Sign in to follow this  
nick34

Questions regarding '89 E34 - audio and locking

hi all,

new to these forums, so please excuse my ignorance if any.

recently purchased a 525i with a problem with the radio - cannot pick up any fm frequencies, only am. i want to know where to locate the antenna and whether there is a remedy or i need to replace something.

another problem is the drivers door doesn't lock. not even manually. i try to push it down and it feels as though it is jammed. is this a common problem? i assume one of the mechanisms has slipped or something. hopefully a matter of pulling the door card off, but again i wouldnt know where, or what to look for.

if anyone could shed some light on these problems, your own experiences maybe, and anything else of concern with these cars.

other than these issues, best car i have driven :)

thank you in advance!

check power at the white wire that feeds power to the rear window aerial amp.

also have had some of the aerial wires fail .

most likely the locking actuator has failed at the door lock

welcome to E34 ownership, they are on the whole very good cars

Something i tell all E34 owners:

When you inevitably get the 80km/h wheel shudder particularly under brakes, make sure the mechanic thoughrly checks thrust arm bushings, more common this is the cause than warped rotors (though the latter occurs now and again of course) can be big $$$ down the drain if incorrectly diagnosed by non-bmw mechanic!

not to put you off the experience!

I have had a number of E34s over the years, not the sexiest to look at, but right up the top for pleasure to own and drive, even 20-25 years after production

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Door lock from memory.. if you use the unlock procedure when the battery is dead and the central locking doesn't work, I for some reason think that it does what you describe here, if you lock the door using the key and then unlock again (assuming there is a charged battery in the car), can you then lock manually by pushing the door lock inside with the door closed?

Radio wise, is it an aftermarket head unit? has the power been connected for the antenna amplifier? (oh what Brent said :) )

Edited by melowpuf

thanks all! will give it a crack when i am less stressed for time. brent i assume this is in the wiring underneath rear seats?

the door lock doesn't push down at all, so i suspect it is jammed. and it is the factory head unit

no the radio wiring , goes from the head unit to the back left c pillar , feeds power to the aerial amp back there.

aerial amp is for the aerial that is actually in the rear window glass