Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

85 525e First car

7 minutes ago, Olaf said:

you did that on Sunday afternoon after getting home from the Roadie?  awesome!  How's the new gearbox?

Err no, before the roadie, just doing a cumulative update ;)

so the new gearbox is patchy, and you're sending the old one off for rebuild, then?

16 hours ago, Olaf said:

so the new gearbox is patchy, and you're sending the old one off for rebuild, then?

New gearbox is ok, but yeah, that's the plan

Performed said oil change.

Swapped out the gear knob for one that doesn't fall off.

Washed it, rain-x'd the windscreens, took it to the meet. Somehow managed to get it dirty in that time...

I also think I may have developed an exhaust leak somewhere

• Like 1

Listed it for sale :(

(the exhaust leak was fixed and it threw through it's WOF)

As one last hurrah, we got featured in the dominion post.

IMG_0488.thumb.JPG.5ae081b49ea9164e52e227a52d0477f5.JPG

• Like 2

Replaced PS belt, alternator belt, alternator adjuster bracket, PS adjuster nut, 2 of the 3 temp sensors in the thermostat.

Seems to run better now, but requires more testing.

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 1

Replaced most of the vacuum lines and the valve cover gasket. Oil + filter change. Continues to “just work” (as in it hasn’t broken down on me, unlike the e46...)

Edited by eliongater

4 hours ago, eliongater said:

Continues to “just work” (as in it hasn’t broken down on me, unlike the e46...)

That wasn't a break down.

That was sheer bad luck. :(

@gjm oh no I wasn’t talking about that. I was talking about the two times it’s left stranded... expansion tank and fuel pump.

• Sad 1

Cumulative update.

Changed the diff oil and thermostat. Made some E28 coffee. The not so good; the drivers door lock broke and the odometer finally died at 164000Km

Spent last weekend doing the gumboot rally in it, performed flawlessly for 1000Km with the only casualty being the 30 year old suspension (All the bushings decided they'd had enough). Somehow managed 10.5L/100Km despite driving over both the Gentle Annie and Forgotten highway. I think I may just keep the M20 in it rather than swapping to the M30 with economy like that, and since the fun factor of the eta still had me smiling like a Cheshire cat despite being embarrassed by a Lada (my suspension was gone by that point and the lada was not stock..)

Will look into a complete suspension rebuild as well as moving to my dogbone E28 subframe and LSD. Any suggestions on what bushings, shocks etc to go for?

9909D6EF-80DD-48BF-8EB8-6B07DCFDF280.thumb.jpeg.a05fd43aa7afcebac90ba0551941bc99.jpeg

1C4AB76B-5300-4BAD-80A4-7397EEDE2FBD.thumb.jpeg.eb1296ad7c739f2caccdc7303aeeead9.jpeg

A25BBCFF-BC4B-4077-896E-965628FBAFAD.thumb.jpeg.882742993a98bd511f5b33a3e2df7316.jpeg

E3BF581C-4589-4402-8D80-9E4B344BF36A.thumb.jpeg.9eeda6dd0567ed2f7f8ebd4b2f1bec48.jpeg

Edited by eliongater
Adding words
  • Like 1