Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Will this guy be up for a manslaughter charge?

Some people just don't see the difference other than price, one costs $120, the other $400. They both are black and go round in circles, job done in their mind. And why spend $800 in tyres on their $1500 car?

On the money

• Like 1

Driving mentality in NZ is backward, here its a right not a privilege.

• Like 2

The set of Yokohamas i just chucked on my daily only set me back about $600. i consider that cheap and theyre pretty good tyres. Personally, id rather a set of ling longs or triangles than a set of 10 year old goodyears or something. At least you know the chinese ones probably wont break apart, but the expired ones could.

• Like 1

This is a joke, I just failed a WOF the other day for an insecure gear knob and people can run around on dodgy old tyres like those. Wow, just wow.

• Like 5

No there are no constrains we accept second hand tyres ands we even allow snow tyres in areas that never get snow, they are rated to 80k and I was offered a GTB Subaru by a very 'reputable' dealer in Auckland that was on 6 year old snow tyres.

All totally legal.

The Coroner tried to have snow tyres banned unless fitted for purpose ( driving in snow) but we set a very low hurdle and wonder why we have so many loss of control crashes.

Share your frustration but having been to more than 500 crashes I still would refrain from wishing ill- the problem IS our legislators

Snow tyres are actually f**king awesome when used correctly... very soft compound, very useless on dry warm roads.

Can't just ban something because the NZ Public doesn't understand how it works.

and I don't know where you got the 80k limit from.

Bridgestone Blizzak's (example) are "R" Rated, which is 170kph.

• Like 1

Any legislative proposal will clearly have to have some kind of performance based metric behind it. Banning tyres because they sound Chinese will just get Bimmersport labeled as a rogue wing of the Labour party :wacko:

Snow tyres have their place. This place is not wherever in Auckland 3pedals is.

I'd like to see a minimum wear, grip and water dispersal standard instituted on all new tyres, coupled with mandatory disposal after eg 10 years. Second hand tyre imports banned- safety and an environmental concern. Or maybe a maximum of 2 year old and +7mm tread for second hand imports, and no snow tyres imported second hand.

I wouldn't expect great public support from the police hierarchy- would sound too much like "Oh we have got it wrong, the road toll isn't actually ALL about pissed speeders" and you'd have to catch a politician on a good day to adopt it- I doubt it's sexy enough; and Land Transport thinks batter trained drivers will be cocky and cause more crashes so God knows what they'd think of giving everyone more grip. However I'm sure the social cost of substandard tyres contributing to accidents far outweighs the cost of creating a new law.

i think having it a WOF failure if tyre age if over a certain limit would be easy to implement, check, and would knock a lot of this on the head quickly.

• Like 1