Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

e46 m3 mpg...

I thought it was cause the Yanks didn't like the Frenchies.

• Like 1

So what is the point in basing fuel figures off l/100km anyway. I've always thought km per litre is easier to understand.

this was my favorite part so far

THIS is the best way to describe fuel usage/ but I am foing to rattle off all my statistics in the arrangement I said was worse

=P

& good form "3pedals" the metrics are my native language (child of the 80) had a feeling as soon as I posted about mass I had a slip-up

great thread /read, Nerdy, pedantic & OCD enough you'd think BMW Pilots would have a better reputation as Parker's / Indicator / Road users

Got 23 l / 100 km around Taupo (m3) . First time I've seen an expected range of less than 300 km on a near full tank.

• Like 2

How about we do it in metres/dollar. That way we can exaggerate our fuel figures just by going to a cheaper station eg. Mobil in Levin

• Like 1

Interesting concept

My reckoning

I have a Mini that owes me about $3k per meter

A Ducati that is roughly 5 cents per meter

A 328 that is .10 per meter and the M3 would be about $.15 per meter.

Hopefully the wife doesn't read this otherwise two vehicles will have to go

• Like 1

The maintenance has been high.

Bike spec is somewhere between R & RS. vavle train takes a hammering with RS cams

Peak power is 12250 rpm rather than the usual 10 ish.

Does 8 l / 100 km

working on old english and american things but for any science/ engineering or related discipline is a dog that should be buried.

Except the aviation engineering industry which still firmly uses imperial. I think in thousandths of an inch up to around 2mm, them flick over to mm up to around 100mm, then think in inches up to around two feet then flick over to metric from there.

What really throws me is people using stones for weight. I have *no* concept of what a stone is, kg all the way. Yet I think of height in feet and inches.

Sigh...

• Like 1

I want Metric Time, would make excel spread-sheets way easier

even that will throw a few "metrics" out like km/hr etc basically ruin society

30 mins plus 30 mins = 1 hour

vs

50 mins + 50 mins = 100 minutes/1 metric hour

Edited by JoKer
  • Like 1

you are all wrong anyway. everyone knows its directly related to how big the fuel tank it is. Costs $60 to fill, must be economical!

• Like 3

Shame excel would still be sh*t though...

all those "features" that change what you're trying to do, into exactly what you didn't want..... Have to deal with that, and Access on a daily basis :(

• Like 1

you are all wrong anyway. everyone knows its directly related to how big the fuel tank it is. Costs $60 to fill, must be economical!

If it costs $60.00 to fill, you filled the windscreen washer bottle!!

Edited by Haitoman
  • Like 1

Tho I cant decide if a whole day should be 10 hours, 5 in morning & 5 in arvo OR 10 in morning & 10 in arvo (20 total doesn't seem to make sense/be metric)

Edited by JoKer
  • Like 1

Tho I cant decide if a whole day should be 10 hours, 5 in morning & 5 in arvo OR 10 in morning & 10 in arvo (20 total doesn't seem to make sense/be metric)

Monday to Friday days basically go for 100 hours anyway so may as well make it that

• Like 3

You have had metric time since about the 1700's when they first started work on an integrtaed and linear measurement system which later became S.I.

The silly thing is time is linear and constant but then try and divide it into a day and a year both of which at not consttant

quite silly really

Not constant due to leap seconds/years?

Ignoring that a day is the time for the earth to rotate once relative to the sun. A year is the time taken for the earth to complete one orbit around the sun. Pretty good bases for measurement in my opinion.

My subaru outback 2.5 does 15l/100km around town. DRZ400 does 6l/100km. I might as well buy a V8 with those numbers.

so how is a second defined? is it some atomic thing?

Just took the m on a 650km round trip to New Plymouth from Wellington on a tank of gas...that's a pretty damn fine 33mpg for 105-110km/hr on the open road.

So this was quite good economy for this E46 M3 ;)
  • Like 1

And here I am filling up my car to the top every time it needs filling and not worrying about anything.

I always laugh when I c sum one put $20.00 in tank, by the time they get home the tank is empty again.

My motto is keep tank full in case of an emergency.

• Like 3

And here I am filling up my car to the top every time it needs filling and not worrying about anything.

I always laugh when I c sum one put $20.00 in tank, by the time they get home the tank is empty again.

My motto is keep tank full in case of an emergency.

yes wel $20 of diesel for you would get you about 30m up the road lol

• Like 1

Just took the m on a 650km round trip to New Plymouth from Wellington on a tank of gas...that's a pretty damn fine 33mpg for 105-110km/hr on the open road.

So this was quite good economy for this E46 M3 ;)

That only took four pages!!

• Like 1

So, how do I work out the imperial MPG on my electric bike?

:ph34r:

In my broadcast days we had crystal controlled clocks that had the crystal in a miniature on board oven and they maintained an accuracy of 1x 10-12 ( that's pico seconds ( 1/millionth of a millionth of a second )) later ones were accurate to 10 -15 ( femto seconds) just so your TV pix were synchronised.

That's still basically the way it's done today. There is a lot more electronic smarts in modern systems (particularly in network switches & telecommunications infrastructure) but they all still rely on quartz based OCXO's (Ovenised oscillators) for stable local references. In the data world, they also use master clocks at the centres of the telco networks (caesium or rubidium clocks) but still rely on quartz for on board local applications. The new generation of quartz based references (OCXO) are now approaching the lower performance end of atomic clock stability which is quite a stunning leap in the technology. And the better the performance of your reference, the more data you can move....

That only took four pages!!

Yep and now we gone from mpg to atomic seconds and on page 6 we going time travel,

I haven't got a clue watt they talking about,

good reading though

Yep and now we gone from mpg to atomic seconds and on page 6 we going time travel,

I haven't got a clue watt they talking about,

good reading though

Yeh...or inter-stellar travel. I have my own theories on alien propulsion systems. Since the big bang the universe is expanding so I reckon they are not coming to us, they are braking and witing for us to catch up to them. Far more efficient.

So, how do I work out the imperial MPG on my electric bike?

:ph34r:

it depends on the power stations that were in play at the time you charged it

• Like 1