Sign in to follow this  
B.M.W Ltd

Criminal ?

A lady with a young child drove this car over the harbour bridge & motorway into our workshop yesterday for me to do a pre-purchase inspection. One subframe bolt was completely missing and the other 3 were only secure by 2-3 threads. I have no idea who worked on it and nor does the present owner.

post-4241-0-16613500-1438210621.jpg

post-4241-0-57583900-1438210644.jpg

post-4241-0-32994700-1438210727.jpg

• Like 1

I might add. Everyone is capable of making mistakes...sh*t can and does happen. We all strive in the industry to prevent this sort of thing happening. Injury or death from this negligence would put you before the courts.

• Like 1

Wow, that is unbelievable.

I've often though about shoddy work being done on cars in such ways.

Scary prospect.

Wow, lucky lady to get there in one piece that would have ended horribly.

Things like that are the reason I think the longer period between warrants is a bad idea.

• Like 4

Also a reason for licensing the Industry too, establishments and technicians

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 2

"I have no idea who worked on it and nor does the present owner."

DIY job by the owner maybe. How can he not know who worked on his car...

*Runs out to shed to look underneath the family car*

Horrifying stuff, one assumes you replaced and refined the missing bolts for the poor creature Glenn? :)

even scarier.... no PPI, chick drives the car around for 11 months!

To get like that, car must have had a recent motor swapo/clutch replacement/something along those lines??

The owner told me he knows nothing. I don't know and I won't disclose what I do know unless someone misrepresents it or tries to take advantage of someone. Yes we did fix it. I'm seeing far too much of this sort of sh*t lately... DIY maybe or dodgy workshops with untrained grease monkies... unlike trained technicians. If the owner or the purchaser want's to comment.. that's fine... I'm not going there...yet

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

It is possible the bolts have worked themselves loose after vibration ? and the intention was there. Have seen it a couple of times when threads aren't cleaned up on high load areas. He'll I've even had it happen on my e30's diff twice after torquing them to the required spec. 3rd time the f**kers got glued in with loctite.

Rear sub frame is a bit dodge though and bolt threads look fairly clean from the photos.

Sorry Josh... that's wrong. There are witness marks on the bolts and other items. I'm too wise to not see this

BTW... this is the front cross member on a E46 not the rear....look a little closer and you might see the witness marks and location

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Bloody scary & if it was a mistake - plain neglect & disgusting!

You a re right Glenn - everyone makes mistakes & sh*t does happen

In this case though - absolute neglect, one bolt not tightened - yes maybe, but all of them...

• Like 1

If the owner or the purchaser want's to comment.. that's fine... I'm not going there...yet

So its pretty clear the purchaser was Amber, yes?

Its even scarier when its someone you know driving a car in this terrible state of neglect.

• Like 2

No not Amber.... was the owners wife & child.

In this case though - absolute neglect, one bolt not tightened - yes maybe, but all of them...

With higher load components all it takes is one bolt to come loose then its only time before the others start. Its easy to over react and jump to conclusions. If you have ever done 4x4ing you will know this is a real problem with dirt getting into bolt threads, especially if the thread was dirty when put back in. Probably an honest mistake on one bolt and the other make their way loose after an amount of movement over a lengthly amount of time. It also probably not a great idea to drive a car around for a long time with a clunk going on. It would make a hell of a knocking sound when going over bumps etc.

• Like 3

I didn't purchase no car or sell an E46 - last I checked I was looking at M3s... (going by the fact my name popped up) And everyone here knows where I get all my work done so why would I bother tracking to South Auckland for a pre-purchase?

Pretty scary stuff.. At least they did a PPI

Did you run a OBD scan though Glenn?

Seriously though, that is bad.. I have missed one on my car before when the self locking nut on the other side didn't catch, one missing out of three was not so bad... by the time I got a new nut the other three were looser for sure.

Did you run a OBD scan

How else do you think the problem was found?

• Like 1

Correct... you still trying to be the local dick here ??

Correct... you still trying to be the local dick here ??

No, just having a laugh. Lighten up.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, just having a laugh. Lighten up.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

All good then..

Edited by B.M.W Ltd