jin108

MHD flash app. Anyone tried this yet?

35 posts in this topic

I'd be keen for a power run :)

also @KMX. yes i did it myself. was quoted 250 +GST and 350 + GST from workshops. told the 350 to stick it............

Did you guys flash alpina yourselves or have someone do it for you? If so who please and roughly how much.

Flashed it myself. Unless you are struggling to give your money away, grab a $20 cable off Amazon, download the 4gigs of software required for coding, follow easy tutorial to install and setup and get your hands dirty. Once you have this, you can do so much more than just flash your trans. Not sure what the rules are here regarding posting urls to such online guides...personally I find it outrageous that people charge multiple hundreds for such a service when they would have learnt it from online guides in the first place...

Hey guys,

Installed the following parts this week,

• VRSF 7" Intercooler
  • VRSF Charge pipe
  • HKS SSQV4 BOV
  • BMS DCI

and flashed the MHD Stage1 FMIC map. The car is pulling harder than before peaking about 17-18 psi.

I am very much happy with the turbo spooling music from the DCI and the Pss -- Psss sound from the HKS. I was kind of worried if the HKS would be too annoying after a while, but no.. , I started getting addicted to the sound. As our cars are well insulated HKS was not too loud as I expected and I liked it. Will post some videos of how the bov sounds when the windows are up, down and at full and low throttles. Sometimes the HKS makes these double PSS sound due to its synchoronous design which is soo cool. I was planning on installing the purple fin earlier before I got it but I think will leave it like this.

The VRSF 7" Intercooler was spot on, had to cut the plastic shroud though. The VRSF Chargepipe was a direct fit like the factory C clips in the stock chargepipe and was easy to install. I got the VRSF lower charge-pipe as well so everything was a good fit. Tiago from VRSF is a helpful guy and his customer service was excellent. The products came well packed and there were no damages during shipment.

Need to get the BMS Oil Catch Can and have the Intake valves cleaned to complete my Stage1 Tuning process.

I talked to Ray from HellBM who gave me a quite reasonable quote for having the Alpina Trans flash installed. Will be doing this next month.

Cheers..

2 people like this

Just upgraded my MHD ECU flash today. I see now it has an option for cars equipped with the Alpina Flash. Can't say that I noticed any significant difference, although I reset the throttle adaptions, so may still be learning.

1 person likes this

Did you guys flash alpina yourselves or have someone do it for you? If so who please and roughly how much.

I can show you how to do it if you're local (CBD auckland)

Probably best though that people get the software and flash themselves to limit hassles if something goes wrong

FYI flashing Alpina including setup time etc should take max 20 minutes + on road testing time to check all is working.

For a workshop to do this $200-300 is around 2.5 - 3hours labour which is a little on the high side but you should also factor in that they will be quoting buffer to allow for anything going wrong, and perhaps a little for liability insurance in case something goes really wrong.

So yeah it seems a lot but that's what happens when you want someone else to do something for you & provide you a guarantee/responsibility if something goes wrong!

I did mine in the driveway after being quoted $350 + GST and $250 :)

FYI if doing yourself. make sure you have a healthy battery :)

Edited by Docile

I tend to hook up the battery charger - trickle seems to suffice. And if I'm doing a long flash with MHD, I also pull fuse number 70 to stop the LPFP constantly whirring away for 38 minutes. Depending on what you read, both ECU and TCU flashes should have a reset of adaptions after. So after the MHD update today, I reset the throttle adaptions from the app, fired up the engine, off again and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for about 10 mins...I guess that bit's worth about 2 hundy...

I tend to hook up the battery charger - trickle seems to suffice. And if I'm doing a long flash with MHD, I also pull fuse number 70 to stop the LPFP constantly whirring away for 38 minutes. Depending on what you read, both ECU and TCU flashes should have a reset of adaptions after. So after the MHD update today, I reset the throttle adaptions from the app, fired up the engine, off again and disconnected the negative terminal on the battery for about 10 mins...I guess that bit's worth about 2 hundy...

all sounds good. Just the part about on/off again.

I've read multiple times that turning an engine on/off briefly isn't good in terms of flooding the engine.

Seems to be conflicting comments out there about adaptations but your version makes sense.

I flashed the Alpina today with guidance from Pablo. Definitely something that anybody can do by just following the tutorials.

The car felt great. Shifts are faster, smoother and crisp.