Sign in to follow this  
Shorty

Flywheel options

Hey guys,
I have just ordered a clutch kit minus the flywheel, as there isn't much life left in my clutch :( anyway, it have just ordered a standard clutch kit - nothing special, however, I have no idea what the condition of the current flywheel is so I'm wanting to look at flywheel options.

Car is: 328i E36 M52B28

I have been told that you can get the flywheel skimmed, but have also been told that because it's a dual mass flywheel you can't get it skimmed... So just wondering what my options are and what you recommend?

I don't want to spend a ton of money, however, if the clutch is being done, I might as well get it done right the first time.

Also how hard is this as a DIY? - probably a stupid question, but have done 3 manual conversions - so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty :) and I'm always up for a challenge when it comes to cars/maintenance/repairs

Depends on how many kilometres are on the fly wheel.

The Dual mass flywheel  systems get sloppy after high k's and replacing the flywheel transforms engine smoothness, gear changing and reduces gearbox vibration/ chatter.

Just done the X5 flywheel and clutch at 260,000 km and  the fly wheel was well poked- new everything means it now drives like a petrol manual  car not a clunky diesel truck.

My 328 is at 242,000km and pretty sure the dual mass fly wheel is getting a bit tired as well but the clutch should do another 100,000 km so I am 'living with it' .

So answer for you - yes you can probably skim the fly wheel - should you ?  no probably not.

If its done over 150,000km - replace the whole lot clutch/ cover & flywheel

Cool thanks yeah she's done 210,000 kms. Is there a solid flywheel conversion? Pros and cons?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Will depend on what the condition of the dual mass flywheel is and if it can be reused. If it cannot you have two options replace it with another dual mass and the appropriate clutch pressure plate set up expensive. Or go a solid one piece flywheel with appropriate spring loaded clutch plate and pressure plate also expensive but less trouble in the long run i.m.o. Used a solid flywheel clutch set up on the M54 when converting it to manual was around 1300 odd from NZAD in Auckland.

Edited by tim 325

I agree with Ron. Solid clutch is viable but not with the clutch kit youv'e probably got as far as I know. I did mine, but you would need to trade in your right arm to do it my way

I agree with Ron. Solid clutch is viable but not with the clutch kit youv'e probably got as far as I know. I did mine, but you would need to trade in your right arm to do it my way

Clutch kit hasn't arrived yet still time to change

if there is to much play in the dual mass flywheel , then the new clutch wont last 10k's.

better to get it apart 1st , then decide , but I woul dsay factor in a new flywheel at those k's

most I see with those ks are pretty stuffed

solid flywheel is a good idea , just don't go too light if its a road car .

but you will need to buy them as kit

Hmm yes it's a road car, daily driver. before I got it 4.5 years ago the clutch had apparently been done but I have no proof of that, and to be fair they could have done it a long time before selling it. Will research more options and put my order on hold

Solid flywheels are fine if you are looking to hot the car up but it would be the last item  on my list after --  headers, cams,  air intake mods, then remap .

If you are not planning  the above then there is no real benefit in going to a lighter or single mass fly wheel.

You get noisier gearbox, more engine and drive train vibration and more gearbox wear  for what?

The transformation on the X5 was staggering like rattley old shitter to new car

Cool thanks. No plans for cams/headers/intake at this stage. I mean I would love to... but the budget doesn't stretch that far at the moment

Play it safe.... Go for broke with a new standard clutch kit and new dual mass flywheel at that mileage, especially if it's already been done before

• Like 1

Play it safe.... Go for broke with a new standard clutch kit and new dual mass flywheel at that mileage, especially if it's already been done before

Based on my own experience with my 540is I would agree with this comment.

I put in single mass flywheel and new pressure plate / sprung clutch plate etc in my 540 and it is just fine. However, I liked the original dual mass flywheel setup. It was smoother and in my opinion it just suits the style of car better. If it was a race car then it might be different, but BMW road cars are not race cars.

So the car is sorted now, got a new clutch and flywheel, went with a single mass.. and wow the power I was loosing is insane, one of those things, you don't really realise until it's fixed.

I also recently spend a couple hours in the garage and changed the PCV valve, wasn't as hard as the guys had made it out to be, haha now they owe me a box of beers! Have also recently upgraded suspension to a set of coilovers..

And now only one more thing to add to my list is fixing my rocker cover gasket leak...

She also got a full cut, polish and wax 2 weekends ago :)

The lastest project was also turning our future family wagon (E46 330i touring) into a manual version of it's former self, bigger task then we had anticipated, but thanks to Juned at Manukau Vehicle Servicing, we are all sorted and now the E46 is a car we love to drive.