Sign in to follow this  
CallumHarvey

Has anybody put an LS1 into an e30?

Just bought my first e30 1984 and plan to drop an Ls1 v8 into it.

Im wanting to know if anybody else has done it and if they ran in to any problems doing it.

What do you recommend that i should do differently to what you did to make it easier.

If somebody has done it, it would be good if they can give me all the info i need to do this conversion.

parts etc...

Thanks.

Cool idea, but If you don't know what parts to use, I do suspect it might be in the little hard basket :P

Theres always engine conversions going on but many seem to get abandoned half way through.

That said, put aside at least 10k if you do embark on something like this.

• Like 1

Like the saying goes "if you have to ask...."

If you typed your question in Google you will get all the info you need. Mounts. Booster options. etc etc.

Been done to death, like any other motor you could think of e30's pretty much had them all.

• Like 6

And then another 10 for the bits you've overlooked.

LSx are great power plants, light and compact and pretty reliable for what they are. Cheap to extract more power if required and ridiculously easy to find parts for.

BUT. I reckon the E30 chassis would need a lot of work to resist the torque on a long term basis. You'd need to make sure the body was 100% rust free before starting and take the time to add strength to the front and rear subframes (particular attention to the rear where the diff will mount), upgrading to a large case (210mm type, LSD would be mandatory unless you want to be marooned in a cloud of smoke) diff etc.

At a guess you'll be looking at 5-8k for an engine and auto with loom, add another 2k-ish if you want a manual box; 6k or thereabouts for suspension and brakes that will actually work; and up to 10k for rust removal and reinforcements plus the custom bits you'll need to get the bigger diff and axles in the hole.

Don't get me wrong man, I really hope someone does this conversion soon, but my guess is it would be a $30,000 project at the minimum.

look on r3vlimited, very popular in the states obviously

Like the saying goes "if you have to ask...."

If you typed your question in Google you will get all the info you need. Mounts. Booster options. etc etc.

Search on r3vlimited, very popular in the states for obvious reasons

Lots of guys doing it in the states. Someone has even written a full manual for the conversion you can buy with mounts. But engine and gearbox alone are going to cost you over 10k. Probably similar cost to an m62. Keep it European.

LS1 go well in a commodore, can imagine one in an e30! might not corner so flash tho lol.

remember to budget for suspension and brakes

LS1 go well in a commodore, can imagine one in an e30! might not corner so flash tho lol.

remember to budget for suspension and brakes

IIRC LS1 is within cooee of an M50 for weight. Only the early LS's had the iron block. M50 E30s seem to handle ok :ph34r: Though with 350-ish hp and similar torques you'll probably spend most of your time looking through the side windows.....

Have a look at westys thread for his m62 conversion (toward the end of the thread) quite a bit of mucking around but worth it. Goes super well.

• Like 4

Don't get me wrong, the M6x conversion is pretty cool for keeping it all in-house but I still reckon the LSx is the better choice of engine.

(Waiting for the angry mob to shout me down )

M60B40 210kW, 400Nm torque vs 257kW, 470Nm for the LS1. Easier to get manual boxes for too, and a smaller & lighter powerplant.

Yeah it's a dinosaur tech yank lump, but good God they're fun!!

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, the M6x conversion is pretty cool for keeping it all in-house but I still reckon the LSx is the better choice of engine.

(Waiting for the angry mob to shout me down )

M60B40 210kW, 400Nm torque vs 257kW, 470Nm for the LS1. Easier to get manual boxes for too, and a smaller & lighter powerplant.

Yeah it's a dinosaur tech yank lump, but good God they're fun!!

I agree.

I'd take one over a M62 engine. More power / less problems.

hmmm m62s is pretty reliable. You'd be talking about the single chain m62tu which is a different story. Dont get me wrong either, LS is cool .. specially the 550bhp create motors for about 15k. which is a bargin for HP value on a new motor.

• Like 1

Mmm yeah I like the early M60 and M62 dual chain, just less interested in the single chain type :P

That said, put aside at least 10k if you do embark on something like this.

Try 20k. at least - all worth it though

IIRC LS1 is within cooee of an M50 for weight. Only the early LS's had the iron block. M50 E30s seem to handle ok :ph34r: Though with 350-ish hp and similar torques you'll probably spend most of your time looking through the side windows.....

LS1 is light, lighter than an RB or whatever other weird fitting engine you could come up with

Have a look at westys thread for his m62 conversion (toward the end of the thread) quite a bit of mucking around but worth it. Goes super well.

M62 is a great idea for keeping it inhouse, if you dont give a rats about the badge go LS1 - skinnier heads (not twin cam) means a bit more room around the place for brakes etc.

Have seen M6X in E30 bays and they're tight. Like, TIGHT.

Whatever you do, a lightweight V8 in an E30 is going to be a bucketload of fun! I wish you luck and most of all an enjoyable project

Edited by SIR E30

only m60 had the dual chain , all later engines m62 and m62 tu types single row chain .

I think the ls1 ls2 ls3 etc is a good option , leight weight alloy one , heaps of parts around etc .

• Like 2