Sign in to follow this  
NUSTAD

III5

Time to stop reading other peoples projects and start a thread of my own as a motivational driver to make some progress.

As a spotty graduate at PwC the Australasian Partner had an E39 M5.....I had a 1972 Datsun 1600. One days I said I wills have me one of dose......

Fast forward 10 years and after two years of serious looking but not touching I was finally in a position to buy. Swooped on a 2 owner 2003 M5 lurking in a garage in Paratai Drive. The owner wasn't sure what the sport button did so it hadn't been thrashed. Well depends what you mean by thrashed......the interior of the boot was full of building rubble and there was 10 years worth of body slime on the steering wheel and switches.

With only 95k on the clock and a full service history I wasn't about to say no to finally looking and touching......

First job was to compile the list of jobs. Cleaning........cleaning.....cleaning.

Get rid of Roadstone tyres - enter Michellin PSP2s

Replace worn steering wheel (thanks Ray @HellBM)

Martin (breakmywindow) diagnosed duff thermostat - parts bought......not quite fitted....

Get rid of tow bar - new rear insert for bumper purchased ready for that job.....

New oil separators and hoses.....not quite fitted........

MMMMM - liberate aural pleasure - Remus cans.....this time fitted.....improvement but I would still like louder aural pleasure........

Tints.....thanks Amber and Car Folie.

Now restoration is being prompted by dog vs car incident. Dog ran off with a yelp, front end of III5 scarred and littered on Coromandel roads.

Happy to say every little improvement brings me much satisfaction. Still much to do.

Pic below from day of purchase

post-2431-0-06857500-1437130190_thumb.jp

Vanity.......

post-2431-0-46459000-1437130258_thumb.jp

Stretching legs on Thames Coast road with mate in his e36 M3 evo. Nice car.....

post-2431-0-02159800-1437130387_thumb.jp

Remus comes to town

post-2431-0-81765300-1437130455_thumb.jp

November snow - Car Folied....

post-2431-0-15811500-1437130588_thumb.jp

M5 love in

post-2431-0-84952100-1437130756_thumb.jp

III5 vs dog....

post-2431-0-60654800-1437130828_thumb.jp

Repairs pending........

Edited by NUSTAD
  • Like 3

If anyone is wondering about my random plate it's a play on the the Motorsport stripes and 5.....anyway I found the original plate ugly.....

• Like 1

NIce to see a new project thread for me to read on my night shifts.

I'll be watching with interest.. B)

Great to see Glenn, the satisfaction will drive you. Beautiful car too, you have a real gem there.

I too will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Dog vs car incident now being fixed - new front bumper and lower grille, new fog light and bumper trim. While I am at it refinishing rear bumper, taking off tow bar and putting on new lower valance that goes above exhaust. In the process have to get two replacement bumper shocks since they buffed when tow bar was fitted by previous owner. Pics next week.

Front and back now tidy after paint and parts. Tow bar removed - had to buy bumper shocks to fit bumper back on. New factory clutch ready for day when needed.....thanks Martin for organising. Rubbish photos from in the garage......it's raining.....

post-2431-0-52992900-1439192986_thumb.jp

post-2431-0-65544200-1439193004_thumb.jp

• Like 5

you're missing a white cap for the screw on the rear number plate! its a disaster!

Ouch, what was the circumstance of the dog incident?

Came round the corner, two dogs chasing each other and no where to go........dog ran off so not too bad.

• Like 1

you're missing a white cap for the screw on the rear number plate! its a disaster!

Ha ha - you are right and it wrankles.....anyone know where to get them?

And it's not straight :D

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Yes

And it's not straight :D

Yes I take responsibility for that - I will clearly need to fix said blemish

Inspired by Martin's delving into the technical innards of the "vanus" on his M5 I have replaced the badge on the back........

Also put in a new battery and Michelins on the front so I have a matched set all round.

Before....

post-2431-0-88840300-1443323797_thumb.jp

After.....

post-2431-0-89716700-1443323881_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Yes

Yes I take responsibility for that - I will clearly need to fix said blemish

Should get a plate frame, so much easier to mount euro plates with them.

Another highly challenging job - running out of easy stuff and need to put on my big boy undies for the thermostat!

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Gearing up for a new gear knob....leather worn though on old one....Posted Image

Plus new oil separators and associated gubbins to go with new thermostat and a full service.....

Posted Image

Plus a clean after two road trips in the rain - great to catch up with Dave and compare cars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Saved up for OCD treatment.   The original paint was covered in swirls.   Stage 4 plus ceramic coating.

Very impressed by OCD and how they roll - great experience so far.

b7_31385694876_o.jpg

• Like 1

Wow those seats came up nice.