Sign in to follow this  
Danger

M73 V12 into an E36...

Bullshit. Good results can be had from a megasquirt, they get a bad name because they are mostly assembled and installed by monkeys. Any ecu Will perform poorly if installed incorrectly

i agree. the twin turbo BMW V12 4x4 buggy here in wellington is run off megasquirt. something like 800hp or so at the wheels

As stated above the MS does and can give issue's when put together or installed wrong, MS was targeted at the DIY guy to learn some skills thus that creates down falls.

However aftermarket Ecu's are put together by pro's and come with a warranty plus install guidelines, its all about how deep your wallet is.

MS goes for around 800? you can get entry level Haltech's for 1200 all depends on your perspective on cost, but MS has its place like may other products

you can get entry level Haltech's for 1200 all depends on your perspective on cost, but MS has its place like may other products

Im out of my depth here and no experience, but interested to know:

do Haltech and Link etc have options for our BMWs? i.e. do they have the BMW plug receptical on them or do you have to modify factory loom to mate onto their respective proprietary plug?

Im out of my depth here and no experience, but interested to know:

do Haltech and Link etc have options for our BMWs? i.e. do they have the BMW plug receptical on them or do you have to modify factory loom to mate onto their respective proprietary plug?

All my installs i do wire in mainly for the reason you end up with new wiring helps to avoid little things that pop up that you send hours chasing.

The Haltech has no issues decoding the 60-2 many ecu's do, as plug and play ive never asked most of my customers are not fussed about OEM frilly bits just more go

Self learning wireless EFI?

MSD = My Spark Dissapeared

• Like 2

Depends what you want really. If you're expecting every last hp & tq extracted from an engine with zero real input from you then the high end systems are what you want. Personally I've learned a metric sh*t-ton about 4 stroke EFI piston engines in the last few months and I haven't physically started with my M54 swap yet.

If you wish to deliver your car to someone and haven them do all the work then there are multitudes of options available, all with their respective gains and downfalls.

If you want to learn and don't mind applying a little effort then consider an MS. No you probably won't end up with a polished pro result but there's massive satisfaction in building something as opposed to just buying it :)

That oughta fling the cat amongst the pigeons! :ph34r:

Depends what you want really. If you're expecting every last hp & tq extracted from an engine with zero real input from you then the high end systems are what you want. Personally I've learned a metric sh*t-ton about 4 stroke EFI piston engines in the last few months and I haven't physically started with my M54 swap yet.

If you wish to deliver your car to someone and haven them do all the work then there are multitudes of options available, all with their respective gains and downfalls.

If you want to learn and don't mind applying a little effort then consider an MS. No you probably won't end up with a polished pro result but there's massive satisfaction in building something as opposed to just buying it :)

That oughta fling the cat amongst the pigeons! :ph34r:

Your right you do learn....and that comes at a cost

People are great advise givers on forums " go on mate it'll be fine" or " give it a crack you'll learn things"

Then when it all turns to poo we get " ah dam sorry dude, oh well nice day today" cause its not their hard earned money.

There's good reason for spending just that tad more you get support from those who deal with A units day to day, you don't need to know how to put a ecu together it was done so by the pro's, having a perspective of its cheap doesn't mean its good.

Like this person here hes on a budget and its long term so saving that little extra to get a better product isn't a bad deal, mates are great at giving advise ( to which they seldom take themselves ) until it turns to custody they tend to hide.

Cheap motor or trying to learn it still costs when it goes bang, the motor decides what you get not the calculator