Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

Sunday drive

Weather like today might not be ideal for driving but it's perfect for photos! Mike, Martin and I took a turn out to Kawakawa Bay and it was spectacular. Great fun drive too, before the rain really set in, and a good test for the new suspension in my 8er. So good! Rock solid in the twisties at reasonable pace, where previously she'd have been very skittish (or just wound up in a ditch!) at that speed.

Here are a few of the best ones... The rest are on here:

18175407864_96e6134bbd_c.jpg

18177360763_738a3e9652_c.jpg

18771711276_a0f191b119_c.jpg

18175366394_f324f76a73_c.jpg

18800635981_6687332faf_c.jpg

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 7

I'm jealous. Cars look awesome and the location's stunning.

I've gotta find some local people with Bimmers to drive with..Got turned down by the local classic car club because my car's not classic..lol Sad.

• Like 1

Good shots Jooles.

That was quite a fun drive before the rain set in. At least there was enough time for a few pics!

• Like 1

All cars looking great, but your E31 is looking amazing now. So staunch.

• Like 2

My 225s vs the 275s on both other cars were a noted point of embarrassment. I need some wide, dished BBS'!

• Like 2

Mike and I swapped cars on the drive back to Clevedon. Very impressed with the cabin tech in the Soarer; made my 8 look like an antique and it's only a few years older.

• Like 1

Yeah it's pretty crazy what the Japanese got up to. They really pushed the development of these cars.

I think in the late 80s early 90s the Germans were falling behind a bit having ridden on a lot of success in the 70s - 80s and kind of lost focus.

Was enjoyably to finally drive a sorted E31. I was surprised how E34 like it felt, reminded me of my old 535i, but just a lower longer 2 door version with a greater sense of occasion. :)

Awesome. Where's the skids?

We left TRC on with such wet weather :P

Yeah it's pretty crazy what the Japanese got up to. They really pushed the development of these cars.

I think in the late 80s early 90s the Germans were falling behind a bit having ridden on a lot of success in the 70s - 80s and kind of lost focus.

Was enjoyably to finally drive a sorted E31. I was surprised how E34 like it felt, reminded me of my old 535i, but just a lower longer 2 door version with a greater sense of occasion. :)

In 1989 when the E31 came out, everyone thought it was space age (just see the Top Gear reviews!!) but I guess tech, particularly in Japan moved on very quickly but there were no major updates to the E31 in 10 years of production. Really liked the one touch indicator and wiper controls and the cluster display in your car, there are new cars that don't work as well. You need to source some buttons in English though!

We left TRC on with such wet weather :P

I think I should have switched OFF the Soarer TRC, it was terrifyingly aggressive in the wet!

• Like 1

In 1989 when the E31 came out, everyone thought it was space age (just see the Top Gear reviews!!) but I guess tech, particularly in Japan moved on very quickly but there were no major updates to the E31 in 10 years of production. Really liked the one touch indicator and wiper controls and the cluster display in your car, there are new cars that don't work as well. You need to source some buttons in English though!

I think I should have switched OFF the Soarer TRC, it was terrifyingly aggressive in the wet!

Yeah too true. Japanese have always had a very electronic focused past, just look at all the gimmicky stuff they had in the 80s. Europeans seemed to be more conservative and less focused on things that weren't really that important. Ie digital dashes vs Analogue, the Japs loved that stuff, don't think many European cars had that stuff back in the 80s?

Haha, yeah the one touch setup is quirky, its called the soft touch option.. it's a bit odd if you're used to the regular stuff but quite nifty once you get used to it. Haha yeah the Japanese buttons around the console screen? They used to have english stickers over the top but I hate them as they look tacky and block the backlighting, I've since gotten used to what each button does so it's less of a mystery, only 4 really have functions, Air con, screen control, audio and the trip computer / datalogger. The others are for the GPS map which doesn't work outside of Japan sadly. No NZ coded maps were (or any other country) were made to suit that specific systems configuration, even though it uses Toyota map CDs in a special unit in the boot, some Aussie guys tired Lexus/Toyota supplied Nav discs but they weren't compatible.

Hands down coolest feature of the Soarer is the water drop remover on the side mirrors!

care to elaborate? im picturing little wipers but im sure its not!

care to elaborate? im picturing little wipers but im sure its not!

It's designed for colder climates, when the mirrors are fogged up with a layer of moisture making them non-reflective, when in that state they work best to 'vibrate' the condensation off / vaporise it.

An ultrasonic speaker does the work and is mounted in the back of the mirror. It operates for 5 seconds per button press.

The mirror heater then takes over and does the rest.

It's not really for rain water drops as you can still see the reflection clearly enough, but this video gives you an idea. Gimicky for sure but it does work in the mornings!

Edited by Michael.
  • Like 1

jeez and i thought the heated mirrors in the golf were flash!

Doesn't seem to do anything! I bet it gives dogs the shits.

Nice drive BTW. Were was our invites?? haha

• Like 2

Nice drive BTW. Were was our invites?? haha

Good point. I should make a list of people who might like to go for a drive on a Sunday at short notice.

• Like 2

Perhaps we should expand the Sunday monthly meets to turn into a Sunday afternoon drive out to some East / Western bays decided within the week leading up to it?

• Like 2

cool features and pics .

or the wipers on my e24 635csi headlights back in 1985 and with heated door locks and heated mirror glass :)

post-279-0-29447800-1434348890_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

haha mike thats very cool. keen for the drive next time if im invited :D

• Like 1

haha mike thats very cool. keen for the drive next time if im invited :D

BMWs to the front!

Yeah, where was my invite?

I hate to perpetuate the Toyota discussion but how much does that Soarer weigh with all those questionable options?

The hydraulic system for the rear steering and suspension, so all the lines, fittings, pumps and random bits, 110kg. I weighed the lot when I stripped one of these down for spare parts. The rest of the 'toys' easily 50kg of bits and pieces.

With someone in the car mine weighed in at ~1830kg, so they are a heavy hector, hence the need to develop a supercharger. :P

• Like 1

wow makes my e63 645ci look like a feather weight

• Like 1

wow makes my e63 645ci look like a feather weight

Surely those would be around 1700kg?

cant have much pace with the 1jz