Sign in to follow this  
agent75

E30 love

Hi all

I have an e30 318i manual 5 speed road car. I think I'm in love. No plans to put a v8 in it at this stage, the e36 steering rack mod was tech enough (but well worth it). It's not a race car but was wondering who supplies the chip and cam for the series and is it road enough for a road car. Also, i guess there are head, exhaust, compression alterations which are paired with this or would a tight standard engine respond well to them?

Also the 44 gallon drum that doubles as the rear muffler is sounding like a babies rattle. What do people replace it with? I see that there will be some fabbing required for the mounts as the wrap around the giant clamps. I'm in Christchurch

Also still looking for 325 front and rear sway bars!

Youd be better off putting an m20b25 in it mate. More bang for your buck.

How did i know that would be the first reply! Nope, keepin the m40. I doubt that a cam and a chip will cost more than a repower but prove me wrong by sourcing we all the 2.5 bits from front to back for less than the cost of a cam and a chip

it may cost less to cam and chip but for minimal gains. when you could turbo or repower for a little more and have an actual noticeable difference. otherwise give me your $$$$ and ill flush it down the toilet for you

• Like 1

I like the feel of the 4 with a lighter nose and prefer going around corners than seeing who's boss on a straight bit of road. I'd just buy a 6 if i wanted one. I'm more interested in the handling side at the mo and I doubt the differences are as stark as you say as I've seen the 2.5s and the 1.8s swapping places at the pointy end in the racing.

I like the feel of the 4 with a lighter nose and prefer going around corners than seeing who's boss on a straight bit of road. I'd just buy a 6 if i wanted one. I'm more interested in the handling side at the mo and I doubt the differences are as stark as you say as I've seen the 2.5s and the 1.8s swapping places at the pointy end in the racing.

Shane Ill stand up for ya, I totally agree. The M40s, while lacking punch and typically the nice options, are much better handlers than the M20 cars, particularly with 325i suspension upgraded.

post a picture of your muffler if you want, sounds like its not the original one.

Except the series pits the 2.0s against the 1.8s. The 2.5 is significantly quicker again, and there is no way a 1.8 will ever come close. In saying that, I'm intending to build a track car with an m42, because little four bangers can be a hoot!

Except the series pits the 2.0s against the 1.8s. The 2.5 is significantly quicker again, and there is no way a 1.8 will ever come close. In saying that, I'm intending to build a track car with an m42, because little four bangers can be a hoot!

oooooh, that explains a lot with 2.0 vs 1.8! I'm hearing you on the m42 front, that really appeals to me but i thought they were rockinghorse sh*t in NZ.

Shane Ill stand up for ya, I totally agree. The M40s, while lacking punch and typically the nice options, are much better handlers than the M20 cars, particularly with 325i suspension upgraded.

post a picture of your muffler if you want, sounds like its not the original one.

Thanks! It goes well but i'm definitely up for the 325 sway bars if i can find them. I'm certain it's standard muffler as it was owned by my mates mum and the mounts look original. i'll try attaching a photo

post-52211-0-48616100-1437730846.jpg

Edited by agent75

Since you already have an M40 manual then a swap to M42 would be pretty easy. You should be able to find one pretty easy, they are not all that rare. The power gains would be bigger than a cam and chip on the M40 and I would think a good running M42 might be cheaper than buying the cam and putting it in.

An M42 swap is certainly worth considering - you would then have the great handling of the 4cyl and a much better platform for any future development. It might cost a bit more, but I think it would only be a few hundred more.

Thanks for that. This m42 talk has prompted me to save a search on trademe. I'm not in a massive hurry - handling first , power later. Good to know they arent as rare as i thought. I'll get it to a track day or two and see what i hate/love about it first. My shakedown runs have all been on the summit road between Mt Pleasant and Evans pass which, if you know the road, leaves no room for error (sky ground sky ground sky ground.........thud). I'm loving my e36 rack, just enough quicker so i don't have to pretzel my arms to turn a corner.... recommended

Cams and chips are supplied by the Race Series, I can pm you pricing if you are still interested.

M42 is not that common, lots more of the M44 kicking around from E36s and compacts. No idea on the differences, or how hard it is to put one into an E30...

• Like 1

there are plenty of E36 M42s kicking around

The E30 M42 is a much rarer beast here

the E36 engine wont fit into the E30, the sump is in the wrong place, the loom is back to front, and if i remember right the intake also fouls on the brake booster etc. its certainly a different intake manifold
You could use an E36 block, head and ancillaries, but you will need to import the correct manifold, loom and DME to run it and the right sump. also possibly different engine arms too, the e36 type will most likley line line up ok but may be too short vertically, probably will need custom mounts and/or arms to suit.

Jump on a UK based E30 page if you are serious about doing an M42 swap, those guys will be able to help, much more common over there.

US based forums will also help, all thier 318i have M42, no such thing as a M40 over there. but bear in mind they are LHD not RHD so some things are different.

I have done some research in the past. This link should give you a feel of how much work is needed.

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Engine_Swap_-_M42

The only problems really are the exhaust manifold and drive shaft and the wiring would take some more research, a lot of the m40 parts can be swapped over.

Hmmm, I think that's all very doable but will probably put the engine transplants on the back burner for now. especially if Im importing things from america to do so with their damn appreciating dollar.

any recommendations on a rear can? The current one is prob a WOF fail because its cracked