Sign in to follow this  
Danger

M73 V12 into an E36...

My V12 swapped E34 Touring is slightly nose heavy. Touring are ass heavy from new, so gives a good balance, though V12 sedans are nose heavy.

take more weight "out" by being an E36 instead of an E34, will be quick in a straight line, but not anywhere else.

Just buy my Touring, its on at $8500 now.

Over 1000 watchers now.

at a loss why it is still in my driveway.

assume its because the WOF has expired and rego is on hold, must get it back to legal at some stage.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=884025340

Theres many reasons to do these things

1, Cause you can

2, Cause you want to

3, To own something different

4, To get up nose's of other BMW owners ( top of the list for me ) gives them something to cry over on forums.

5, Its your ride you pay the bills, and it makes you happy to do so.

6, Cause you can say " i did it "

You-tube is your friend when its comes to conversions people are always keen to show off.

• Like 8

DO something new and adventurous chuck a V10 in it

HA! Are you going to help him with the cost? An old M7X engine is one thing to use... the S85 V10 is on another cost level & some....

Once again another of your irrational suggestions.

• Like 2

I was really only thinking along the lines of a cheap hotrod style build. The missus has growled at me now and I'm back to looking for something roadworthy while I finish some other cars. Will keep the V12 E36 in the back of my mind though

Quite interesting to read today an M60b40 block (sans crank, pistons etc) weighs a measly 25KG. Heads 30kg each. Whole running engine 203kg.

An alloy 12 can't be a massive load more than that.

The V12 is a lot heavier plus it is longer and it is old technology.

---- For those who want to poke a stick or finger it is a reasonable choice.

-----For those who want performance and 'wow' factor there are better options.

The V12 was Superceded by the V8 for good reasons - like it is shorter lighter and produces more power .

And Michael, NO its his project and I am just offering my opinion along with some useful facts ( just like many others on the forum), think the compact version was called a K55

Crunchies approach for this one is "why not" where as mine is "why bother" - the reason I own BMW's is because they handle, if I wanted a front heavy wallowing hot rod - I would look at some yank iron or a Holden.

The reason I have just ripped out the front suspension of my Pajero, modified the upper control arms changed the ball joints and am fitting urethane bushes into the idler and the arms is to sharpen it up and make it handle- that's my bent.

Same with fitting Ohlins to the bike , extracting another 10kW and stripping 10kg of surplus weight out of it.

Bottom line, its not your money Danger can do as he pleases

• Like 2

Crunchies approach for this one is "why not" where as mine is "why bother" - the reason I own BMW's is because they handle, if I wanted a front heavy wallowing hot rod - I would look at some yank iron or a Holden.

The reason I have just ripped out the front suspension of my Pajero, modified the upper control arms changed the ball joints and am fitting urethane bushes into the idler and the arms is to sharpen it up and make it handle- that's my bent.

Same with fitting Ohlins to the bike , extracting another 10kW and stripping 10kg of surplus weight out of it.

Why don't you tube frame the front of your Pajero, dual shocks, and add a couple steering dampeners while you're at it? Urethane bushes and standard control arms are old technology.

Going with your approach here - "why bother".

Turd, polish etc.

• Like 6

Why don't you tube frame the front of your Pajero, dual shocks, and add a couple steering dampeners while you're at it? Urethane bushes and standard control arms are old technology.

Going with your approach here - "why bother".

Turd, polish etc.

And we have check mate !

Got to love some of the gifted people in this place a Ash ;)

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 2

The V12 was Superceded by the V8 for good reasons - like it is shorter lighter and produces more power .

Yeah but V12

• Like 9

There is always going to be a better engine choice. Heck I'd love an LF-A V10 engine, but its not going to happen!

Plenty of cheap good engines from the 90s to use, and because they're cheap at least it's achievable

I say go for a M73 V12 5.4

It will be unique in a 3 series and go beautifully with over 320hp / 490nm. Mount it far back as possible and you'll have a great setup. To keep costs down the stock 5 speed auto will do the trick nicely too.

• Like 2

Having completed 2 M70 v12 conversions into e34's, to keep costs down all electrics were used from the donor car to avoid the extra expense of aftermarket ecu's/ tuning etc. These involved a COMPLETE loom replacement (headlights - taillights and everything in between). Splicing into the existing E34 loom was more of a headache than gutting the entire shell and rewiring with donor loom. This is also the way Kayne Barrie did his E34 M70 conversion.

The M73 donor (typically the e38 750iL) however has LOTS more wiring/gizmos/EWS which would make this route an even nicer challenge. I have done a fair bit of research into converting an M73 to run on the earlier M70 (Bosch) system, but unfortunately it is not as easy as the conversions Brent has done with the M62 - M60 Ecu's.

The conclusion I came to was that the only really feasible way to run the M73 (without getting deep into electrickery and recoding of stuffs) was to run an aftermarket ECU. Which = more money plus tuning time (again more money) to get it running right.

