Sign in to follow this  
Jemzzz

E36 Jatco to Manual

Yup. Not hard, just need patience & skinny arms, a little common sense, some time and the right tools :)

What ya need?

yes many times

Thanks for the reply guys!

Ive got the box on, everything on, cranked it, only the starter is spinning, wont engage flywheel.

What ive tried:

-chsnge starter

-clean the ground strap on engine

- clean contacts on starter

-check wiring all right

Dont know what else to do running out if ideas help!!!!

Firstly, is the solenoid throwing the starter gear forward when spinning up? If no, sort the starter/wiring/grounding/battery out. Battery could be the demon here if it is flat/weak etc.

If yes, did you install the flywheel hard up against the crank or did you use the spreader/shim (example shown here as part #10 http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E30-2-doors/Europe/325i-M20/R-M/1987/browse/engine/flywheel_twin_mass_flywheel/#pos_10 )between the crank end and the flywheel? (seen this done a few times now by certain to remain unnamed persons with the same outcome as you are having... :ph34r: ).

Any doubt here, you need to measure the distance from the rear block-bellhousing mating face to the front face of the ring gear and then check that the starter gear shows sufficient forward travel to properly mesh with the ring gear. (I am too far from my shed right now to measure what the block-flywheel gap should be- and it is belting down outside!).