Sign in to follow this  
Phatputer

E30 Front Valance build - Pre Facelift Schnitzer esk

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would share my current project for my old e30 I sold to my workmate, I am currently modelling a front valance based off my E30's AC Schnitzer front valance, just pushing the lip out a little further.

Below is a link to where I am at and to gallery of the progress so far.

dCqOSE4l.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/1GKyg

Basic process I am going for with this one off is build a mold directly onto a spare bumper with expanding foam, carved to shape,

glue foil over the whole thing.

Fiberglass over the whole thing,

Once I have established a reasonable outter shell we will pop the whole thing off, remove the original foam and build the fiberglass up from behind, I can then clean up / sand and body filler the front , primer and spray.

Be interesting to see how it turns out, has been fun project so far, also repaired side skirts .

Edited by Phatputer

Progress:

Gallery Updated with 3 more photos, basically just building up layers on the back of the bumper and formed the lip for the inner guards,

Where I left this off this morning.

IELg7eCl.jpg

And an earlier image after it was pulled from the foam backing and tested back on the car.

lZNpTNkl.jpg

cool! sorry i didnt see it a bit earlier! i like the AC Schnitzer kit on E30s, have a look at the E34 kit as well for a bit more inspiration, on the E34 it comes up and makes the front bumper more square, of course with the E30s idependant bumper, this would mean it would have to be a three piece front kit rather than one piece like the E34

I have the original, and it will be staying on this e30, this build is for the 4 door pre facelift I sold to my workmate, my car just tends to live in the garage a bit more than his does, so using it to build from, yet making a few subtle changes and see how they work out.

bXjtSFR.jpg

Edited by Phatputer
  • Like 1

Bit of an update, finished fiberglassing the back of the piece, and cleaning up and started sanding the front.

Was going to get onto body filler but ended up pulling apart another e30 and swapping the interior between the cars, always tomorrow

MZu7GXul.jpg

All images -> http://imgur.com/a/1GKyg

Body filler done last night, overkill but that is what sanding is for

C2FNtnAl.jpg

And tonight, lots and lots and lots of sanding, then prep, then high build primer

UO20eVol.jpg

dOGjvgbl.jpg

8H3KODll.jpg

1AUkX9fl.jpg

HRd8TLKl.jpg

Looks like it came out pretty good, nice work. I'll have to take a look once it's all done. How's that interior looking now with the grey seats?

Interior is a whole lot more pleasant since swapping the blue for grey, cheers for that, should have this painted and on the car by Friday then workmate is away for the week, final piece of this puzzle will be rear valance then body tidy up. A whole lot of favors he will owe me after this.

Paint done, colour matched,
new gun, so was having a bit of trouble getting some of the setup right , we also screwed up the thinning ratio initially so got a few runs, but hey, this isn't professional garage and still turned out alright, nothing that can't be fixed later.

sVJQie0l.jpg

79KqJNAl.jpg

vTxx55Yl.jpg

LvEDcYOl.jpg

After a few more hours than I anticipate we got the front and side skirts mounted, taking a break for a week or so before moving onto building the rear valance, then onto tidying up the rest of the body work.

After paint stripping the chrome bumper, previous owner had painted it black
O8v0IWwl.jpg

Transferring the bumper plastics and adjusting to fit the new lower part
ygFgr0wl.jpg

vyQhf7Ol.jpg

Poor shot of side skirts, but it was already 11pm and I have work tomorrow
Mg71HAUl.jpg

nGEvWP2l.jpg

Shiny
la3RU3wl.jpg

• Like 1

that looks awesome man, fantastic work. if you feel like taking moulds.......wink wink

• Like 1

Cheers guys, might consider taking moulds at some stage when time allows

• Like 1