Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

85 525e First car

There's no link in your post above, can you please repost? I'm curious to read about this.

You're right, I forgot about the displacement difference. I plan on putting a 731 head with 325i cam on in the near future so I would need a retune then anyway.

also compression ratio differences , might ping a bit. remap will be in order to get it running well

Any progress Eli?

Are we going to see it on the 21st???? :)

• Like 1

Any progress Eli?

Are we going to see it on the 21st???? :)

Slow progress. I've got the loom installed, started on a harness adaptor and reassembled everything for testing once I figure out the wiring side of things.

I need to extend a couple of wires to reach (oil sensor) and get a rubber tube adaptor to go between the intake boot and the temporary pod filter (stock airbox doesn't fit just yet). Also a bunch of minor stuff.

I've been too busy helping friends with their e36s lol. Including m50 swapping a 318is.

I hope to have it wof'd and reged by the 21st. If this current plan doesn't work I've got 3 backup plans (motronic 1.1/1.3, correct flywheel or m52b28 swap, which I hope will be happening anyway).

• Like 2

So... Third loom lucky. I've decided to stop pursuing the m50 loom idea (as cool as it is) and focus on KISS. I've installed an e30 1.1./1.3 loom, m50nv injectors and m30b35 ECU and got it running for a couple of seconds this evening. Unsurprisingly it ran like a complete POS, but at least it ran and the timing wheel worked. Now I've just got to get a map sorted and reflash the ECU to an m20b27 one.

One complaint is the e30 m20 loom seems to be completely different to the e28 m20 loom as the ECU, coil, body plug and battery are all in different places, the e36 loom fitted better. I'm not sure how I'm elegantly going to fix this yet.

Edit: I've got the software and hardware to remap the ECU, just not the know how of what to actually change the maps etc too (different injectors and compression ratio to any existing bins I can find). How much would it cost to get a pro to write me a tune?

Edited by eliongater

I would gavin at hi velocity to do a remap on the dyno , he has done many , he might even have a file for one similar.

he has tuned my e28 a few times over the years in it different states and other e34 models etc

Flashed the m30 ECU to a motronic 1.3 m20b25 (working on an m20b27 bin)... and drove it up the drive :D . Not the smoothest drive yet, but a huge improvement. It actually has some power now. Pictures to come

Hopefully, I'll have some more progress to report this weekend.

Gratuitous rear end shot

post-51421-0-56764200-1461311486_thumb.j

• Like 1

dude, you're going to be seriously indebted to your parents. they look good on the driveway together. the cars, not your parents.

• Like 1

What is this madness, an update?!? (albeit a small one)

Got the shift linkage support welded up. It's not that pretty, but it works and is in a PITA spot.

Got the hole in the exhaust welded up.

Replaced some of the shift linkage o-rings and the white plastic thing at the bottom of the shifter.

And finally started reassembling it.

So it's not driveable yet? Come on man, get a move on!

Paul, he can't bring himself to move the driveway sculpture!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, huff3r said:

So it's not driveable yet? Come on man, get a move on!

I've been too busy working and haven't had time to spend money and time on cars

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

I've been too busy working and haven't had time to spend money and time on cars

Fair enough, I know that feeling! Well the money part, not the time part. I have loads of that currently!

I got it running. Now appears to drive fine, just idle hunts between 1k and 1.5k.

And now it looks like the alternator has died :( But at least it runs :D 

• Like 2

I don't think it's vacuum as if I remove the oil cap it gets better. I'm gonna check the AFM, TPS and ICV next.

I suspect a good run would help too since it hasn't run for 2 years...

good news!  bravo!

• Like 1

Idle issue fixed by giving the ICV some attention. Now idles consistently at 1k.

Fixed the alternator by plugging it in properly.

Drove it up the road with no issues, other than the clutch not playing ball, needs new fluid, rebleeding, new filler cap. I might change the slave cylinder while I'm there too.

Next up gearbox fluid change, new clutch fluid, new brake fluid reassemble the interior and off for a WOF.

So yeah, New Years is very feasible.

• Like 3

New slave cylinder installed, bled the clutch, redline fluid in the gearbox, new coolant. After dinner top up the brake fluid and then it's test drive time

• Like 1

All appears to be running fine (touch wood). Clutch and gearbox much nicer with new fluid and slave. Just need to sort insurance, WOF, valve adjustment, reverse light (dodgy connection, no biggy) and an occasional rattling from the rear of the car.

I also installed a new (, bigger and correct) battery

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 1