Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Looking for a new car - alternatives to BMW

Hi,

I'm starting to think about a new car. Initially I was thinking about a mid-sized sedan like an e90, a Mercedes c-class (w203 or 204), Audi A4 (B6 or B7), Volkwasgen Passat (B7 - don't like B6 styling), or a [gulp] v36 Nissan Skyline.

But, I am considering a change at work that would mean relinquishing my Hilux, so I'm now wondering about something that can load carry to a certain extent as well.

I quite like the idea of diesel, but would prefer something in the 145kw, 400Nm region (although I realise there is more choice at the 125-130kw 350Nm level and this would probably be adequate), and best possible towing capability I can. Decent styling and a quality interior are also high on the list. Basically a really good all-rounder with a comfortable and tasteful cabin.

Price range is $15-20k with the higher end of that range only for the "right" vehicle.

I think that prices cross-overs and small SUVs out of my range, so I'm thinking a diesel wagon.

Obvious contenders are the same as my initial list except the merc (they don't make good-looking estates) and the Nissan (I'm not going to be caught dead in the v36 crossover, and besides they're all recent Jap imports with non-functioning sat nav, etc).

But I also wonder about the Alfa 159 2.4 diesel wagon. I've always avoided Alfa because of their previous reputation, but can anyone shed any light on whether this has changed and whether the 159 is a good contender (particularly the 4wd model).

Also, perhaps there is something in the Peugeot line-up?

Or is there something else I'm not thinking of?

I've test driven the Audi, BMW and Nissan in petrol sedan form, I've had an Amarok, driven numerous recent golfs and been in a 2L and r36 passat, so know what to expect from the VW's and I've driven a 320d. I need to get out and take some more drives, but anyone got any educated opinions they want to share?

I'm not really wanting a ute either. That's just what I'm coming from. I've not made any progress otherwise on a new car except the Alfa is back off the list.

While we're on the subject though, I had an Amarok from new for 2 years (up until November last year) and while it didn't have the full torque of the 3.0 Hilux, it was actually a great little engine. I towed a 3 tonne trailer (max towing capacity for the Amarok) up the north side of the Brynderwyns heading south over a dozen times and it would happily pull it up there at the 80 km limit (not much in reserve though). It was great around town, and without the trailer I could get between 7 and 8 L/100km without driving particularly economically.

As the vehicle was only 2 years old when I moved to the Hilux, I can't comment on long-term durability of the small capacity engine. But having put 60,000kms on it on those two years I can say it was a fantastic package and by far the best ute I've ever spent any serious time in. It performed great off-road too, it has brilliant safety features (for any car, not just a ute), it has the best interior of any ute, it was the best looking ute when it was released and still looks good despite being an old design now. I would definitely have one again.

But that's just my opinion - it certainly wouldn't suit everyone and we all have our loyalties.

The Guilia? It looks awesome, but probably out of my price range. I'm looking in the 5 years old market. That v6 sounds brilliant though!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

had a V36 skyline a few cars back, top spec 350GT. Fantastic engine and auto, but the driving experience and handling were drastically underwhelming. Drove like a rocket powered barge, even with the "sport" pack. Quick in a straight line, but roly poly in corners. It was also as dull as bricks to drive when not dragging people off from the lights. Open road driving is its thing though, i did 6 hours non-stop once and felt fresh getting out.

All the in dash units are in japanese. not too hard to work out how to use (there are translated user guides online) but something to keep in mind.

The plus side is that its very comfortable, can handle being 5 up easily, not terrible on gas, looks good, has nissan reliability, lots of safety things, and is sure to make you crack a grin when accelerating.

C-Classes are unreliable turds, wouldnt bother.

Alfas are hit and miss at best. My old 159 cost me more in repairs in the short time i had it than any other car. It was also only about 10 years old at the time and had serious rust issues (holes in the floor pan). Great engine and gearbox though.

I second the recommendation of a 530D. Lots of torque, great to drive, typical BMW quality and comfort.

Edited by KwS

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/citroen/auction-930806192.htm

This car is a find, been trying to convince my old man to get it. Once you drive one of these you'll never go back. If you were considering a peugeot 407/308 then this car trumps it all day with the ride quality.

They are monsters in disguise. Torque for days 440nm!!!! and very reliable. The DT 17 engine is used in by Ford, Landrover, Peugoet, Citroen.

Get it into my work and we'll do a ppi on it, recommend a whole bunch of work, and you can get her even cheaper cool bananas.

Edited by André3000
  • Like 1

I have the 2015 manual ranger and it's terrible!!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I basically keep coming back to a 330d wagon (hens teeth in nz) or a4 3.0d quattro wagon. Was a good exercise though to see what else is out there. Now I'll just bide my time until I get rid of the e30 and the ute before I go shopping.

Just not a fan of the styling. No other reason.

Just not a fan of the styling. No other reason.

and thats a good enough reason