Sign in to follow this  
gbahler@xtra.co.nz

How many 135i manuals bought into NZ new?

I take it you are referring to the older E82 / E88 1-series models, not the newer F20 M135i?

Both the 135i Coupe and Convertible were specced with an auto as standard, if you term the DCT as an auto, so the vast majority of the cars officially brought in and sold NZ new are autos. A quick search shows that there were 5 coupes brought in as manual, but no convertibles.

• Like 1

I take it you are referring to the older E82 / E88 1-series models, not the newer F20 M135i?

Both the 135i Coupe and Convertible were specced with an auto as standard, if you term the DCT as an auto, so the vast majority of the cars officially brought in and sold NZ new are autos. A quick search shows that there were 5 coupes brought in as manual, but no convertibles.

The N54 (2008-2010) 135i only came with auto or manual correct?

I think the N55 (2011-2013) 135i came with DCT as a option

I only did a quick check, and wasn't looking at the engine variants, but as it was only the later cars that had the DCT then that would make sense.

Interesting.

The guy I brought my car off in 2009 had a Black 135i in Manual with nice options like Adaptive Xenon and BMW Performance enhancements through out including the lush Recaro's. Best spec 135i I have ever seen, one to look out for in the used market.

But then the 1M come out and.. well, thats the one we all want.

I have been looking at the 2008/09 E82 model and knew that they were scarce but I didn't realise that there were only 5 manuals bought in. I just missed out on a manual car this week so it could be another 12 months or so before another comes up. A 1M would be nice but still expensive and makes M3's look far better value for money!

I might have to reconsider going for a 135i manual and look at an auto model - has anyone driven and compared the two? Also were many DCT versions bought in NZ new?

I have been looking at the 2008/09 E82 model and knew that they were scarce but I didn't realise that there were only 5 manuals bought in. I just missed out on a manual car this week so it could be another 12 months or so before another comes up. A 1M would be nice but still expensive and makes M3's look far better value for money!

I might have to reconsider going for a 135i manual and look at an auto model - has anyone driven and compared the two? Also were many DCT versions bought in NZ new?

Would you look at that, a manual M3 for sale! :P :P :P

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=907537724

• Like 1

There's a few manual M3's which are close to twice the price of the 135i. Going to see if the auto is as good as I have read.

Which model are you looking at ? the N54 or the N55 version>?

Flash the auto with the Alpina firmware, makes the auto a hell of a lot better i hear.

• Like 2

my little 120d with a manual gearbox was a fantastic little car

There are a few 123d's with manual but I they just don't sound the same - there's something about the 6 cylinder petrol!

i def agree but just sayin a 1 series manual will be a fantastic fun car.

• Like 2

slush-matics leave me cold.

Really Ron? I hadn't noticed that, you should have said.

• Like 1

I've only really had jap imports and no real issues - had a subaru gt and did 80 thousands kms over 3yrs and not a single issue

Currently the second owner of a 135i 6-spd manual which was imported this time last year and nothing to note so far (fingers crossed)

Is the reason people seek NZ-new over import for the piece of mind of the history?

How do you get the Alpina firmware flashed to the auto? Thru BMW?

Ross @ bmworkshop botany can do the flash

• Like 1

young guy , customer came into my business today with a white 135i M 6speed manual,

said he looked for ages to find one .

young guy , customer came into my business today with a white 135i M 6speed manual,

said he looked for ages to find one .

Given that the NZ new manuals are scarce I am going for a 6 speed steptronic, the BMW dealer said that the 8 Spd in the 235i is very similar in shift feel and speed to the 6 Spd in the 135i. It didn't seem too much different to my DSG that it was a massive step down but I'll need to confirm for myself, but providing it is ok I'll buy it. I've a couple of imports and whilst they looked ok superficially, once you got them up on a hoist there were always things not quite right although I have seen some tidy M135's but they are used M3 $$.

I think the salesman may well have been using a bit of exaggeration there. Whilst the old 6 speed steptronic is not a bad box (as far as autos go), and you can shift it on the paddles or from the stick it is a long, long, way off of the 8 speed sports auto from the M235i.

Don't know if we have DCT versions here, DCT is pretty awesome if you can get one. Shifts as fast as you can click those paddles.

• Like 1

Don't know if we have DCT versions here, DCT is pretty awesome if you can get one. Shifts as fast as you can click those paddles.

with the factory steptronic + paddles - it would lag downshifting/upshifting

with the alpina flash - would shift as fast as you click those paddles

with the factory steptronic + paddles - it would lag downshifting/upshifting

with the alpina flash - would shift as fast as you click those paddles

Edit: Removed, I was wrong. I thought 135i had a different trans to 335i but researched and found I was wrong. 135i has ZF auto trans like the 335i.

Edited by Matth5
  • Like 1