Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

e46 m3 mpg...

Just took the m on a 650km round trip to New Plymouth from Wellington on a tank of gas...that's a pretty damn fine 33mpg for 105-110km/hr on the open road.

• Like 1

thats really impressive! goes to show that long distance driving it can achieve really good fuel economy!

as a comparison though, i did a 800-850km trip on a full tank in my 2002 e46 330i msport sedan a few years back. did a whole trip to rotorua from auckland and back!

• Like 1

Thats a whole lot better than the 6.1kms per litre or 14mpg I get out of the V12...lol

• Like 1

mpg is pretty universally understood but 7L/100km if you prefer.

• Like 3

MPG really ???????????????

And US mpg even!

7L/100kms is 40 miles per real gallon.... or 33US

Unless your readout is set to US MPG, then it's only actually about 8.5L/100kms...

Is everyone confused now???

Thats a whole lot better than the 6.1kms per litre or 14mpg I get out of the V12...lol

That's not so bad... we only get a tiny bit better from The '29 Ford... and it's only 40 hp (US ones too!)

• Like 1

And US mpg even!

7L/100kms is 40 miles per real gallon.... or 33US

Unless your readout is set to US MPG, then it's only actually about 8.5L/100kms...

Is everyone confused now???

That's not so bad... we only get a tiny bit better from The '29 Ford... and it's only 40 hp (US ones too!)

Whoops....forgot Google converter worked in US measures. I bow to your powers of observation....8.5L/100km it is.

Whoops....forgot Google converter worked in US measures. I bow to your powers of observation....8.5L/100km it is.

It'd be easier if they made everything standard, but the US changed their stuff! There's a UK based forum and a US one I read, so have to convert stuff for it to make sense to me... annoying as hell!

They're not bad eh

Between Taupo and Wellington I got 6.9 / 100km average ( it's down hill though) in low traffic .

I get 26.7 mpg on my 60km daily commute......10.5 in those metric thingies

Ron do you order a 473mL or a Pint at your local?

• Like 2

So Ron, what size rims have you got on the Bimmer...just asking?

• Like 5

43.18cm by 19.05cm on the front and 43.18cm by 21.59cm on the rear (e36)

:D:D:D

• Like 1

Funny, I was 10yrs old when we went metric in NZ so I grew up with both, and for the most part - relate to both. Metric, being to base 10 is simpler/more logical though.

4x2 or 6x2 is still easier off the tongue than 100x50 or 150/50

Speed - both logical

Distance - relate to both

Measurement - relate to both

Area - both but metric simpler

Weight - metric

Volume - both but metric much simpler

Pressure - still PSI for me :ph34r:

• Like 3

Funny, I was 10yrs old when we went metric in NZ so I grew up with both, and for the most part - relate to both. Metric, being to base 10 is simpler/more logical though.

4x2 or 6x2 is still easier off the tongue than 100x50 or 150/50

Speed - both logical

Distance - relate to both

Measurement - relate to both

Area - both but metric simpler

Weight - metric

Volume - both but metric much simpler

Pressure - still PSI for me :ph34r:

yep..I agree with all of those. I find it funny...all those who cry about imperial units but are still happy to blurt out "half a metre" or "quarter past six". They should be saying 0.5 of a metre or 0.25 past six.

^^^ that would be the standard for MOST kiwis.

Pass me the 1/4 inch or 5 mm spanner please.

Translates well on the metric and imperial sides of my garage

tl:dr there a wee website/app called Fuelly I like to use / track my fuel usage

205940.png

or

205940.png

OR

205940.png

1.1km commute to work, sue me

search/view/compare other bimmers there http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw

Edited by JoKer
  • Like 2

yep..I agree with all of those. I find it funny...all those who cry about imperial units but are still happy to blurt out "half a metre" or "quarter past six". They should be saying 0.5 of a metre or 0.25 past six.

wut?

• Like 2

Andrew I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your information on the fuel economy you got out of your M3 no matter what system you used. In reading the following post on this thread it reminded me of a Italian drama I think called "A much to do about nothing".

• Like 1

wut?

It was the beer talking....

• Like 2

I put as much petrol in my car, usually in $50.00 units. I don't know how long it stays in there...then I put some more in. I figured I have spent 2-3 odd grand on suspension alone and its a 4 litre V8. Why would I bother stressing out knowing what kms/l or L/kms or mpg it does.

it's like having a missus who you just bought an engagement ring for (begrudgingly...at a price you cannot repeat to anyone) and then taking her to macdonalds hoping like hell she doesn't order a large fries as well. I mean...

• Like 4

A few errors creeping in here:

Fractions and decimals are simple mathematics tools , not units of measure so half a metre is entirely reasonable and for the "time construct" the same applies the hour is divided into 60 minutes so you could as many do, say: 2:15 of 2:30 or 2:45 which means you are using the units of measure directly and that is where the systems of measurement differ completely

Imperial uses: inch, foot, yard, chain, rood, perch, furlong and mile to measure distance , but the scale is 12,3,22- etc. in other words non linear scale.

Metric typically uses millimetre, centimetre, decimetre, metre, decametre, kilometre, megametre etc. the scale is X10 so linear however we often jump in lumps of 1000.

When you look at other imperial units it becomes evem more absurd - for volume you have 1 pint, 1 quart (which is 2 pints) one gallon which is 4 quarts or 8 pints , but what if you want less than a pint - then you go to fluid onces - but Ounces are a measurement of weight , not volume.

And when you start looking at some of the relationships between units they just don't work because imperial is not an integrated system.

Try calculating water head using imperial - for metric its easy - 10kPa/m done 50 metres height is 500kPa

Knowing how the imperial measurement system works is useful for historical purposes and working on old english and american things but for any science/ engineering or related discipline is a dog that should be buried.

And like many I am familiar with both BUT, which one should we be using, and that's where I find the original post amusing "Why would you bother making the conversion to MPG?" it is just irrelevant in a New Zealand context and has been for 40 years.

Who sets their inlet valve clearances at 8 thou? that's a decimal of an inch .

and weights are another silly construct: 16 onces to 1 pound, 14 pounds to one stone 112 pounds to a "hundred weight" and 2240 pounds to a ton

Ron I agree on all, well most of that apart from - I still use 8 thou & 10 thou to set tappets.... :ph34r:

Ron I agree on all, well most of that apart from - I still use 8 thou & 10 thou to set tappets.... :ph34r:

ditto except for one thing Weight is not Mass :P

Ounces are a measurement of weight mass, not volume

So what is the point in basing fuel figures off l/100km anyway. I've always thought km per litre is easier to understand.

Some figure I've been impressed with over the years.

All open road as I don't take notice of city consumption as there are too many instances that can change the figure significantly.

E34 540i 8.6l/100km around the north island.

FG XR6 Falcon 7.2 running between Akl and Hamilton.

VE Holden Caprice 6.0 8.2 l/100km between Sydney and Melbourne

Chrysler 300c 3.6 V6 petrol, 6.2 Melb - Syd, or 6.7 with the retarded cruise control activated. Makes my 320d 5.4-5.6 figure look like a waste of time.

The ones I won't use as commuters...

My old Jeep JK wrangler 3.8 V6 2" lift (or should that be 50mm...), front & rear bars, 4.11 gearing, 14l/100km with a light foot.

FG XR 8 ute 10-10.5 north island driving.

Ducati 1098 up around 10l/100km if I keep up it and manage Akl-Wgtn in less that 5hr 30min.

Volvo 12litre 460hp 40-45 tonne 55l/100km around NZ

Mack Titan 15litre 620hp 170 tonne 95l/100km Western Australia holdin it flat.

• Like 2