Sign in to follow this  
ravi1414

BMW 320I 2005 Parts needed

Hi guys,

So Just did a car scan and it came out with 3 different codes

2F9E Thermal oil level sensor

2A6F Valvetronic, minimum lift exceeded

2F7B Oil Pressure Switch

I am planning to get the Thermal oil sensor and Oil Pressure switch replaced. Is there any place in NZ (Christchurch preferably) where I can buy the parts and get this replaced through a workshop.

Thanks in Advance.

Rav

The dealer? A lot of these engines don't get serviced properly and a lot of things go wrong, timing chain and valvetronic related because of that. It'll probably need more parts than the ones you've listed

The dealer? A lot of these engines don't get serviced properly and a lot of things go wrong, timing chain and valvetronic related because of that. It'll probably need more parts than the ones you've listed

I bought this of a guy .. so dealer is out of question. Went to BMW authorized dealer and they quoted my 3k (A bit too much imo)

I bought this of a guy .. so dealer is out of question. Went to BMW authorized dealer and they quoted my 3k (A bit too much imo)

you have brought a premium vehicle, you will need to get used to service bills accordingly. wjhat is your $3k buying you?

Who diagnosed the faults as the sensors themselves? possibly just something out of range tripped a sensor and stored a code etc.

101 of using a scan tool (i will admit i took a few years to learn), they are just a tool to point you in the right direction, they are not a bible.

all of those are oil related, seems like too much of a coincidence to me, could be something as simple as old/dirty oil, or the oil in there of the wrong type etc.

• Like 1

^^^^^All that.

Wait till Glenn chimes in on this ;)

you have brought a premium vehicle, you will need to get used to service bills accordingly. wjhat is your $3k buying you?

Who diagnosed the faults as the sensors themselves? possibly just something out of range tripped a sensor and stored a code etc.

101 of using a scan tool (i will admit i took a few years to learn), they are just a tool to point you in the right direction, they are not a bible.

all of those are oil related, seems like too much of a coincidence to me, could be something as simple as old/dirty oil, or the oil in there of the wrong type etc.

Bought the car last Dec, Had it properly serviced. The fault just started 1 week back so got it scanned by a local guy in Christchurch . It makes sense now that all 3 faults are oil related and I wanted to get the parts replaced (For my satisfaction). 3k I got told were for parts and diagnostics. Labour charge was extra. Reading a lot on the forums is making me question if 3k+ worth when I can get these parts from UK on a good rate.

Are you sure it's got oil in it ??? If the level sensor is faulty and it's the only way you can check the level without draining it...they don't have dipsticks. If the valvetronic motor is faulty it may also need a new DME. I suggest check oil level. Drain and refill, clear fault codes & adaptions, road test and recheck. See what codes come back. If oil volume is low check for oil leaks and valve stem seal issues and while you're at it check for water leaks and coolant component deterioration. Good luck

Yes pretty sure oil in it. I'll get the car full serviced this week and reset the codes. Lets see if it comes back. Worst come worst, I'll get the oil sensor and Oil pressure switch replaced.

Like Andy said, just because a code for an item comes up, doesn't mean that item is faulty.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to look at it. Replacing those parts MAY just be money spent replacing parts that are functioning perfectly, but are given out of range readings, because something external is influencing them.

It happens all the time, then people moan about how expensive their BMW is to maintain... when really, they've spent $1000 replacing things that weren't broken, and the $25 part fixed it... but the retard "mechanic" who though he knew better is hardly going to tell the customer that part!

Common one is the mixture deviation code for E39 o2 sensors - people replace the sensors at great cost... when it was just a split in the rubber intake boot.....