Sign in to follow this  
m4ttyt

Need better exhaust than stock on 545i

Hey all -

This my new ride!

post-15454-0-69929700-1438080692.jpg

Looking to beef up the sound a bit from stock - been searching muffler deletes and all sorts of things. I am on budget and looking for the most cost effective way to produce a bit more sound from this sleeping beast. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

In Palmerston North area

Cheers!

• Like 2

The cheapest would be to gut the cat(s).

Just make sure it wont affect any sensors.

M4ttyT what did you end up doing? I have a similar vehicle and after YouTubing/reading some material I had a delete done but kept the stock. Just as well as the noise is just too much and the drone is simply horrible. 5min in the vehicle and I was feeling like a complete idiot.

Lucky it was a cheap and reversible experiment!

After driving an Audi Allroad 4.2V8 (*beautiful* sound with stock exhaust!) I do feel that the stock exhaust on the 545i is anaemic but better to be refined and powerful rather than a droning monster!

My buddies 550i has a sweet sounding exhaust I will try and find out what's been done to it.

don't get me started on cat deletes; catalytic converters are the good things that convert the carcinoegenic output of our modern unleaded fuel into 'safe' polutants.

deleting them from the emissions controls systems certainly gives a quick power gain. it's the low-brow approach; take the road less travelled! For something we drive daily, adding uncontrolled emissions of carcinogens into the atmosphere that our families/friends/colleagues/countrymen breath is questionable.

Race cars - sure, go ahead.

/rant

• Like 3

^^^^ Yep not sure why the powers that be haven't made it manditory to maintain them if OEM fitted by now - considering the emissions requirements on vehicle imports now.

And yes - there will be a drone when deleting cats with a piece of pipe in place of.

• Like 1

agreed, we should have had a government with the courage to introduce emmissions testing, twenty years ago.

The cheapest would be to gut the cat(s).

Just make sure it wont affect any sensors.

That is probably one of the worst things you can do.

Cats aren't mufflers, they don't cut noise by design. Better off to deal with the mufflers that are noise cancelling.

Have you had a modern car without cats too? They smell terrible & that is a bad smell.

Just got the 545i restored back to stock exhaust but with butterfly valve sprung open. Aside from being sane and pleasant to ride in the car again, there's a little more volume when you're not giving it welly. The horrible 1500-2000RPM drone is history!!!!

If life was about winning with the most stupid points, I'd have moved up a few ranks with the muffler delete :D

• Like 3