and test it again. I'm tempted to do a trans flash via xhp as well at some stage . I'm just worried about my NZ maps ..

Don't think you've got anything to worry about there, but there's bound to be someone here that's done it with NZ nav.

I have NZ nav maps , on cd/dvd? If thats what you mean. I have been running mhd stage 1 plus for over a year now no issues.

• Like 1

Mine only lost Nav when it went back to BMW for a service which was before I flashed it. Have heard its an issue for Japan imports with CIC idrives that have been converted here. Haven't taken it in to get looked at yet so not sure if it can be sorted by Auto Gravity etc

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, digitalashley said:

Okay so must be a voltage thing then I think the app showed 11.7 volts

Also is there anyone using mhd tunes that has a Japan import with nz maps loaded on? I'm just a little worried if I flash a tune I might lose the nz maps or the ability to use them..

You won’t lose anything buddy!! Totally seperate to your idrive system 

mine gets serviced at Bm workshop and MHD flashed.

i have a jap import with nz maps retro fitted by auto gravity it’s all good to go.

i now however have car play 

Edited by Benji335i
  • Thanks 1

Awesome cheers guys @Benji335i @Navin @Herbmiester

I've got the CIC with nav system. No Bluetooth sadly.

That puts me at ease thankfully.

I heard soon that BMW will also start doing the retrofit like aftermarket places do for our idrive maps since they get heaps more imports through. So maybe in future they won't mess your maps up.

9 minutes ago, digitalashley said:

Awesome cheers guys @Benji335i @Navin @Herbmiester

I've got the CIC with nav system. No Bluetooth sadly.

That puts me at ease thankfully.

I heard soon that BMW will also start doing the retrofit like aftermarket places do for our idrive maps since they get heaps more imports through. So maybe in future they won't mess your maps up.

No problem at all bro! 

I got BT and maps retro fitted by auto gravity! 

I have CIC jap import too! 

Carplay is apples intergrated system 

picture of my carplay is too big it basically displays all CarPlay compatible apps

14 hours ago, Benji335i said:

No problem at all bro! 

I got BT and maps retro fitted by auto gravity! 

I have CIC jap import too! 

Carplay is apples intergrated system 

With the Bluetooth you added in. How did they do it? Is it like something plugged into the cigarette lighter? Or more sophisticated? 

I looked it up. It's similar to Android auto. Do you like it?  Over idrive?

4 hours ago, digitalashley said:

With the Bluetooth you added in. How did they do it? Is it like something plugged into the cigarette lighter? Or more sophisticated? 

I looked it up. It's similar to Android auto. Do you like it?  Over idrive?

It’s identical to android auto! 

You use all your mobile compatible apps. You can then message, use iTunes and Spotify plus Apple maps all with your jog dial.

its a retrofit so a lot more sofisticated no cigarette lighters used! 

19 hours ago, Benji335i said:

It’s identical to android auto! 

You use all your mobile compatible apps. You can then message, use iTunes and Spotify plus Apple maps all with your jog dial.

its a retrofit so a lot more sofisticated no cigarette lighters used! 

Was that costly to have it done?

Also has anyone here Dyno'd there N54 with mhd tunes like stage 1 and 1 +?

Curious to find out power increase vs stock. 

Comparison would be awesome

Just now, digitalashley said:

Was that costly to have it done?

Ring auto gravity, I’m one of the few with carplay ?? 

• Like 1

So I bought the modules needed to flash stage 1 tunes. And it fails everytime. Had errors like error packet 4, then error packet 6. 

Now it fails just to flash back to my stock backup....

Don't know what to do ..

What was your system voltage while trying to do this ?

46 minutes ago, digitalashley said:

So I bought the modules needed to flash stage 1 tunes. And it fails everytime. Had errors like error packet 4, then error packet 6. 

Now it fails just to flash back to my stock backup....

Don't know what to do ..

Is your device in airplane mode? I was having similar issues when i first did it. All good after putting it in airplane mode.

1 hour ago, Navin said:

Is your device in airplane mode? I was having similar issues when i first did it. All good after putting it in airplane mode.

I did by mistake try to flash at the start with the airplane mode off. Then ever time after have made sure airplane mode is on. 

I am using a cable from eBay and type C USB otg adaptor since that's what my phone has..

I have just noticed the app is saying 0 voltage..

I took the fuel pump fuse out... Maybe its that?

Edited by digitalashley

No need to pull the fuel pump fuse, MHD was updated so it doesn't spin up the fuel pump. But that shouldn't be the problem  (Edit: N55 version, not 100% sure this applies to N54)

Make sure when the flash starts, the cables are in firm and you DO NOT move them, the cheapo Ebay cables are finicky. And do not open/close doors, make sure fans are off and headlights are off to minimise power use. I notice closing/opening doors can interrupt the flash.

If that fails, maybe its your cable or adapter, try another if you can. 
If your battery isn't in the best shape than can be the issue. You'll need to have it connected to a charger... or hooked up to another car with jumper cables. 

I've been lucky, done numerous full 20 min flashes with no external power! 

Edited by Matth5

1 hour ago, Matth5 said:

No need to pull the fuel pump fuse, MHD was updated so it doesn't spin up the fuel pump. But that shouldn't be the problem  (Edit: N55 version, not 100% sure this applies to N54)

Yep, this is the case with the N54 too. I used to pull the fuel pump fuse about 3 years ago, but not anymore ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digitalashley said:

I did by mistake try to flash at the start with the airplane mode off. Then ever time after have made sure airplane mode is on. 

I am using a cable from eBay and type C USB otg adaptor since that's what my phone has..

I have just noticed the app is saying 0 voltage..

I took the fuel pump fuse out... Maybe its that?

Doesn't sound too good. I've had to have a second crack at flashing on the odd occasion and have gotten away with it fortunately, but haven't experienced what you're getting. You'll probably have to hit the international forums for that one. Hope you can get it sorted without too much grief.

2 hours ago, Matth5 said:

Make sure when the flash starts, the cables are in firm and you DO NOT move them, the cheapo Ebay cables are finicky. And do not open/close doors, make sure fans are off and headlights are off to minimise power use. I notice closing/opening doors can interrupt the flash.

If that fails, maybe its your cable or adapter, try another if you can. 
If your battery isn't in the best shape than can be the issue. You'll need to have it connected to a charger... or hooked up to another car with jumper cables. 

I've been lucky, done numerous full 20 min flashes with no external power! 

I've just bought another cheapo one from trademe this time hopefully I have better luck this time . 

When I first tried mhd today. I didn't take the fuse out. But after disconnecting the battery a while when I tried again it was was cranking the pump so I thought it'd be best to remove fuse. 

Strange how I didn't need to before though.

I've been trying with battery charger leaving everything off/unplugged and doors closed the whole time. So must be the obd cable. Even tested another otg adaptor

34 minutes ago, NakiTouring said:

Doesn't sound too good. I've had to have a second crack at flashing on the odd occasion and have gotten away with it fortunately, but haven't experienced what you're getting. You'll probably have to hit the international forums for that one. Hope you can get it sorted without too much grief.

Same here man. Can't seem to find much apart from just getting other obd cables. 

2 hours ago, digitalashley said:

Same here man. Can't seem to find much apart from just getting other obd cables. 

I assume the car is currently inoperable, or does it still run? Do you have another Android device you can put your Google account on? I guess finding a USB C one might be an issue...