Sign in to follow this  
trottsky

Twin Screw Superchargers

Has anyone on here ever supercharged their BMW? I don't know why but they've always interested me more than turbos. I think it's the sound more than anything, which is why it'd have to be twin-screw rather than the centrifugal type as they're pretty quiet in comparison! Anyway I've found a company that actually make a kit for s50/m52 which quote pretty awesome power figures. It looks like a really good quality kit too! It's just a pipe dream at the moment as it's roughly 9k USD which is twice what I paid for my whole 328, but thought I'd share it as it looks cool as. You'd have a pretty unique car if you got this fitted up to it too :D

have one on my 96 328i coupe , just the snail type :)

• Like 1

Great idea. I think they offer quite a cool unique package.

I'm playing around with plans to supercharge my V8 Soarer, using a cheaper roots type unit, but I've also pondered what an intercooler/supercharged setup would go on my 2JZGE straight 6 Soarer,

Comes back to the same thing for M5X engines, certainly could do something quite effective.

I would probably use an M50 iron block with the better head, or whatever it is they do, remove the intake and use that space to make a quality custom manifold to mount a water air heat exchanger and the supercharger etc. Just a modest 5-7psi would be pretty decent for a 30-40% gain.

All comes down to how much you want to spend really / how much work you can do yourself locally.

• Like 1

Yeah it's hard to decide to take the plunge into it. A supercharged 2j would be pretty cool! If I was to do it myself rather than buy the kit, then I'm sure there'd be a lot of research into charger size, water/air intercooler systems due to space issues etc. Then to do it properly I'd want to at least rebuild the head, all leading to the car being off the road for a long while (obviously as it would be a project)!

If I have a windfall I'll definitely be buying that kit :) then stronger gbox,clutch,diff..............ha

I think a lot of us keep coming back to the catch-22. For all the thousands of dollars in upgraded parts, time etc it still works out to be more cost effective to just go out and buy an ///M.

Worth it if you want the individual factor but dubious just for the power increases :)

Yes and no.

While an M car is great, you're buying a 20K+ car that is high maintenance and because its an M car it would have been driven enthusiastically for most of its life. Typically you'll find a regular 330i M or something has just been driven casually by a mature owner will be in better condition - of course this is a generalization but I think the logic stands.

At least with a genuine M car you will have all the unique features and the M suspension, quicker rack, LSD, big brakes and axles, something that most non- M cars don't have, you could spend at least 5k on an E36/46 upgrading the suspension and brakes to that of an M car standard so not cheap.

A good buy for someone who doesn't want to have to modify or do custom work and doesn't mind dealer services costs. But if you wanted a project that takes a bit of time and money its hard to beat building something yourself starting with a cheaper car

If you had a 328i, in factory spec they are a "191hp / 280nm" car. I would expect a 6-7 psi setup that is intercooled and ignition / fueling is tweaked to suit such boost a realistic 40% hp/nm gain should be expected on those figures, of course its just a general guide - removing the tuned M52 intake runners would affect things to a degree... but....

140% of 191/280 does make for 267hp and 392nm - theoretically. Heck thats more torque than an E46 M3.

That kinda flywheel figure is pretty realistic too, that would equate to at least 200-220hp at the wheels,..

Graham aka Bravo proved that too, I recall with his cars M20B25 S/C setup made150rwkw / 200hp.

Blah blah blah. :P

• Like 1

Was looking at it more from the perspective of someone who doesn't have the space / time / expertise / available cash to take on such a project.

As far as hp/tq gains from FI on the M5x engines all you need to do is look up Garrets thread on his B28 drift car. Mental! Big undertaking but it does show what can be achieved.

I'd be keen to find out what locally available used superchargers would fit the bill for an I6. The Toyota SC14 (?) that Greg used on his M3 a while back proved unable to shift sufficient volumes of air for the 3 litre without acting as a heater. Possible to adapt an Eaton M90 as used on the V6 SC commodores maybe? No idea, but it'd be pretty cool to find out!

• Like 1

M cars are always going to be awesome and I'd have one in a heartbeat. But yeh it's just fun to imagine what you can do to the car you have outside on the drive! I think I'd just be after a fast street use, so as long as it had the brakes to stop it and suspension mods to put the extra power down in a "controlled" manner then I'd be happy! Watch this space.......but don't hold your breath I've got some saving to do/a car to find that I'm happy to drive while this one is off the road

• Like 1

Ok, a quick look at the customs site gives us $2000 in import duties, on top of the nearly $14000 for the supercharger kit.

I'd budget on a new clutch and flywheel, if not while the blower is being installed then very soon afterwards :D 1k-ish for aftermarket or similar for an E34 M5 kit. OEM flywheel will be a ballbuster too.

To effectively get the power to the road, LSD is a must. $1500 + install for a Torsen medium case centre, possibly better off to go with an Evo large case LSD, so you'll also need the M3 diff carrier and axles. Approx $1000 for the diff before it's freshened up with new discs and good luck finding the M3 driveline parts.

The 188mm diff will probably take the abuse for a while but who knows for how long.

Engine wise I'd be aiming for a full teardown and replacement of any bits that look marginal. At the very least it'd be new head gasket and bolts, new oil gaskets top and bottom, cooling system overhaul etc. Probably another $2000 in parts depending on what needs doing.

Turn your attention to your suspension setup. All in good shape? More moneys there too, again relative to what you want / needs doing. Some stickier rubber wouldn't go astray either. Bigger brakes? Probably required by the cert given you're doubling the hp but only gaining 60 ft/lb tq.

Before the engine refresh and suspension / tyres I can see the project costing $20,000, add the cert and your future insurance nightmares to the picture and it's gonna be frighteningly expensive for those 400-odd claimed hp.

Pitch all that against the reshelled E39 M5 that was on Trademe a few days ago (not sure if it's sold yet) for $18000 and in my books (for what its worth) it's a no-brainer.

I must add that I am wearing my Devils Advocate hat here - the hoon in me thinks that the kit is a f*cking awesome idea and to hell with the money!

Now if you could find a shop that would be willing to make you an adapter plate to mount the M90 Eaton as mentioned earlier to an M50 manifold, get Gavin to remap your DME to suit the extra fuel etc, it could possibly be done for much, much cheaper. The research and learning curve would be huge, but well worth the effort.

(Or just talk Brent into selling the blower kit thats on his coupe. Much easier ;) )

Haha excellent break down dude! Yes well I love the e36 shape, so maybe it's worth taking mine off the road or a few years while all the awful examples die off. Who knows how it'll pan out but it's gonna be fun............and expensive.........and time consuming

• Like 1

Ok, a quick look at the customs site gives us $2000 in import duties, on top of the nearly $14000 for the supercharger kit.

I'd budget on a new clutch and flywheel, if not while the blower is being installed then very soon afterwards :D

Also open trade account with favourite tyre distributor :lol:

• Like 1