Sign in to follow this  
cage

Cold air box's

Whos keen for a cold air box??

i will be geting one made for my car they are costing about 100 and for cabon 150

any one else keen

I know most stuff about CAI - whats the difference? how are you changing it from stock? and why not just a CAI instead?

Just asking

i will be geting one made for my car they are costing about 100 and for cabon 150

any one else keen

A hundy for a cold air box is a pretty good deal. Can you please give me some more info and/or pics cos I am quite keen also! Cheers.

I doubt that any of you guys will make any noticable gains by making the change and putting in a cold air box.

Unless you are driving at a really really high speed (i.e a lot faster than your 318i's are capable of doing) you will not need anything more than the stock air intake/filter. Just keep the stock filter clean and replace it at regular intervals.

Any increase you think you are getting will be purely psychological.

Skubez, you will be better off putting the $100.00 into fixing any small things you find wrong with the car once you get it.

Cheers

would have to agree with grant....im making my own anyway (only cos my car came with a pod!)...currently using a dodgy cardboard one haha

Guest MSBOND

any one else keen

A hundy for a cold air box is a pretty good deal. Can you please give me some more info and/or pics cos I am quite keen also! Cheers.
You are getting ripped hard, they are making 100% and more profit off you, you can buy the sheeting for $50 from most performance retailers and do it yourself, so easy!

any one else keen

You are getting ripped hard, they are making 100% and more profit off you, you can buy the sheeting for $50 from most performance retailers and do it yourself, so easy!
sure, you could do it yourselves like msbond said, but does the box your selling come completely ready to fit and look right? cause its a bitch trying to create the exact right shape from scratch and get it looking half way decent, not like a drunk blindman took to some aluminum with tin snips and slapped it in your engine bay with some duct tape. you know who you are.... ;)

put some pics up cuase i could be interested...

grant, eventhough performance would be pretty much minimal at best, non existant at worst, would you perhaps get a better induction sound? thoughts?

Guest Andrew

induction sound would be OK - I just don't see the point in spending.. what $200 (i don't know how much a pod filter is) for virtually no gain.

if i had a choice....just replace the stock panel filter in the bmw airbox with a K&N...they come stock with CAI...so why bother with a pod? unfortunately i have pod...will be making a heatshield sometime....200 is way too much...a guy on maxbimmer sells them for $50 canadian I THINK.....or just make your own....either or

if there were no gains for a 318 what about a 325? surely a well fed and closed off pod would make some difference... dosent upgraded intake and exhaust let the engine rev more freely?

if there were no gains for a 318 what about a 325? surely a well fed and closed off pod would make some difference... dosent upgraded intake and exhaust let the engine rev more freely?

the standard BMW filter and housing does a pretty good job of that already.

On a 325i, if a cone filter is properly heat shielded you should make a small gain (maybe 1 or 2 hp), but I don't think that it will be enough to make it worthwhile.

But in saying that, it is a reasonably cheap mod, so really there is nothing to lose.

If I was going ti do anything I would simply replace the standard panel filter with a K&N panel filter.

Cheers