Sign in to follow this  
Dyl

Leather restoration

Does anyone have an Auckland recommendation for someone who does leather restoration? Not looking for reupholstering but a proper rest. Cheers

What sort of restoration are you looking for? Is scuffs to the color, wrinkles or?

There are a few sites that sell repair kits for the DIY'er.

https://www.leathermagic.com/bmw-leather-colors

http://www.leatherique.com/

And a ton of videos on youtube for this kind of repair/restoration. I saw one the not only showed how to repair scuffs to the surface color but also how to repair cuts or gouges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8lPMxEe4A

My 750i has a lot of surface scuffing to the color and I'm going to give one of these repair kits a try.

Edited by kulgan

if you don't want to get hands on give Gerry a call at Team Mc Millan BMW in Great South corner with Market road. He will refer you to someone really good.

I'm in the process of redying some blue leather sport seats for E30... I want them black. Spent hours prepping them. Leatherique is stupid expensive and the only other alternative I could find here was fiebing`s.

I do not recommend it at all. So shiny almost looks silver and the dye rubs out onto clothing etc. Will be looking for another alternative

I used the products from Paul Ford Leather. He is awesome, he makes sure you understand everything!

paulfordleather@gmail.com

The weather is getting perfect for this. I set up a marque and went the various stages of cleaning, prepping, dye then dye fixing with clear. I am lucky I have access to tools and a compressor and spray guns etc.

Mine came out awesome. It's also a very satisfying job. Well the leather part is anyway, pulling seats out and s*&t wasn't too cool.

Mine hasn't rubbed off on me or anything, it doesn't look perfect because I wanted to retain the fact they are old and worn, unless you want the leather to look new where by you will need re-leathering which is replacing the leather altogether.

I will try to get somepics for ya

Sounds good Lionel, thanks for the info. Have done all the prepping etc just need to fill the cracks and dye. Don't have the spray guns etc but just plan to use a foam applicator. Would be great to see pics, thanks !

Can I ask what car you did it in? I understand newer cars 'leather' is not quite how is used to be. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

Sounds good Lionel, thanks for the info. Have done all the prepping etc just need to fill the cracks and dye. Don't have the spray guns etc but just plan to use a foam applicator. Would be great to see pics, thanks !

Can I ask what car you did it in? I understand newer cars 'leather' is not quite how is used to be. And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost you?

Oh, cant remember the cost, but if I bought it, it must've been cheaper than any other alternative because I hate spending money.

• Like 1

I actually had a nice lady from Fibrenew come out and see my car as a result of bga's thread. She took lots of photos and said it was certainly doable... never heard back!?

My plans have changed since anyway so no loss.

• Like 1