Car tinkerings have slowed a lot for me over the years as I have moved into bikes, I still have my V12 project sitting in a paddock waiting to bolt the 6speed manual box behind. Seeing topics like this and peoples opinions reminded me of when I was doing mine, pretty much everything repeated in this thread... maybe this is the inspiration I need to get mine back on the road. oh the fun of chasing people round the tracks in a dinosaur lounge suite. An E36 would have much better power to weight ratio but comes with extra challenges and I would suspect quite a bit more cost.

• Like 4

There is always going to be a better engine choice. Heck I'd love an LF-A V10 engine, but its not going to happen!

Plenty of cheap good engines from the 90s to use, and because they're cheap at least it's achievable

I say go for a M73 V12 5.4

It will be unique in a 3 series and go beautifully with over 320hp / 490nm. Mount it far back as possible and you'll have a great setup. To keep costs down the stock 5 speed auto will do the trick nicely too.

Watch this space re: V10

• Like 1

Oh my. Please tell more?

Just trying to sort shipment etc

• Like 1

Just trying to sort shipment etc

And a Z3 to put it in??? :lol:

B)

• Like 2

And a Z3 to put it in??? :lol:

B)

LOL you offering Alan ?

Not sure yet motors at the right price and needs some work, whatever it goes in you'll hear it coming !

LOL you offering Alan ?

Not sure yet motors at the right price and needs some work, whatever it goes in you'll hear it coming !

Nah, but it'd be freakin funny!

Nah, but it'd be freakin funny!

If what i have played pans out itll be a sleeper

M70 is a narrow V-block - will fit in easily into an e36/46 bay.

The neat thing with a V12 in an e30 is you can get it up between the frame rails, whereas the V8 has to go in the top because of the wide V. Means you can lift the V12 up compete with tranny into the bay, the V8 you have to lift the gearbox up from underneath as the combo really does not like going into the e30 bay as a unit! Also the V8 exhaust headers are VERY tight against the e30 rails, does not allow much fancy pipework.

With the much wider bay of the e36/46, and the bolt off front, fitting a V12 will be a breeze, making decent headers will also be much easier. I have dummy fitted a V8 into a Ti just to sort out how the sump/ARB etc will work. The dummy is just the block, no heads yet, but I think there will definitely be plenty of room for a decent-ish set of headers in there compared to the ones on my e30 V8.

Go for the V12, the sound is awesome and it is a relatively cheap conversion to do... except for fitting a manual box, that will be a challenge !

• Like 2

Having completed 2 M70 v12 conversions into e34's, to keep costs down all electrics were used from the donor car to avoid the extra expense of aftermarket ecu's/ tuning etc. These involved a COMPLETE loom replacement (headlights - taillights and everything in between). Splicing into the existing E34 loom was more of a headache than gutting the entire shell and rewiring with donor loom. This is also the way Kayne Barrie did his E34 M70 conversion.

The M73 donor (typically the e38 750iL) however has LOTS more wiring/gizmos/EWS which would make this route an even nicer challenge. I have done a fair bit of research into converting an M73 to run on the earlier M70 (Bosch) system, but unfortunately it is not as easy as the conversions Brent has done with the M62 - M60 Ecu's.

The conclusion I came to was that the only really feasible way to run the M73 (without getting deep into electrickery and recoding of stuffs) was to run an aftermarket ECU. Which = more money plus tuning time (again more money) to get it running right.

Car tinkerings have slowed a lot for me over the years as I have moved into bikes, I still have my V12 project sitting in a paddock waiting to bolt the 6speed manual box behind. Seeing topics like this and peoples opinions reminded me of when I was doing mine, pretty much everything repeated in this thread... maybe this is the inspiration I need to get mine back on the road. oh the fun of chasing people round the tracks in a dinosaur lounge suite. An E36 would have much better power to weight ratio but comes with extra challenges and I would suspect quite a bit more cost.

How much of a difference is there between the M70 & M73? Possible to swap crank, rods etc or are there hidden pratfalls?

Megasquirt 2 & 3 will happily run a V12................. Comparatively very affordable so long as you're not afraid of getting dirty paws (Devils advocate) ;)

Edited by Ahmedsinc

How much of a difference is there between the M70 & M73? Possible to swap crank, rods etc or are there hidden pratfalls?

Megasquirt 2 & 3 will happily run a V12................. Comparatively very affordable so long as you're not afraid of getting dirty paws (Devils advocate) ;)

They are drive by wire throttles, so that adds a bit of complexity, unless you change to a cable driven setup.

• Like 1

Read Lances post above (melowpuf)

They are drive by wire throttles, so that adds a bit of complexity, unless you change to a cable driven setup.

so is M70

Megasquirt 2 & 3 will happily run a V12.

I wouldn't bother with those units, cheap unit for cheap results.

ECUs are expensive for a reason.

I wouldn't bother with those units, cheap unit for cheap results.

ECUs are expensive for a reason.

Bullshit. Good results can be had from a megasquirt, they get a bad name because they are mostly assembled and installed by monkeys. Any ecu Will perform poorly if installed incorrectly

• Like 2