Sign in to follow this  
WYZEUP

M50 e30 gearbox q's?

Hey guys,

So i know im going to probably get told to search this but i have looked and looked but there is soo much conflicting information out there that it hasnt come to finalise my decision.

So, i am in the process of transplanting an m50 into my e30 with the plan of turbo'ing it.

So with all my researching from what i understand is the ZF box is the stronger gearbox to use over the 260?

now my next question which i seem to get so many conflicting answers is which of the two gearboxes mounts using factory mounts and brackets? as i really dont want to have to make custom mounts etc and risk driveline issues by not getting everything sitting at the corrcet angles

You use an e30 gearbox mount if using nay of the e36 gearboxes. Only the 260 needs a custom mount, since m20 and m50 have a different degree of tilt.

if the zf gearbox comes from an e30 i will have to make a custom mount then too?

another way to understand it, think of the engine the gearbox was attached to when the gearbox was new

M20 gearbox : custom mount, has its own bellhousing pattern

M10/M30 gearbox : custom, share a pattern

^^ Both of these mostly line up with the following, but only use about 7 of the 12 or 14 bolts. They all have same degree of tilt which is different to M50, so gearbox and engine do not align correctly.

M4x/M5x : Share a bellhousing and tilt. use standard E30 cross member as the gearbox and engine are aligned again

I used a zf box and the standard e30 mount with some custom bushes. Pretty straight forward really.

I used a zf box and the standard e30 mount with some custom bushes. Pretty straight forward really.

used a zf box from an e30?