Sign in to follow this  
qube

Finally back into a BMW! E36 328i Coupe

I = injected, A = automatic, S = sports? Not sure on that last one. To get it changed you need evidence, eg. Owners manual or a letter from a dealer, and then there is a change of registration details form to be completed. Not sure what Mr # it is, but I do know I've never seen anywhere that has it....

Cool project. Was offered a mint NZ new Manual 328is the other day, old guy owns it up the road, I am considering it... if only it wasn't bright Red, that Green is nice.

I = injected, A = automatic, S = sports? Not sure on that last one. To get it changed you need evidence, eg. Owners manual or a letter from a dealer, and then there is a change of registration details form to be completed. Not sure what Mr # it is, but I do know I've never seen anywhere that has it....

Its a PITA fro memory. You need to get a letter from a dealership describing/explaining/identifying what the car is.

I had a Toyota Altezza badged as a Lexus IS200 once and it was registered as:

Brand: Toyota

Model: Lexus

Thats it, not even Altezza or IS200.

hahahaha the things some people (dealers) do.. there is a difference between an is200 and a altezza. afaik leather seats is the main giveaway.

cant go wrong with a nz new manual 328is but the red is really only for certain taste.. ive grown quite fond of this boston green, used to hate it back in the day but its a refreshing change from all the black cars ive owned recently.

(hey graham, i was trying to find pics of your megane rs the other day but no luck.. got a link?)

Good buy Kyu. Very similar to mine. Even down to the same colour :)

The factory manual NZ new 328i E36s with the ZF Transmissions are a great performance bargain. So impressed with mine for the money.

Good call on the cooling gear, gotta be sure there isn't a time-bomb there!

so ive replaced the headliner with new fabric, refitted the doorcards and glued in the inserts. looking much better now.

one problem, i tilted the seat recline all the way back to clean it up in all the nooks and crannys and now the seat wont tilt back forward. oh no..

any ideas how to fix this? quick google search says that i may have broken a little white gear that needs replacing sigh.

what a pain!

(its an automatic seat not the manual ones)

Edited by QUBE

it doesnt move at all even if u push up on it. the motor is running but just tilt the seat forward

Pulled the seat out and opened up the little gearbox. One of the plastic cogs had a crack in it so wouldnt turn the main gear. There were two sets of these in the gearbox so i switched it over. Now i regained the tilting movement and moving front and back works too. Lost the ability to move rhe seat up and down but no biggie.

Also some pics of the retrimmed headliner and properly attached door cards

Yay!

post-3185-0-30255500-1434164774_thumb.jp

post-3185-0-41063900-1434164939_thumb.jp

post-3185-0-39084000-1434164949_thumb.jp

post-3185-0-52038200-1434164970_thumb.jp

post-3185-0-13249100-1434164978_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Glad see you got that seat fixed.

Interiors come up looking real nice. Headliner looks very smart.

Thanks Dave!

All i gotta do interior wise now is clean the floormats or replace with new ones, retrim the parcel tray and i want to update the gearknob to the round one. Havent been able to find one though.

Im contemplating whether or not I want to upgrade the front seats to the E46 ones. Its hard to find a matching colour though so it will be something ill consider if opportunity comes up.

oh and the center arm rest thats a must.

haha Kyu, welcome! Nice purchase!!

Correct.

Don't worry Kyu, mine is a "M3 3.2 Coupe M3 3.2 Coupe" :-/

Only an accommodating main dealer can get it changed. If you take it to BMW for an expensive service (Inspection II) they may help?

Dave, buddy, my mine is almost as bad :P

"M34DR 3.2 M34DR 3.2"

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase - car looks sharp and you have given it a bit of love in a short span of time!

ive used fcp euro before and they were always good. I will also check with paul at milland to compare prices.

hey mike, ive been searching for the part number for the front windscreen rubber seal but the straight piece that goes along the bottom edge. no luck

any ideas?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BG22-EUR-07-1995-E36-BMW-328i&diagId=51_2051

number one in this diagram i think

Do you mean the windshield cowl? The long piece of plastic. The part number you need is 51711977678 - this is the RHD version.

Also, about the outer control arms bushings - I got the Meyle HD ones from Milland a few years ago for my 328 and got Glenn at Botany Motorworx to press them in. Still working well and gives a bit more feedback. I'm running them with the offset M3 front control arm bushings.

Edited by Mpulsive

im quite new to the whole suspension upgrade thing as ive never done it on my previous cars. i am going to take my time and do it right with this car so all info is appreciated.

the thing i need is just the long black rubber that seals the windscreen in. i dont even know if its a proper bmw part or just some random bit. (not the windshield cowl, although i may need that too as mines very faded)

Thanks Dave!

All i gotta do interior wise now is clean the floormats or replace with new ones, retrim the parcel tray and i want to update the gearknob to the round one. Havent been able to find one though.

Im contemplating whether or not I want to upgrade the front seats to the E46 ones. Its hard to find a matching colour though so it will be something ill consider if opportunity comes up.

oh and the center arm rest thats a must.

Kyu, the arm rest is one of the best mods ive made to my car :P (maybe cupholders second haha)

• Like 1

Buy a set of e30 Lemforder ball joints and get them pressed into your suspension arms. They are a far better design than the e36 ones as they do not have the rubber dampening bit that collapses as yours have and allow play in the suspension. P/N is LEM-1051903. While you are about it, replace the 'lollipop' bushes with the offset e30 M3 ones, P/N LEM-1056001. These make a decent change to steering responsiveness. While you have the arms off, check the inner ball joints and replace them if they show any wear. part number LEM-1051802.

Replace the front ARB drop links with the rear drop links from a 2000-2007 Ford Mondeo Estate. These units are rose-jointed, giving a firmer, stronger hold over your anti-roll bar. Much better than the BMW ones. They are available from Lemforder, part number is LMI 2581102.

I bought Lemfoerder ball joints and bushings throughout for my rear suspension overhaul. Most were a bit cheaper than BMW genuine on ECS tuning.

• Like 2

thanks for that julian, im trying to slow down a little because i know i can start ordering boxes of parts and its going to end up being a lot more expensive than what i had in mind.

ill get round to the suspension parts sooner rather than later

• Like 1

went to pick-a-part and pulled out a nose panel for $24+$2 entry fee

• Like 2

Where are the E31 pick-a-parts?

HAH. I saw Zebra had a V8 E38 recently. Quite a rare occurance. Usually they only get 318is and maybe the odd 520i E39.

Never seen a Soarer let alone an E31!

Ahhhhhhmmmm..

Pick a part.. E38 V8.

I see a trip to Auckland in my future...lol

there was one e38 730i in cosmos black most things gone and really smashed up, not much left to salvage i think but its there. mangere branch.

about 7 or 8 other bmws there e36 compact sedan coupe and a lonely red e46 sedan 318 or something

You should buy that manual one that someone is selling on here for 2k, take the manual conversion and wreck the rest of it. Free manual conversion.

^ was considering it, but as i posted on that thread, depending on the condition it might be a waste to wreck it if its easily fixed.

if i had the garage space i would do it..

Fittes clear taillights. Before and after pics.

I actuallt kind of like amber on the green but since i already had cleae corner indicators decided to go clear back as well

post-3185-0-20978700-1434668749_thumb.jp

post-3185-0-50357400-1434668764_thumb.jp

• Like 2

MIght sound stupid but I think the clears make it look faster.. ha ha

• Like 1