Sign in to follow this  
qube

Best wheels on an e36?

just for fun, wondering what peoples favorite wheels are?

preferably stay within the BMW Factory wheels options but other choices are still welcome!

my top 5 in no order

style 24 (the ones on my car hehehe)

style 32

style 5

contours

csl wheels/apex arc8's

Style 24's staggered.

The E36 328i M-Sport coupe came on some very nice BBS's as standard in the UK, I always like them, followed by the M3 Evo Sunflowers for E36.

post-2707-0-02151200-1438131956.jpg

• Like 2

cant say im a big fan of the sunflowers. not sure why as most people love then. i think one of the reasons i dont like them is because they are difficult to clean...

Style 5

Style 66

Style 40

Style 21

Style 127

Style 91

Then the obligatory Alpina, BBS, AC Schnitzer etc.

All outside my budget though :(

G zeros, followed closely by Titans (with no centre caps of course)

• Like 3

really??

Yes

Personal opinions are just that. Style 24s really do nothing for me at all, but they do for others so thats cool :)

haha no offence intended. I thought maybe it was a typo. i cant find a pic with style 91s on an e36 though? got a pic?

I quite liked style 68s from E46s on my E36. But my favorite would be the E36 type II M3 wheels.

841253_10200676183532165_813066939_o.jpg

haha no offence intended. I thought maybe it was a typo. i cant find a pic with style 91s on an e36 though? got a pic?

No, but a buddy of mine fitted a set to his coupe a while back and much to my surprise I really liked the end result. Would have taken a massive amount of guard rolling and dicking about with the suspension to get it drivable, but still looked pretty good to me.

Out of spec offset aside (which can be counteracted by intelligent suspension and panel modification - form over function always comes at a price), how much real world difference is there in wheel weight vs performance?

In terms of swinging a 16 to 18kg rim plus tyre totalling somewhere around 26 to 28kg's on a suspension system designed for something in the range of 18 to 20kg's would be significant.

Thats a significant increase in mass to control --- so shock valving etc and spring rates would be compromised and all that extra rotating mass will suck up acceleration and add gyrscopic effect.

So if the increased weight were taken into account as far as springs and dampers are concerned then the extra weight (say, if using the wheel from the 7er) would be mitigated. Admittedly it's a whole lot of unnecessary work and expense for the sake of aesthetics but it could be done, if so desired.

For interests sake, the style 66 (E39) seemed to be roughly the same weight as the style 68 (E46). Given the obvious difficulties that the lower (20mm difference?) offset causes would that have a tangible impact on day - to day driving? And any noticeable gain from the marginally increased track?

Sorry for digressing Kyu!

Going to have to say Style 21. Hopefully I can afford them one day, but until then I'll have to stick to my fake Schnitzer type 2's

post-51425-0-83474500-1438164218.jpg

post-51425-0-51381100-1438164351_thumb.j

bonnet bra!

nice e36! is that an EZLIP? i was gonna put some on my car but i found that the angle goes a bit weird when u have the turn it just before the wheel arch

can u provide a pic of the underside so i can see how it was applied? cheers

Cheers bro :) haha yeah it's essential for winter Queenstown roadtrips, the gravel gets pretty intense!

Yes it's an EZlip, the msport bumper didn't have enough presence so I bought the factory plastic lip, still wasn't happy but I couldn't go any lower because of the state of the roads (christchurch). So I got the EZlip, it actually looks really good for what it is, needs replacing now though as it's been on for 1.5years and gets scraped daily. It's still stuck on though! It's just looking a bit frayed along the front. Can't get a pick right now but it literally just sticks on with 3M foam tape (it's really good). Only tip is don't pull it tight as you go around the bumper corners or it deforms a bit

Did u have to cut out little v shaped triangles around the corner?