Sign in to follow this  
jonoe30

New member intro

Hi guys/girls,

Jono here, new to forums, taking my time to look through the topics (love jeffbebe's E31 who must live locally to me as I see it about all the time) and introduce my ride....

Brought this NZ new '91 E30 facelift 325i convertible manual done 165,000kms two years ago sight unseen from Rangiora ... Drove back to Auckland with the heater on full as temp gauge didn't work and some funky steering thanks to the tie rods being wound all the way in one direction (1 turn to lock left, 3 to lock right haha)... I'm pretty handy (and particular) so replaced ALL fluids, cambelt, waterpump, all water hoses, thermostat (old one was fine), temp gauge and adjusted valve clearances soon after getting back.

Since then I've replaced the roof canvas and seals (last month, including stripping frame back to metal and repainting; b**** of a job getting the frame re-aligned after removing it) and various bits of trim and assorted suspension bushings... it's a labour of love, still plenty of things I'd like to do...

PS: Always on the look out for the removable hard top on the slim chance anyone has one they want to sell...

post-52581-0-95991000-1433377871_thumb.j

post-52581-0-59938900-1433377882_thumb.j

post-52581-0-79082000-1433377891_thumb.j

• Like 9

Nice car, looks in very good nick and glad to hear it is being looked after.

In terms of a hard-top try Ethirty_Andy on here, he has found a contact in the UK and is looking to bring a couple over.

• Like 1

Nice work, welcome to the forum, full of a wealth of knowledge from the right members! Look forward to seeing the progress in your ownership.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Jon, I'll get in touch with Ethirty_Andy and see what he's planning...

Thanks Jon

Welcome to Bimmersport!

Nice car, not many facelift E30 cabbys around!

Welcome to the forum. Your car is stunning.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of it on here.

Guest MP0wer

I Bid you welcome, now if you would kindly go onto youtube and search James Blunt You are Beautiful to further allow me to convey my welcome to you and your car. It goes something like this if I remember right.. "You are Beautiful, You are Beautiful its True, I saw you down the road with another man in you, but I have got a plan"... I am not expressing my desire to steal her, Blame James Blunt and my over imaginative brain . :ph34r:

• Like 2

Went to look at this car when it was for sale in Rangiora. Was in reasonable nick but had a number of oil leaks and various issues with the roof mechanism. Was keen on buying it but the owner was an a**hole and threw his toys when I started pointing out the issues and told me to "bugger off if I was going to nitpick". Had to laugh, I just drove away.

Looks like you've done all the hard work with the roof and tidied it up nicely. Welcome to BS.

You're right Mark, the guy I brought it off was very difficult to deal with and dodgy, he was also a mechanic... Interestingly the garage he owned had just issued it a warrant, which it should clearly have failed with the wheels fouling the body (as above with tie rods) and the ABS not working (he'd removed the light, it was just one of the sensors), broken tail light lense, bulbs out etc. In hindsight I should have raked him over the coals for it with Land Transport but didn't. My first experience buying a car sight unseen and it's not for the faint hearted flying one way to Christchurch to pick up a 20 yo car from a guy who basically wouldn't talk over the phone.

I've solved most the little leaks now, rocker gasket, cam shaft seal, oil return tube seals and a big power steering fluid leak (just the hose clamp on the bottom of the reservoir - again he was a mechanic, ridiculous he didn't fix this). The electro-mechanical roof mechanism is a work in progress as who ever disabled it when the top motor broke just removed the connecting rods (it works fine manually) which are proving difficult to source.

Clearly it was a bit unloved, but thankfully with a bit of TLC I have avoided any major issues so far.

Welcome. That is gorgeous.

Welcome. Beautiful car. Are you in/around Ponsonby then? Look forward to seeing your car around!!

Thanks Jeff, same to you... Just off P' Road... I need to give the car a clean before you'll notice me about... basket weaves are black with dust :S a bit harder to clean than your lovely M parallels...

• Like 1

Thanks Jeff, same to you... Just off P' Road... I need to give the car a clean before you'll notice me about... basket weaves are black with dust :S a bit harder to clean than your lovely M parallels...

Welcome, great looking cab. Dragons Breath for the wheels mate. United car care website, save all the shagging about cleaning, brushing and scrubbing

+1 to Dragon's breath but no real substitute for elbow grease. Soft bristled toothbrush and a few good hours should do the trick! Then regular cleaning so the brake dust doesn't build up!!

Welcome and well done for rescuing a near basket case.

I hope it pays you back with years of trouble-free motoring. Who am I kidding? It's an e30. e30's have a habit of building one's character in a love-hate relationship kind of way.

Yet for some reason I've owned one or more for over a decade....

Seriously though, it looks great and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

beaut car !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk