Sign in to follow this  
Young Thrash Driver

E30 power steering delete

Thinking of ditching the power steering on the E30, the reason being I have heard it results in better road feel without any real penalty.

My question is- is this legal? If a WOF inspector sees the rack blanked off/ looped, will the car fail its WOF?

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf

This would suggest yes it would need to be certified.

However if you fitted an OEM non-power steering rack such as from an early 316i, and removed all associated gear, then you would probably be fine. legally, probably still requires cert, but would be perfectly safe and unlikely a WOF guy would notice, and if they did, care.

I've simply just removed the belt on the race car. Still technically not legal (as my WOF man initially pointed out) but turns a blind eye

now based on the facts - A: he is a race car man himself & B: he understands the reasoning for.

Andy's suggestion is probably the best - without evidence of a power rack - no one will probably notice.

Bear in mind though - steering is rather heavy for manouvering in tight spaces.

Particularly with the M20 engine.

I've simply just removed the belt on the race car. Still technically not legal (as my WOF man initially pointed out) but turns a blind eye

now based on the facts - A: he is a race car man himself & B: he understands the reasoning for.

Andy's suggestion is probably the best - without evidence of a power rack - no one will probably notice.

I've done the same, in fact I'd expect all of the E30 series cars would have dropped the belt (so it can be returned for Targa / hill climbs / rallys etc) or replaced the rack.

You can buy the block off plate from condor speed shop. It would make it fairly un noticeable and it lets the rack bleed air without having to loop hoses etc.